HoboRocket

2020 Arizona Cardinals Off-Season

Gilbert re-signed even though his knee is toast.  Sounds like they’re gearing up for Isaiah Simmons or Derrick Brown.  

17 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Gilbert re-signed even though his knee is toast.  Sounds like they’re gearing up for Isaiah Simmons or Derrick Brown.  

I'm thrilled to have Marcus Gilbert back at that 3.5 million price tag. Honestly, that makes someone like Wirfs more appealing, where he's slot in at guard this year and then shift outside next year. Having Wirfs at guard and Lamont Gaillard as the starting center would make this offensive line rock solid while Gilbert is healthy. Gilbert's only played 12 out of the last 48 games, but he's fantastic when he plays. Not a sure thing, but worth it if he can play 8 games this year. 

Isaiah Simmons and Derrick Brown would be nice. Simmons probably wouldn't be in a great spot playing for Vance Joseph, though, and Brown would be good, but we have our starting interior on the D-Line, IMO, in Zach Allen, Corey Peters, and Jordan Phillips. 

I just want us to go BPA, but if it's two players with the same or very similar grades, I want to go OL. And we still should add two WRs this off-season with Byrd gone and Hakeem likely on the way out.

21 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

I'm still pissed you have DeAndre Hopkins AND #8 this off-season. I hope Simmons and brown are both gone by then lol 

Gilbert I think just gives us the flexibility to go BPA. Going into the draft with only Justin Murray at right tackle might cause a reach. Murray and Gilbert gives you more room for BPA. I’d still like Brown most simply because I don’t think that we will get consistent production from Phillips and Allen on the DL, so being able to rotate Brown in would be ideal.

But I’m under the assumption that Simmons and Okudah likely won’t be there at 8. (Although it is starting to look more possible) 

Wirfs gives up inside too easily too often. That is prob his biggest weakness. But w/ Kyler being the QB teams usually contain rush and have the outside guys maintain outside leverage. Which Wirfs is very good at. So having Kyler might help shore up Wirfs biggest weakness. 

But another weakness is he can be bad at picking up twists/stunts. He gets beat on the inside easily and then doesn't get to the wrap pass rusher. So teams could exploit his and one of Kyler's weaknesses (leaving the pocket too early) by doing a stunt. outside rusher gets inside pressure quickly and inside rusher chases down Kyler.