Who is the best route runner of all time?

rocky_rams

On 3/19/2020 at 11:17 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Wow. I have seen Keenan Allen's name being mentioned twice in this thread as the best route-runner of all time. 

The wow is that it was only mentioned twice. Allen is as nasty as they come running routes. Tell me another wr who was called for OPI without even making contact with the defender because he ran such a crisp route.

17 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

The wow is that it was only mentioned twice. Allen is as nasty as they come running routes. Tell me another wr who was called for OPI without even making contact with the defender because he ran such a crisp route.

Twice too many. We're talking about best of all-time here. There is no way Keenan Allen belongs in this discussion when you have guys like Rice, Fitz, Cris Carter, Hines Ward, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Harrison....just to name a few.

Career >>>one play. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Twice too many. We're talking about best of all-time here. There is no way Keenan Allen belongs in this discussion when you have guys like Rice, Fitz, Cris Carter, Hines Ward, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Harrison....just to name a few.

Career >>>one play. 

Ill give you Rice and Harrison. The others? No way. Allen runs the crispest routes out there. Really only guy ive seen run as crisp of routes is Marvin Harrison. Allens sells his cuts 2nd to none. Allen has clumsy feet after the catch (falls alot after catching the ball preventing big yac consistently) but route running. Stack Allen up vs any to ever do it. Just go to Youtube and type Keenan Allen and there is plenty of videos just breaking down his route running... it's no doubt all time.

Its amazing to me that every defense in the NFL knows Michael Thomas is going to get 10+ targets per game and still cant stop him. Especially considering the Saints dont have another top option WR to take some of the attention off him. Hes just always open and catches everything.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 4:04 AM, rocky_rams said:

Name some of the best, if not, the best route runner of all time 

That I saw my top ten ( I started watching the NFL in 1992-Current) (disclaimer not all are hall of famers )

Past players

1. Jerry Rice

2. Issac Bruce

3. Cris Carter 

4. Joey Galloway (his acceleration route running was beast mode)

5. Wayne Chebret

6. Marvin Harrison

7. Mushin Muhammad (great route running after the bum and run)

8. Wes Welker

9. Tim Brown

10. Jimmy Smith

Current players

1. Antonio Brown

2. Ty Hilton

3. Keenan Allen

4. Larry Fitzgerald

5. Julio Jones

6. Michael Thomas

7. Mike Evans

8. Julian Edleman