Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

Nothing really crazy in there.  If there's a year when QBs fall, it's this year.  You don't get nearly as much face time with QBs as you have in previous years because of COVID-19, and OL in general are probably the "easiest" to project to the NFL.  Giants seem locked into an OL, and the recent rumors have the Dolphins and Chargers looking at OT and circling the wagon later on (Jordan Love to the Dolphins, Jalen Hurts to the Chargers).  Not sure if they're true or not, but that's the recent rumblings.  IF those 3 go OT, then you're probably seeing OT4 go off the board either to Arizona at 8 or Cleveland at 10.

As for the WRs, I've said four (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Jefferson) will go in the top 20.  I think you might see another go late first round, but majority of the next tier WR will go off the board on Day 2.

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Trent Brown is 6'8 359. McKinney was 6'8 355.

He'll be fine barring something freaky happening that no team can predict.

yeah, and trent brown was traded by the 49ers because he struggled with weight and conditioning. He wasn't 359 lbs either, he was 400+ every single camp

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Starting to feel an awful lot like Ruggs is the 49ers' receiver of choice. Matt Maiocco just mocked his selection to the 49ers, and he's fairly in tune as far as beat writers go. Fairly reliable. 

That’s the one I keep picking for you guys, even over Lamb if he’s there. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm terrified we are going to make a minor trade down to like 38 or something and then take him there. I think people are just going to say screw it and take their guy in this draft

Isnt that what Kyle and Lynch have done since day one? "screw it, lets trade a bunch of picks to go up and get dante pettis" 

Just now, N4L said:

Isnt that what Kyle and Lynch have done since day one? "screw it, lets trade a bunch of picks to go up and get dante pettis" 

Screw it, let's trade up for cj beathard.

Screw it, let's trade up for Joe Williams. 

Screw it, let's trade up for Rueben Foster

This regime should stop trading up.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Screw it, let's trade up for cj beathard.

Screw it, let's trade up for Joe Williams. 

Screw it, let's trade up for Rueben Foster

This regime should stop trading up.   

years 1 and 2: trade up to get 'our guy' a round or two before anyone else in their right mind was going to take them

year 3: lets do nothing but also draft a punter with the 8th pick in the 4th round

year 4: trade down??

2 hours ago, N4L said:

yeah, and trent brown was traded by the 49ers because he struggled with weight and conditioning. He wasn't 359 lbs either, he was 400+ every single camp

It's just rare to find guys who are so big and so athletic. McKinnie, Brown, and Becton are the exception, not the norm, and you can delineate major differences between Becton/McKinnie and Brown. 

Brown carries a lot of bad weight, but Becton is only 17% body fat. That's wild for a man his size. There's also the athleticism, which isn't even close. Forget the 40- Becton is capable of reverse dunking. This is a man that's 6'7", 365 on most days.

Coming out, his profile is so similar to Bryant's it's remarkable. Both extremely athletic and massive human beings. Both high performers to close their collegian careers. McKinnie stayed in relatively good shape for most of his career (with exception to the infamous 2011 offseason) and dealt with some injuries, otherwise he had a very good career.

It all comes down to dedication with Becton. Given the advances in sports science/sports nutrition, teams are going to have a regime that allows him to maintain good size. The real question is how dedicated will he be. No one seems to be questioning his work ethic; it's not like the guy is lazy or lacks drive. It simply comes down to controlling his habits and being less aggressive all the time.

I think he's a slam dunk pick. He'll take a little longer to adjust than the other guys, but plug him at RT or LT and marvel at what the guy can do. He'll be a highlight reel OT in short order.

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Let's say Tua is gone and the Chargers take an offensive tackle at 6 - where does Herbert land? I'm really struggling. 

Patriots? 

I wouldn't completely rule out the saints. 

Raiders at 19? Jacksonville should consider it at 20

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Let's say Tua is gone and the Chargers take an offensive tackle at 6 - where does Herbert land? I'm really struggling. 

