Who is the best route runner of all time?

rocky_rams

The same names are going to get throw out here over and over, and honestly idk if they're accurate. It just depends on how you define route running.. Because if you're going purely technician and not including the athleticism side of it then we as fans are honestly just throwing darts compiling a list. If you want to include the athleticism aspect and the ability to get in and out of breaks then the guys discounting Moss are most certainly wrong. For instance, in my eyes, Randy is easily a better route runner than a guy like Julian Edelman or Wes Welker.. But a lot of people would say that latter because they're duped by announcers and think "he's not that athletic but he gets a lot of catches, must be a good route runner". 

Anyway, instead of naming best I'll just name one of my favorite route runners of all time, and definitely one of the most underrated.. Stevie Johnson. He put a spin on routes that I loved so much. It was so fun to watch him run routes. He embarrassed guys in man coverage.

Sterling Sharpe!!

“The guy that should be in the Hall of Fame, who is one of the most physical, one of the best route runners, one of the best receiving guys that I’ve ever played against was Sterling Sharpe,” Deion Sanders said. Let me tell you something, man, you went up there to bump him, he was going to take your facemask off and your shoulder pads off. And if you backed off and he caught the ball, how you going to make the tackle?”

Edited by Ripline
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 10:56 PM, Ripline said:

Sterling Sharpe!!

“The guy that should be in the Hall of Fame, who is one of the most physical, one of the best route runners, one of the best receiving guys that I’ve ever played against was Sterling Sharpe,” Deion Sanders said. Let me tell you something, man, you went up there to bump him, he was going to take your facemask off and your shoulder pads off. And if you backed off and he caught the ball, how you going to make the tackle?”

He is one of the most underrated wide receivers overall because of his shortened career.  I think his brother Shannon, said it best at his Hall of Fame speech when he said "Even though I'm a Hall of Famer, I was not the best receiver in the family."  Although I have a ton of respect for Shannon's abilities on the field, I would agree with that statement.  Sterling was fantastic!  Had he stayed healthy, he and Brett Favre would have broken more than a few records. 

• Like 2