New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

It is just unbelievable.. That anyone is making the argument that Carr is a better option than Tom friggin' Brady. !!!!.....How dare you sir! Are you seriously comparing these two?

You are talking about the present superbowl champion!! He has been in the last three superbowls and won two of them!! He has won 3 of the last five superbowls!!! I could keep going....I know I know ...Carr had a really nice season just a few years back in 2016. You know the year between  two of Tom Brady's superbowl victories (2015 and 2017). Brady only made it to the AFC Championship game that year. A small feat he has only accomplished 11 times including the last eight straight years.

Comparing Carr to Brady is disrespectful to the football gods. 

Stick to comparing Carr to Mariota. Brady has earned better. Honestly, Carr can't stand the comparison. It's like saying a lump of coal is the same as a diamond.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

First, not every QB looks the same against sub-par competition. Arm strength and accuracy is not something you can pretend to have against a bad defense. 

Second, let's not pretend that Carr doesn't have other games against superior defenses where he played very well. Latching onto the Lions game is the epitome of a bad faith argument. I brought it up because it was the game I watched today and it was fresh on my mind. Also, of the many, many, many paragraphs I've written on Carr, somehow the Lions game is my main supporting example of why he's good? Pardon.

And lastly, Dak is also a good quarterback who should receive franchise money.

I’m going over his career and don’t see a single great performance against a Top 10 Defense. Bunch of terrible performances and some average ones. A good game manager performance against the Bears. 

Carr is also 0-9 vs KC on Sundays with a Low 70’s QB Rating when Reid has a week to prepare. Which has been mostly good defenses except the past two years. Even past two years he looked bad though. No other QB has this rating and record vs one team. Not even close. Even Tannehil had like a 4-6 record vs the Pats with a Low 90’s rating. 

His senior year at Fresno State was foreshadowing. He faced High School Defenses all year in that conference. Against USC he got smacked in the mouth. Had happy feet/felt pressure too soon constantly. Was making TERRIBLE throws. Looked absolutely lost. Was slow at coverages, etc. USC broke him. 

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Read my post in the Brady thread. Edelmen was bracketed all year long and injured plenty. Philip Dorset is terrible and Harry struggled massively to get separation. They also have absolutely no TEs to speak of. OL is middle of the pack at best. While Raiders was Top 5. Tyrell and Renfrow are easily both better than Harry, Sanu, and Dorsett. Not sure what you people see in Sanu, he has struggled to get separation for like four seasons now. Gotta stop looking at past reputations. 

Brady is a massive upgrade over Carr. I’d still rank Brady as a Top 6 QB. He hasn’t lost any arm velocity at all and is an absolute general on the field and fearless. Much smarter than Carr as well at reading coverages. Also way faster at progressions than Carr. 

I did read your post, just because you keep repeating something doesn't make it true!

Whilst I agree Brady is still a good QB and particularly as a field general he has definitely lost some zip and conversely he was less accurate in short throws this year, probably timing was off too with his receivers. His weapons could have been better for sure but to say they were #32 is just wrong to try and make a point. They also had the top defence and a great ST which goes unnoticed but can make a huge difference. You're trying to make it seem like Brady single handidly dragged them to the playoffs, the Pats were still a very good team.

I find the Brady to Raiders thoughts very interesting though and a little uncomfortable 😁😁😁 

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Would Carr look like this with K.Shannahan?

Would he look like a franchise guy with A.Reid?

Would Mahomes look great under J.Gruden?

No he would be the league MVP

Yes he would be the league MVP

Yes he would be the league MVP

11 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Name one game against a superior defense during which he played well. Over the past six years, when has he done this? 

Played pretty well against the Bears D this year and over the last couple years against very good Broncos Defences. Played well against the Steelers D which is no joke. The Chiefs he's played really poorly against no doubt. 

8 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

broncos week 1? chi week 5?just 2 off my head

Chiefs 2017 was a great game too, that Chiefs D was excellent at creating turnovers, good pass rush and it was just a great game by both teams, one of the most enjoyable ive watched, especially with the fairy tale ending 😀 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Name one game against a superior defense during which he played well. Over the past six years, when has he done this? 

We beat the Chargers, Bears, and Broncos this season.  All top 12 defenses this season.  His accuracy against the Broncos in week 1 was crazy.  He put on a clinic that game.  Two completely healthy teams going into week one and he dominated that game.

40 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We beat the Chargers, Bears, and Broncos this season.  All top 12 defenses this season.  His accuracy against the Broncos in week 1 was crazy.  He put on a clinic that game.  Two completely healthy teams going into week one and he dominated that game.

I was just going to bring up the Broncos game, both in fact. At the end of the season against Denver in the cold he made some plays against that defense. He had pretty good numbers overall against a Vic fangio coached defense. And that was without Jacobs. 

Another thing that keeps coming up when people in the organization are asked about the season is that they mention the fact that they need more help at the WR position. One thing i haven’t heard is anyone mentioning that they want to evaluate the QB position. I think they’re pretty comfortable with the QB position right now. Now if Brady becomes available I could see them going hard at him. But outside of that i don’t think they’ll just change it just because he’s not elite. 

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

Would Carr look like this with K.Shannahan?

Would he look like a franchise guy with A.Reid?

Would Mahomes look great under J.Gruden?

Ha I wondered when Gruden would face some scrutiny.

Whilst Carr is here he will always be the scapegoat. If we had a losing season with a new Qb then the focus turns on Gruden. 

Is there anything from Grudens past that would make us think he would roll with a rookie QB? 

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Why can't he do that every week?