Pittsburgh 

Oh wait, they traded their QBOTF for Minkah Fitzpatrick

That's why that trade was foolish, even if they love minkah and what he did for them last year with all of those turnovers, it was a dumb trade. 

Your 38 year old QB tears his UCL and your immediate response is to trade away your first round pick for a saftey??? Even if you get a good player back in the trade, and ben comes back and you are good for a year, now you have a much later pick and again have no chance to get your QBOTF, and Ben is a year closer to retirement. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Patriots? 

I wouldn't completely rule out the saints. 

Raiders at 19? Jacksonville should consider it at 20

It's a long way to fall isn't it. I'd probably rule out the Saints tbh, they've been in win-now mode whenever Brees has taken the field - their whole attitude to the draft the past few seasons is getting players who can help them right now. 

21 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Welcome to the struggle of my mocks. I’ve never had Herbert going 6, but most do, and they’ve never been in this situation. 

I either go 9 to Jacksonville or Jaguars trade up to 14. They aren’t sold on Minshew imo, don’t listen to Fans/Media. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

It's a long way to fall isn't it. I'd probably rule out the Saints tbh, they've been in win-now mode whenever Brees has taken the field - their whole attitude to the draft the past few seasons is getting players who can help them right now. 

It could be a big drop.  Wouldn't be unprecedented though. 

That being said, I absolutely wouldn't rule out the Saints. One, there's the obvious reason of having a long term solution behind Brees. But secondarily, they are the one team in the league that absolutely has to have 3 quarterbacks due the manner in which they deploy Hill, and their desire to keep using him in such a manner. If he gets hurt running one of those plays, and he's the actual back up quarterback, that's a problem.  If they have to use him as a full time quarterback because Brees gets hurt, I feel that is also a problem (he's not a full time quarterback, I think, and at that point, they probably can't risk him health wise). They have 5 million in space, almost all of which is ticketed for the draft class, so they can't just sign someone like Jameis or Cam to be Drew's back up right now. They are also currently strapped for cash next season (8 million over a 215 million dollar ceiling, though I suspect it will be higher than that). Specific to the Saints, that backup quarterback is more important than it is even to most teams. 

That's not to say their picking him would be likely, but I think that they would have to give it a long, hard look (assuming they like him at all...you don't draft the guy if you don't like him, of course) 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

It could be a big drop.  Wouldn't be unprecedented though. 

That being said, I absolutely wouldn't rule out the Saints. One, there's the obvious reason of having a long term solution behind Brees. But secondarily, they are the one team in the league that absolutely has to have 3 quarterbacks due the manner in which they deploy Hill, and their desire to keep using him in such a manner. If he gets hurt running one of those plays, and he's the actual back up quarterback, that's a problem.  If they have to use him as a full time quarterback because Brees gets hurt, I feel that is also a problem (he's not a full time quarterback, I think, and at that point, they probably can't risk him health wise). They have 5 million in space, almost all of which is ticketed for the draft class, so they can't just sign someone like Jameis or Cam to be Drew's back up right now. They are also currently strapped for cash next season (8 million over a 215 million dollar ceiling, though I suspect it will be higher than that). Specific to the Saints, that backup quarterback is more important than it is even to most teams. 

That's not to say their picking him would be likely, but I think that they would have to give it a long, hard look (assuming they like him at all...you don't draft the guy if you don't like him, of course) 

I just don't see the Saints thinking like this, but I totally see the logic. It's all been about short-term gains for them, they're far more likely to move up for a non-QB. Even with Herbert on the board I think. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I just don't see the Saints thinking like this, but I totally see the logic. It's all been about short-term gains for them, they're far more likely to move up for a non-QB. Even with Herbert on the board I think. 

You say that but they did want to draft Patrick Mahomes, he just didn’t fall to them. If they like Herbert or Love enough they’ll pull the trigger, and since this is Brees last year they might be willing to trade a future first.

I wouldn’t rule out them grabbing an impact player at 23 and then packaging their third round pick and a 2021 first to get a late first/early second should Love still be on the board.