Who is the best route runner of all time?

rocky_rams

Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown. Jerry Rice ran like a 4.7 forty-yard dash. Antonio Brown was never a speed demon and he sure as heck wasn't able to out-body people. He was just an insanely hard worker and perfectionist who ran the best routes that I've seen.

Both of those guys were only able to be the best WRs of their era due to route-running. Nothing else.

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown. Jerry Rice ran like a 4.7 forty-yard dash. Antonio Brown was never a speed demon and he sure as heck wasn't able to out-body people. He was just an insanely hard worker and perfectionist who ran the best routes that I've seen.

Both of those guys were only able to be the best WRs of their era due to route-running. Nothing else.

Also Yards After Catch. Rice/Brown are masters at that. 

I’ve always thought Rice/Brown were almost carbon copies. Browns smaller and a little more twitchy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I think people just see NFL Films highlights of Moss burning some defensive back for a long touchdown and misremember that as the only thing he did well, when in reality it was one of a few things. Moss wasn't a one trick pony with speed like Ashley Lelie. Moss got open on a variety of routes consistently. If folks go back and watch the actual full  broadcast Vikings games (there are some on YouTube), they'd see this. 

Most of Randy Moss's best catches were made while he was being covered.  

You've been looking the broadcast footage for somebody else.  Not Randy.  

He never had to work nearly as hard as a lot of the other guys who played wideout, because he had the natural vertical and hands to grab the football over his defenders.  

He was making more of those kinds of catches than ever burning out his matchup down the stretch.  

Route runners have to put the work in to shake off the defenders due to lacking the tangibles.  

Randy Moss never had to worry about that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RamblinMan99 said:

He never had to work nearly as hard as a lot of the other guys who played wideout, because he had the natural vertical and hands to grab the football over his defenders.  

He was making more of those kinds of catches than ever burning out his matchup down the stretch.  

Route runners have to put the work in to shake off the defenders due to lacking the tangibles.  

Agreed. Randy had the best hip movement/twitch out of anyone but that’s not route running. Randy never had the patience to run amazing routes. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Yup, didn't know I was watching Randy on the screen. Or maybe it's option B where you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

There's an entire video series on YouTube debunking everything you just stated (along with other myths about Moss). If you can't figure out Moss was a great route runner with the mountain top of evidence available, you're beyond help. :)

"But oh he sucked/just ran vertical routes". 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

There isn't a clear cut best. Just like there isn't someone with the clear cut best hands ever. Just a ton of guys at the top bracket. Bruce, Rice, Moss, Owens, Alworth, Jimmy Smith, Irvin, and a ton of others. Just the usual top names people hear in terms of just being one of the better receivers in the league.

No, absolutely not. I love Irvin and Owens I have turned my opinion around on and I've lightened up on Moss in the past years. But these guys were not excellent route runners. Many times and I do mean many times they would round off their routes, or quit them altogether if they were not the main target, and the reason why they were so dominant had more to do with their physical presence then anything. 

The other guys I can agree with, Harrison was also an insane route runner, I would also say current WR Cooper on our team runs some of the smoothest and sharpest routes i've ever seen. Even with his disappointing away games I watch him run and think Jesus (when he makes a sudden cut) or better yet two when he abandons the route and runs to the middle or the out to find the open area.

17 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I liked Owens and Moss as route runners. Especially Owens. He got in and out of his breaks very well.

I think people just see NFL Films highlights of Moss burning some defensive back for a long touchdown and misremember that as the only thing he did well, when in reality it was one of a few things. Moss wasn't a one trick pony with speed like Ashley Lelie. Moss got open on a variety of routes consistently. If folks go back and watch the actual full  broadcast Vikings games (there are some on YouTube), they'd see this. 

Owens is top tier. AB, M. Harrison, Ocho, Baldwin was pretty damn good. But if I had to pick one - I'm going Rice.