Who is the best route runner of all time?

rocky_rams

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I came in here thinking guys like Welker and Edleman.  The type of guys who have helped make Brady's GOAT career by finding that blend of rote precision and natural chemistry with a QB to just work away on routes where you can't just rely on size, speed, or strength to create catches.  Just putting themselves in the right spots at the right times with just enough separation to fit it in there.

Lots of guys have used physical advantage to dominate routes.  Lots of guys can run a route like it's painted on the turf for them.  The thing that's always fascinated me about the Welker and Edelman guys...is that they're generally working in such confined areas, and with the precision to end up where the ball is going at the end.  But they find ways to vary and change up their approach like artists at times, to get there...just at the right moment.  The timing and artistry of that is what i think of when it comes to "best route runner".  Not guys who could physically overpower in the middle of a route, or run a couple routes exceptionally well due to body positioning or straight up racecar pace.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, BayRaider said:

Also Yards After Catch. Rice/Brown are masters at that. 

I’ve always thought Rice/Brown were almost carbon copies. Browns smaller and a little more twitchy. 

They also both played for the Raiders briefly. 

(I’ll see myself out) 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 3:18 AM, BayRaider said:

Moss ran two deep routes better than any human alive but his short/medium route running is on par with most Top WRs. It’s nothing goat status or even close to it. 

1. Rice, by far.

2. Antonio Brown

3. Chad Johnson

4. Michael Irvin

5. Marvin Harrison

HM: Cris Carter

This is a really good list. 

My List:

1. Rice

2. Welker

3. A. Brown

4. Irvin

5. Largent

HM Carter and those in post I quoted but didn't copy

On 1/22/2020 at 9:28 AM, Danger said:

You forgot Amari Cooper and Calvin Ridley9_9

Actually i wouldn't be against adding Ridley in a few more years as i honestly think he is the best route runner on our team.  It was his bread and butter coming out of college and has translated extremely well in the pro's Julio's no slouch at route running either but i think Ridleys cuts and seperation are better of the 2. 

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 9:30 AM, Uncle Buck said:

When it comes to route running, one name that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is Stefon Diggs.  I think he is probably the best route runner the Vikings have ever had.  Adam Thielen is pretty good in that area too, but Diggs is exceptional. 

No way. He runs routes to Buffalo and doesn't come back.

• Like 1

Top of my head...all time.  Rice #1.  Without a doubt.  Marvin Harrison is up there.  Sharpe.  Thinking you gotta include Antonio Brown.

Today's guys?  Keenan Allen for sure.  Edelman.  Michael Thomas.  Bit of a homer here, but Davante Adams is pretty sick.

Fun thread.