Mock no trades January 2020 with explanations

ragingraider

1. QB Joe Burrow- Bengals

DUH!

2. DE Chase Young-Redskins

DUH!

3. S/OLB Isaiah Simmons-Lions

Everyone wants this guy. He is a freak. Everyone has them taking Okudah or Brown, but Simmons is the most dynamic defensive player in the draft. Every team's fans, with the exception of the Redskins and Bengals, are hoping to get him. Matt Patricia knows what to do with this pick. 

4. OT Andrew Thomas-Giants

Desperately need an OT. It is enticing to take Okudah, but they need to protect the QB and open holes for Barkley. This may not be the OT they select, but it will be an OT.

5. QB Tua Tagovailoa-Dolphins

DUH!

6. QB Justin Herbert-Chargers

They have to get a QB. Herbert may not be in the class of Tua or Burrow, but he is got all the attributes. Physically, he is better than either Tua or Burrow in term of size and arm strength.

7. DT Derrick Brown-Panthers

Might go Okudah here, but Brown is a wrecking machine. The Panthers probably want to trade down, but I don't see a partner given who has already been selected.

8. OT Tristan Wirfs-Cardinals

Perfect fit for need. Dominant RT for a left handed QB. They need a WR, but a blindside protector for your franchise QB is the right pick. WR is deep they have to assume they can address it in the second round.

9. CB Jeff Okudah-Jaguars

Jaguars have to be smiling that Okudah falls to them here. They could go a number of ways, but Okudah makes the Ramsey trade a total win for them.

10. OT Jedrick Wills-Browns

Browns have to improve the line so they can get the ball to all the playmakers. 

11. WR Jerry Jeudy-Jets

Jets could go OT here, but Jeudy is too tempting. The big three OT's are off the board. If they have another rated really high the y may still go OT. They need to upgrade the line, but they need a WR1. Jeudy is a sure thing.

12. WR Ceedee Lamb-Raiders

Tough spot for my team. I don't think any of our first choices have fallen to us. I hope we would trade down here and pick up a second rounder, but again I am not sure who are partner would be. We definitely need a WR1. We might go with a different receiver here, but Lamb is the highest on the board presently. The 40 times might change that though.

13. DE AJ Espensa-Colts

I could see this guy going top ten. He is a beast. A great pick in IMO.

14. CB Kristian Fulton-Buccaneers

Bucs need a corner. I don't think they go QB here. They could go RB, but I think they could get a good one in the next round.

15. DT Javon Kinlaw-Broncos

Hard pick for me. Broncos can go a lot of ways as well. OT is a possibility. I am sure Ruggs is appealing. Ultimately, they can get a WR to pair with Sutton in round two. Kinlaw is a beast who could go top ten. Chubb, Kinlaw, Miller is scary.

16. OLB/DE K'Lavon Chaisson-Falcons

Falcons need an edge rusher. Chaisson is probably the guy they are hoping to get.

17. S Grant Delpit-Cowboys

Cowboys are in a weird spot. So much depends on what they do with some of there free agents. Delpit is a pure FS and will definitely help them on the back end. They could also go CB here.

18. OT Mekhi Beckton-Dolphins

Need to protect the bionic hip. Beckton is climbing up the boards as we speak.

19. S Xavier McKinney-Raiders

My team once again is not loving the options right here. Kenneth Murray isn't a great pick at this spot. We drafted a receiver already and we need a ton of help on the defensive side of the ball. We could go pure CB, but none of them excite me here. Diggs is a little too raw to take this high. CJ Henderson is really good, but hates tackling. Hall is coming off injury and isn't a man cover guy anyway. There are some other good prospects at CB, but McKinney is the best DB available.

20.  WR Henry Ruggs -Jaguars

The Jags get a weapon here. I would imagine they are happy.

21. WR Tee Higgins-Eagles

Eagles need a receiver big time. Higgins is a big target who excels in the red zone.

