Which Saints QB?

sammymvpknight

Which would you rather have if you are the Saints?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have if you are the Saints?

• Drew Brees for 2020-2021, $26 million/season
    • Teddy Bridgewater for 2020-2023, $20 million/season
    • Taysom Hill for 2020-2023, $12 million/season

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

You know what you’re getting with Brees.. a great regular season QB and a playoff choker. Rather roll the dice with Teddy.. I’m not a believer in the gimmick QB, he’ll have his limitations.. I honestly think the could have won the SB with Teddy.. That offense was rolling.. 

He hasn’t been a playoff choker.  He was bad against the Vikings, bad against the Rams late once both teams started getting a lot of pressure.  Before that he’s generally been anywhere from good to elite.  

In 2017 he carried the team against the Panthers and led what should have been comeback win against the Vikings if not for a miracle play at the last second.

He went 7 for 7 with a go ahead TD in the fourth quarter of the super bowl in what was the most important drive in Saints history.  Also 8 TDs 0 INTs in that postseason.

You can say that at this age, he’s going to continue to struggle against the elite defenses in the playoffs and that may be true.  But the playoff choker label shouldn’t apply.

Id like to see Teddy get a shot, he’s earned it.  But the offense wasn’t exactly rolling during his stretch.

Brees, no question.   Yeah, he didn’t have a very good playoff game, but I don’t even think there is a debate here.. He’s still one of the best.

I still for the life of me can’t figure out what people see in Bridgewater..  Fringe starter at best.

And Hill should be used just the way they have been.  As a gadget player.  honestly i’d Like to see him used more at WR.

4 minutes ago, Classic said:

I say Bridgewater not because he is a better option than Brees right now but for the foreseeable future. Bridgewater with a off-season worth of reps with the 1s can be great.

I did not like what I saw with him with Brees out.  Bridgewater turned an Audi into a Ford Taurus.

17 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

This is yet another Saints topic, and for that I apologize. But it's a decision that will likely have league wide ramifications, so in a way I do think that it is should be a general discussion and not to mention that I'm interested in non-Saints fans opinion on the matter.

There is a poll attached.

Drew Brees

PROs:
- A New Orleans legend. He is the heart and soul of the Saints team, was a source a inspiration after Katrina, and was largely responsible for the Saints only Super Bowl and success over the past decade
- Very accurate, has set records for completion percentage and continues to be highly efficient
- Unbelievable rapport with Michael Thomas, who is among the most important offensive weapons in the NFL
- In regards to preparation, very few if any current in the NFL can match Drew Brees. His work ethic is contagious. Locker room leader.

CONs:
- Will be 41 years old next season
- Has also shown drop off in play, including: reduced ability to connect on long passes, increased difficulty with pocket mobility, and will not scramble
- Has an injury history including: right labral repair (2005) and right thumb UCL repair (2019)

Teddy Bridgewater

PROs:
- Did a good job in relief of Drew Brees this season, going 5-0
- Very accurate and efficient with his passes, probably the least turnover prone
- Good rapport with Michael Thomas
- Very good locker room guy, though without the credibility of Drew Brees
- Youngest of the three QBs, will be 28 years old next year

CONs:
- Upside may be limited, as he has not demonstrated to be much of an over-the-top passer
- Though he may be more mobile than Brees, he does have limited mobility
- Has an injury history including: wrist fracture (2012), concussion (2015), Knee dislocation, complete ACL tear, and other structure knee damage (2016)

Taysom Hill

PROs:
- One of the great football players in NFL, who's versatility may be unmatched in modern football
- Electric runner who can outrun defenders to the edge and also bulldoze them to get additional yardage
- Strongest arm of the three QBs
- Good locker room guy

CONs:
- Has limited proven ability as a drop back QB, and hasn't been asked to go through multiple reads very often
- Has not had to demonstrate touch passes
- Will be 31 years old next season
- Injury history in college that includes: LCL tear (2012), broken leg (2014), Lisfranc injury (2015), elbow injury (2016)

Taysom Hill will be 31 years old next season??   O.o    I forgot he did some missionary work for a couple of years after he graduated from BYU.  We signed him as an UDFA but waived him in hopes we could sneak him onto our PS in 2017.  Unfortunately for us the Saints snapped him up the following day.  It must be nice to have such a crowded QB room with this kind of talent...

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Taysom Hill will be 31 years old next season??   O.o    I forgot he did some missionary work for a couple of years after he graduated from BYU.  We signed him as an UDFA but waived him in hopes we could sneak him onto our PS in 2017.  Unfortunately for us the Saints snapped him up the following day.  It must be nice to have such a crowded QB room with this kind of talent...

He encountered some pretty bad luck with injuries in college that also added to the delays. It’s unfortunate because if he was 27 years old right now instead on 30, I think that the decision may change 

12 hours ago, frenchie said:

Brees, no question.   Yeah, he didn’t have a very good playoff game, but I don’t even think there is a debate here.. He’s still one of the best.

I still for the life of me can’t figure out what people see in Bridgewater..  Fringe starter at best.

And Hill should be used just the way they have been.  As a gadget player.  honestly i’d Like to see him used more at WR.

I think Bridgewater is better than a number of current starters.  He protects the ball very well, has shown ability to make great throws, but I still want to see how he handles a shootout.  He never had to do much during his stretch because the defense was holding teams to single digit points before garbage tjme.