Should we keep Derek Carr (Voter Names Public)

Jerry

Should we keep Derek Carr (Voter Names Public)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Derek Carr

I don’t think he’s an elite QB and probably never will be. However, I think we can win with him if we upgrade a few spots. Save me the W/L records because most of our teams have been really bad. If we can find an upgrade then sure let’s do it. I don’t think he’s as bad as some of the extremists make him out to be. For the sake of this poll, I voted yes because I don’t think the FA options who will be available are better than Carr (I’m still not buying Brady leaving). Also, unless we trade up for Burrow or Tua, I want nothing to do with the other QBs in round 1. 

Edited by Justwinning
  • Like 3

I'm over this arguement until something happens. Have stayed away from the forum because it's clogging up every thread.

This isn't a Black or White, Yes or No question because there are two many variables.

Carr is a solid QB. Carr is not a playmaker.

Is he the long term solution who will lead the Raiders deep into the playoffs? No.

Is he the short term 'stop gap' who can win some games while Gruden has another QB learn the offense. Yes.

Bottom line.... there is no viable solution for 2020. Any rookie QB will need a year to learn the offense. No vet can come in, learn it and unseat Carr.

So Carr it is for 2020.... which is fine as the Raiders are not going to the playoffs with this roster anyway. 2021 and beyond, they either get better at QB are left a middling team fighting for relevancy in their new market.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm over this arguement until something happens. Have stayed away from the forum because it's clogging up every thread.

This isn't a Black or White, Yes or No question because there are two many variables.

Is he the long term solution who will lead the Raiders deep into the playoffs? No.

Is he the short term 'stop gap' who can win some games while Gruden has another QB learn the offense. Yes.

Bottom line.... there is no viable solution for 2020. Any rookie QB will need a year to learn the offense. No vet can come in, learn it and unseat Carr.

So Carr it is for 2020.... which is fine as the Raiders are not going to the playoffs with this roster anyway. 2021 and beyond, they either get better at QB are left a middling team fighting for relevancy in their new market.

Yup. Pretty much this.  Ted piece is basically where I'm at with it. I dont see how they upgrade. I hate the fact Carr is good enough to keep us middle of the pack but not good enough to win it. He is going to either have to do something bold or try to turn a 2nd or 3rd rd qb into a franchise guy. Getting rid of Carr and tanking a season isnt an option no more. Carr out in his contract this offseason is only reason I'm not 100% sure he will be back next year. But I'm at about 80%. 

Not taking a shot at the poll creator, but in general the whole Carr thing to me is nauseating. “He checks down and threw it away on 4th down!” I know, I know! I can finish your sentences along side you at this point.  
But if you get rid of Carr.... who replaces him? And after the second (2016’s playoff team) promising year in decades... you want to rebuild?  Just as soon as a single ray of light has shined through the past 20 years of absolute darkness, NOW???? You want to rebuild again?  Unless you sign a better veteran QB, getting rid of Carr means rebuilding and I don’t see any better QBs available.  Bridgewater isn’t marginally better btw, he’s definitely in the same tier.  Borrow isn’t an option even if we give up the entire draft class for him.  Tua’s not going to make it to #12 and he’s got injury concerns and overall there’s valid questions about his game, Herbert is prolly not available and he’s certainly got question marks.  Jordan Love??? He’s not the savior,,, just because KC hit on Mahomes doesn’t mean Love is our guy.  He’s not a valid first round prospect IMO.  And even if he was he’s super raw.  You want to crucify Carr for throwing the ball away on 4th down cuz no one was open after 10 seconds? Well get the stakes ready to crucify Love for starring down his first option WR and tossing it into double coverage for an alley-oop style INT to the FS.

Carrs not great we know but he’s actually cheap for a QB and until something better is available then please stop ranting and raving.  Show me a solution to the QB issue and I’m on board but until then it just sounds like b$txhing and moaning.

• Like 4

Another Carr thread. 

Derek Carr is our version of Marvin Lewis without the playoffs aside from the fluke 2016 year. Not good enough, but also average enough to where you might keep him around.

