New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They feel they can acquire an elite talent at the position. IMO they can’t. It wouldn’t be a smart move. 

I don't think it has to be an elite talent. Just someone who fits what Gruden wants in a QB. A guy who can extend plays and not leave plays on the field so frequently. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They feel they can acquire an elite talent at the position. IMO they can’t. It wouldn’t be a smart move. 

So if they cant get elite talent or somebody you think is elite. Why would they had moved on. What would be the reasons mayock who you said you trust, would bring in 43 year old Brady or drafting a qb to learn ome of the hardest playbooks in league. Bridgewater or tannihill. What do you think they would think is wrong with Carr to replace with people like that. 

On 2/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

This is why carr would get moved. Too many missed opportunities cause carr gets gun shy or scared. I’ve yet to see a carr guy explain why carr can’t/didn’t/or won’t complete passes like this.

Don’t give me wr personnel Sucked cause didn’t carr beat Pitt last year with Seth, almost retired jordy and ateman? Even went for over 300 yards 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This is why carr would get moved. Too many missed opportunities cause carr gets gun shy or scared. I’ve yet to see a carr guy explain why carr can’t/didn’t/or won’t complete passes like this.

Don’t give me wr personnel Sucked cause didn’t carr beat Pitt last year with Seth, almost retired jordy and ateman? Even went for over 300 yards 

In a few weeks we'll finally get rid of this courage lacking QB

49 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

You know as well as I do that you can freeze frame any QB in any game and show a play where receivers were missed. It’s common, all QBs miss plays every game but because we’re emotionally invested in The Raiders and subsequently their QB we tend to be less pragmatic and more likely to notice these plays, rerun the action and review the mistakes. Does Carr miss receivers? Absolutely. Has he frustratingly left a number of plays on the field? Absolutely. Do I hope that he becomes less conservative? Absolutely. He showed that in the past and hopefully he can get back to what we know he can do.

He has had games, like the one you mentioned and particularly in 2016 where he did carry the team on his back. He probably won’t get back to that form exactly but we know he’s capable of playing at a high level with our team because he has done so. 

I think the logical explanation is that he’s playing in a system where he’s been instructed to be conservative and not take risks, he’s quite conservative by nature to start with, we don’t have receivers that inspire confidence and constantly have high drop rates and Carr himself has lost some confidence after injury and playing in terrible teams recently. It’s a multitude of issues and though it’s easy to pile all the blame on one guy, I don’t think that’s accurate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

You know as well as I do that you can freeze frame any QB in any game and show a play where receivers were missed. It’s common, all QBs miss plays every game but because we’re emotionally invested in The Raiders and subsequently their QB we tend to be less pragmatic and more likely to notice these plays, rerun the action and review the mistakes. Does Carr miss receivers? Absolutely. Has he frustratingly left a number of plays on the field? Absolutely. Do I hope that he becomes less conservative? Absolutely. He showed that in the past and hopefully he can get back to what we know he can do.

He has had games, like the one you mentioned and particularly in 2016 where he did carry the team on his back. He probably won’t get back to that form exactly but we know he’s capable of playing at a high level with our team because he has done so. 

I think the logical explanation is that he’s playing in a system where he’s been instructed to be conservative and not take risks, he’s quite conservative by nature to start with, we don’t have receivers that inspire confidence and constantly have high drop rates and Carr himself has lost some confidence after injury and playing in terrible teams recently. It’s a multitude of issues and though it’s easy to pile all the blame on one guy, I don’t think that’s accurate.

Meh I don’t buy the gruden forces carr to play conservative / make conservative plays. Like the play I screenshot imo gruden gives carr options (deep, middle, short or checkdown). It’s up to carr to execute. Carr makes the final decision. As a coach I know I only can control what happens pre snap. After the snap it’s on the players to execute. 

14 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh I don’t buy the gruden forces carr to play conservative / make conservative plays. Like the play I screenshot imo gruden gives carr options (deep, middle, short or checkdown). It’s up to carr to execute. Carr makes the final decision. As a coach I know I only can control what happens pre snap. After the snap it’s on the players to execute. 

Oh I'm not trying to deflect all the blame onto the coaches, and I totally agree that the player is the one ultimately who makes the decision on who to throw to or not. I think Gruden wants a ball control, old school, taking care of possession offense and Carr is definitely a little too conservative in nature aswell.

Combined with the other factors above that seems to explain the ultra conservative results in my opinion. We all saw Carr taking risks, giving his receivers opportunities to make plays and being much more confident in 2015 and 2016. Injuries, confidence, lack of talent, lack of trust on Carrs part,  scheme and coaching have all been at play to make us seem ultra conservative now.