6 Round Draft

Karnage84

**AVAILABLE PLAYERS SELECTED USING MATT MILLER OF B/R BOARD ON FANSPEAK**

Miami trades up to select Tua at #3. Lions receive

#5, #26, #39, 2021 2nd + Josh Rosen*

Rd 1 #5 - Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State - Slays needs the Robin to his Batman. Oruwariye shows some promise but he's a 5th rd pick. This gives us some security if Slay does decide he wants to be moved or if the Lions decide to trade him this year or next

#26 - Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma - The LB position was a complete mess this year. Tavai had some flashes but he's going to need help. Not sure what the Lions plan on doing with Jarrad Davis but they're going to need to replace Christian Jones sooner rather than later anyway. Murray is a sideline to sideline guy. 

Rd 2 #35 - Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama - McKinney can fill a number of different spots and is a Minkah Fitzpatrick type of player. He's a chess piece that Patricia and the defense can utilize for mismatches

#39 - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma - We have no idea what will happen on the defensive line. I don't see a wholesale change up on the defensive line but I'm not convinced Snacks is going to be back. Gallimore has some work to do but he has really good size and is very athletic. Could develop some pass rushing moves but has the body of a run stuffer

Rd 3 #67 - Curtis Weaver, EDGE, Boise State - Has good size to line up in Kennard's Jack LB spot or as an End. Can be moved around to different spots along the DL, very versatile. 

Rd 4 #106 - Nick Coe, EDGE, Auburn - Edge is a really odd designation as a variety of body types can fit into the mix here. Coe is 6'5 and 291 lbs. He can play inside and outside along the defensive line and has been asked to stand up on occasion. I really like Hand as a player but we don't know if we are going to get the same guy back next year. Coe seems to be a guy that could replace him if need be or just be another puzzle piece to move around 

Rd 5 # 149 - Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota - This is a super deep WR draft and there will be some good players drop while teams have to fill other needs. Johnson has some nice size and could be a nice compliment to Golladay and an eventual replacement to Marvin Jones.

#171 - Shane Lemieux, OG, Oregon - A run blocking OG with great size. Probably a bit of a developmental guy but could be a factor in a power-run game. 

Rd 6 #182 - James Morgan, Florida International - Green Bay native (wears no. 12 because of Captain Discount Double Check). Good size and arm strength. Stafford is only 31 and played incredible last year. The Lions need to go all out and build around Stafford. We should be adding guys to develop into the mix but not investing high picks into a back up. If the rest of these guys fall apart, Patricia and Quinn are going to be out and the new regime will be picking their own QB anyway. 

*Rosen - I threw him into the mix because a) we do need a viable back up; b) he probably will want out of Miami as much as they don't want to play him; c) I figure his value must be around a 5th at this point. This is more of a conversation piece and to see what you guys think if he is a part of the equation.

Edited by Karnage84
Finished Draft
  • Like 3

I'll probably update this and add some extra rounds. I know the "where's the edge rusher/we can't rush the passer" comments will be coming soon enough. If they keep wanting to rush 3 guys, the coverage units need to be improved upon, which is where Okudah, Murray and McKinney come into play. Gallimore can fill Snacks' role as a run stuffer and probably offer up some improved play over last year. Austin Bryant was drafted last year as a potential replacement for Kennard. Hand should be back and be healthy. 

I used Matt Millers board in FanSpeak and there's a bunch of Edge guys in the 4th round. Speaking of, I need to actually include my 3rd round pick here. 

7 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

Could totally get behind this. This would give our D the boost in the arm it needs. I also like how you departed from your Young or bust position.. Not that you have changed your stance, but at least looking outside of that prizm.

I'm not Young or Bust. I just wouldn't hate it if the Lions did make that trade because of the caliber of player that he is. I don't see it happening and I don't see Washington wanting to trade away their chances for a guy like that. 

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not Young or Bust. I just wouldn't hate it if the Lions did make that trade because of the caliber of player that he is. I don't see it happening and I don't see Washington wanting to trade away their chances for a guy like that. 

Incorrectly worded on my part.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Miami trades up to select Tua at #3. Lions receive

#5, #26, #39, 2021 2nd

Rd 1 #5 - Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State - Slays needs the Robin to his Batman. Oruwariye shows some promise but he's a 5th rd pick. This gives us some security if Slay does decide he wants to be moved or if the Lions decide to trade him this year or next

#26 - Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma - The LB position was a complete mess this year. Tavai had some flashes but he's going to need help. Not sure what the Lions plan on doing with Jarrad Davis but they're going to need to replace Christian Jones sooner rather than later anyway. Murray is a sideline to sideline guy. 

Rd 2 #35 - Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama - McKinney can fill a number of different spots and is a Minkah Fitzpatrick type of player. He's a chess piece that Patricia and the defense can utilize for mismatches

#39 - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma - We have no idea what will happen on the defensive line. I don't see a wholesale change up on the defensive line but I'm not convinced Snacks is going to be back. Gallimore has some work to do but he has really good size and is very athletic. Could develop some pass rushing moves but has the body of a run stuffer

Rd 3 #67 - Curtis Weaver, EDGE, Boise State - Has good size to line up in Kennard's Jack LB spot or as an End. Can be moved around to different spots along the DL, very versatile. 

A loose depth chart. There's still a bunch of guys to slot in as back ups, etc. 

FS - Walker, McKinney

SS - Harris, Wilson

CB - Slay, Oruwariye

CB - Okudah

SB - Coleman, McKinney

Jack - Kennard, Weaver, Bryant

MLB - Tavai, Davis

WLB - Murray, Jones

DE - Flowers

NT - Gallimore

DE - Hand

We'd walk in with 3 starters (Okudah, Murray, Gallimore) and likely a fourth guy in McKinney heavily into the mix. While I really appreciate what Kennard has done for the team, he isn't cheap and this would leave us with two options to replace him. 

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

For me, murray really makes this draft. I would prefer to have Brown, if available at 5, but if we went all D I'd be ecstatic.

It's either Okudah or Brown at 5 for me. The main question that I had was - how big is the discrepancy between the next CB that would be available vs the DL that would be available in that spot? Okudah seems to be on a different tier right now where there's a bunch of good DLinemen that would be there in rd 2 and beyond. This is especially the case if I didn't want to miss out on adding Murray into the mix. My understanding is that he's in the 240 range but I've also seen him listed at 235. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Only issue I see is I'm not really sure why Miami would look to trade up to 3, the Giants definitely aren't taking a QB.

There is Los Angeles and Carolina that could be willing to make a deal if they don't. The Lions are going to take best offer in this scenario. This guarantees that Miami gets their franchise guy while still retaining #18 and their 2nd Rounder from New Orleans. I believe they also have a couple 2nd rounders in 2021 with all of the trades they've made. 

I really like the players you drafted, but that trade seems pretty unrealistic. I can't see Miami giving up all that to move up two spots.

The Lions are already up 700 points in terms of draft pick value even without the 2021 2nd and Rosen.

Great draft overall though.

• Like 1