22. WR Lavinska Shenault-Bills

This seems a good fit. RB is a need, but that can be addressed later. Shenualt is a guy who can be used in a variety of ways.

23. WR Justin Jefferson-Patriots

Patriots need oline help. They also need a QB to develop and a WR or TE. I went with a productive receiver who looks ready to contribute immediately. They will need to address the oline though.

24. WR Jalen Reagor-Saints

I know its a lot of WR in a row, but it makes sense for these teams. Reagor is a nice fit. Deep threat. Tyreek hill type to pair with Thomas.

25. CB Trevon Diggs-Vikings

The Vikings have some guys leaving in FA. Diggs is the top CB on the board. Wouldn't it be cool for the brothers to play together?

26. RB D'Andre Swift-Dolphins

QB, OT, now top RB in the draft, Check, check, check.

27. DE Yetur Gross-Matos-Seahawks

Seahawks need more pass rush. They could go RB or CB, but I think Matos is great value here.

28. DE Curtis Weaver-Ravens

The Ravens also need an edge player. Weaver is a very good player and seems like a Ravens style pass rusher off the edge.

29. CB CJ Henderson-Titans

The Titans could go oline, but CJ Henderson can be a shut down cover corner. He is kind of a steal here. Probably goes higher. Definitely hates tackling though.

30. WR KJ Hamlin-Packers

This is a great fit. Hamlin is a great compliment to Devonte and gives Rodgers another weapon which the Packers need.

31. LB Kenneth Murray-Chiefs

The Chiefs end up taking a the top LB after Simmons in the draft. Murray has the tools, and teams may end up being sorry they didn't draft him. Its a great pick for the chiefs in this spot I think.

32. CB Jeff Gladney-49ers

The Niners look pretty good, but CB seems the position that they could improve and add depth. I really like Gladney. They could go OLine as well.

If there is someone you would prefer for your team based on whether or not they are available, let me know. I took the best player available IMO, taking into consideration the needs of the teams. If you would prefer a diffent guy please let me know why. Thanks.

Obviously, I'm a Raider fan, but I didn't give myself Jeudy and Simmons. I tried to be realistic.

Edited by ragingraider
  • Like 1

I personally wanted Espensa for the Falcons, but I'd be satisfied with this pick too. Dan Quinn's defensive philosophy just seems to click more consistently when there's a good pass rush. When the Falcons don't have a pass rush, the entire defense collapses. So having a deeper pass rush rotation will be nice.

23 hours ago, ragingraider said:

23. WR Justin Jefferson-Patriots

Patriots need oline help. They also need a QB to develop and a WR or TE. I went with a productive receiver who looks ready to contribute immediately. They will need to address the oline though.

Good player, however its a waste to pick a WR in the 1st round if you can't pass block. Pats OL is terrible. Also you can get a WR later in this draft. Cannon old, Thuney gone, Andrews will never play again. He's hoping but way to dangerous to risk your life. We have only 2 Ol worth a damn and one might be out of position and one (maybe injury) play has dropped.  IMO Skill players are useless if you don't have a good OL.  Perfect example Browns.

11 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Good player, however its a waste to pick a WR in the 1st round if you can't pass block. Pats OL is terrible. Also you can get a WR later in this draft. Cannon old, Thuney gone, Andrews will never play again. He's hoping but way to dangerous to risk your life. We have only 2 Ol worth a damn and one might be out of position and one (maybe injury) play has dropped.  IMO Skill players are useless if you don't have a good OL.  Perfect example Browns.

Just now, ragingraider said:

Totally agree. I couldn't find a guy that seemed an appropriate pick given who was off the board. Who would you select in that spot?

1 hour ago, ragingraider said:

Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin ------ If I'm the Pats I am running to the draft table. Favorite player in draft. The Q Nelson of centers.

You have no trades but if you did I would trade out of the 1st. This years draft is loaded with Pats needs in the 2nd RD. OL and WR