I voted no cause I don’t think Gruden will put his coaching career pretty much in Carr’s small hands. I do think he will go with a rookie QB and a veteran QB. I know what ur gonna say. Gruden has never gone with a rookie QB before and all that. Fact is when Gruden first coached the Raiders and then the Bucs starting a rookie QB wasn’t the norm. Unless you were the first overall pick. Times have changed especially with QB coming out of the college. They’re more than ready to play right away. 

This thread will be full of but what about 2016. The season Carr fans are forever stuck on and still think that’s the QB we got right now. 1 year out of 6 season. 

Marvin Lewis of QBs. 

Commitment to mediocre QB play! Cause man don’t u remember all of the ****ty QBs we had before him. Some of y’all are afraid to move on cause the future is unknown. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Not taking a shot at the poll creator, but in general the whole Carr thing to me is nauseating. “He checks down and threw it away on 4th down!” I know, I know! I can finish your sentences along side you at this point.  
But if you get rid of Carr.... who replaces him? And after the second (2016’s playoff team) promising year in decades... you want to rebuild?  Just as soon as a single ray of light has shined through the past 20 years of absolute darkness, NOW???? You want to rebuild again?  Unless you sign a better veteran QB, getting rid of Carr means rebuilding and I don’t see any better QBs available.  Bridgewater isn’t marginally better btw, he’s definitely in the same tier.  Borrow isn’t an option even if we give up the entire draft class for him.  Tua’s not going to make it to #12 and he’s got injury concerns and overall there’s valid questions about his game, Herbert is prolly not available and he’s certainly got question marks.  Jordan Love??? He’s not the savior,,, just because KC hit on Mahomes doesn’t mean Love is our guy.  He’s not a valid first round prospect IMO.  And even if he was he’s super raw.  You want to crucify Carr for throwing the ball away on 4th down cuz no one was open after 10 seconds? Well get the stakes ready to crucify Love for starring down his first option WR and tossing it into double coverage for an alley-oop style INT to the FS.

Carrs not great we know but he’s actually cheap for a QB and until something better is available then please stop ranting and raving.  Show me a solution to the QB issue and I’m on board but until then it just sounds like b$txhing and moaning.

A young qb doesnt mean a rebuild. 

56 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm only slightly more optimistic than this.  I don't disagree with any of what you said, but for whatever reason I still have a sliver of hope that they can pull it all together with a better WR or two.  Grab a couple of guys this offseason and still no improvement, I'll be right where you are.

If there was a realistic option to replace him right now I'd be all ears and weigh the pros and cons, but I 100% agree that there just isn't an option.

I really wanted to have this answered this past season, but AB blew that outta the water and left us in a similar position this offseason. 

17 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Solid post. People want to replace Carr, but have no plan or solutions. 

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

I don’t think he’s an elite QB and probably never will be. However, I think we can win with him if we upgrade a few spots. Save me the W/L records because most of our teams have been really bad. If we can find an upgrade then sure let’s do it. I don’t think he’s as bad as some of the extremists make him out to be. For the sake of this poll, I voted yes because I don’t think the FA options who will be available are better than Carr (I’m still not buying Brady leaving). Also, unless we trade up for Burrow or Tua, I want nothing to do with the other QBs in round 1. 

Agree with this, build up the team around him then we can always manouvre around next off-season if we need a change. Id be fine if we add a young guy to bring into the QB room but simply drafting a young QB is far from guaranteed to work. 

Keep Carr, if necessary groom a 3rd round rookie QB for example and continue to build. Look at Tannehill as a perfect example of a very average QB with good coaching and nice supporting cast, it's a misnomer that only elite QBs can take teams deep into the playoffs. Carr us easily good enough if the coaching and team around him is good. 

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

Carr is the blandest, most meh QB in the league. Literally the least exciting "decent" QB to watch in the league. Nothing about his skillset or personality inspires any confidence in anybody. Even the fanbase has turned on him, he was getting relentlessly boo'd final games in Oakland. He's like the exact opposite QB you want to open your new location and new stadium with. Just a boring player. 

I remember how he took so much pride in beating 2 win Arizona last year, proclaiming he wants to mess up our draft position. He will always be that guy who's not good enough, but just solid enough to keep us from being in position to truly draft his replacement unless we trade the farm.

We don't have much options. I'd probably trade a 4th for Cam Newton, let him and Carr compete and let Gruden draft his annual project QB in the 3rd. Meh...