2020 Arizona Cardinals Off-Season

HoboRocket

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 10:54 PM, HoboRocket said:

Larry Fitzgerald truly is the best.

Just saying.

I mean, seriously, people. For Mr. Legend to be doing what he's doing at his age? Incredible. 

And this isn't even covering the fact that Larry Fitzgerald is the best blocking WR in the NFL.

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

The Cardinals are just the West's little brother destined to give us a repeat of the 2019 Cleveland Browns. 

The Seahawks are about 4 years past their prime.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Eh, I'm not even sure football will happen.

I sure hope it does. It'll wreck young teams to have a redshirt year because real-game experience is the most important thing at this level of competition, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

This place is dead dead 

Not anymore! We got like five posts in one day. New record!

• Like 2

Arizona is quickly becoming one of the most overrated teams in the league.  They're going to be better, but I hear people on the radio and television predicting they're going to be a playoff team.  I think it's a little too soon for that.  I still think they're a year or two away, especially in the toughest division in football.  The thing about the NFC West is the Niners are essentially guaranteed a playoff spot since they're the best team in the entire conference.  

On 7/7/2020 at 12:02 PM, showtime said:

Arizona is quickly becoming one of the most overrated teams in the league.  They're going to be better, but I hear people on the radio and television predicting they're going to be a playoff team.  I think it's a little too soon for that.  I still think they're a year or two away, especially in the toughest division in football.  The thing about the NFC West is the Niners are essentially guaranteed a playoff spot since they're the best team in the entire conference.  

I mean, the Cardinals could easily be the Buccaneers from 2015-2020. Lots of hype, nothing to show for it. Not saying that the Bucs were ever picked to win the Super Bowl, but they were the "dark horse playoff team" for a surprising amount of analysts for like five years lol. I think the playoffs are definitely attainable for the Cardinals.

A lot of it just comes down to how much they gel and how the locker room handles all of this change and youth. Chandler Jones, Patrick Peterson, and certainly Larry Fitzgerald are proven leaders, but there are a lot of fairly new faces. Everyone had rave reviews about Kyler's leadership... Can he get everyone ok the same page? Kliff seems to be a great communicator and real players' coach, and this team played with a lot of heart last year. They were within a TD of winning six games in addition to the five they won.

Am I implying that they were really an 11-win team? Not at all! What I'm saying, though, is that these guys were in it until the very end for 11 of their games, and they added a lot of talent this off-season.

The addition of DeAndre Hopkins and returns to health for the offensive skill positions (6 of their top seven receivers missed at least three games last year, and the healthiest of the bunch, Christian Kirk, dealt with lingering injuries pretty much all season; all four RBs on the roster missed significant time; all three TEs missed significant time) changes the complexion of Kyler's. Having one of the best tackles in the league, Marcus Gilbert, healthy and available will be huge. I mean, even Gilbert's back-up missed time with injury. It was Bengals, Ravens, and Chargers-level health last year. So a healthy offense with the addition of arguably the best WR in the league will be huge.

On defense, the team will be almost completely different. Patrick Peterson missed almost half of the season, and when he did return, it took him a few weeks to get back into game shape and play well again. The team will now have Robert Alford, who was a solid corner for the Falcons. Byron Murphy started all 16 games as a rookie, and while his play was uneven and even embarrassing at times, he also shut down Kenny Golladay, DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, and DJ Moore (except for one play) as a rookie, a day 2 draft pick, thrust into action as the team's #1 corner. Budda Baker is really good. Jalen Thompson played fantastic football as a rookie supplemental draft pick and his ceiling is super high. So the secondary should be better than last year simply because the young guys have the right trajectory, and the old guys will be returning to health.

As far as off-ball LBs go, DeVondre Campbell is a talented player coming from a bad defense. He was a splash play guy, and is above average in pretty much every regard. Isaiah Simmons was the talk of the draft class and is a versatile player that should completely erase RBs and TEs from the passing game, as well as improving the team's range on defense from day 1.

For the pass rush, Chandler Jones is a talented as ever, while the team added a reliable second rusher in Devon Kennard. Jordan Phillips, meanwhile, is coming off a 9.5-sack campaign and should be a really good presence on the interior.

On the defensive line, Zach Allen missed basically 13 games as a rookie, going down after three snaps in week 4, but this is also a guy that had over 100 tackles as a five-tech at Boston College. He was considered a first-round prospect by a number of analysts, and he showed the ability to get after the QB in his 1 start against the Lions, where he had 3 QB hits and 3 tackles. Basically, though, we haven't even really seen this guy play, and he could develop into a scary presence on the DL. We have a couple other big guys, with the ever-dependable Corey Peters stuffing the run and the additions of third-round rookies Leki Fotu and Rashard Lawrence, both of whom profile as run-stopping interior presences. 

This defense has gained major additions that immediately help against both the pass and the run, and the offense is returning to health, with the addition of one of the league's best weapons to help out the team's record-setting Offensive Rookie of the Year QB, and with how competitive they were last year, it's not a stretch at all to say that they could win 10 games or so this year and land a wildcard spot.

• Like 1

I just can't comprehend how this guy fell all the way to the Cardinals' 7th-round pick. I just can't. He's so quick. His footwork is amazing. He's such a passionate runner. His 3rd-down ability is really well-developed for the NFL. He, Lamichael Perine and Zach Moss were easily the three best backs in Pass Pro in the Draft, and really head and shoulders above the rest of the class.

He's a very self-aware player and articulate. Very professional. I think he'll be a huge addition to the locker room. It's reassuring that he's already developed a relationship with several players on the team, like Chase Edmonds and Christian Kirk. 

I'm just psyched to have Eno.

Edited by HoboRocket