New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

it’s fair to think Carr won’t yield a 2nd, but Carr’s contract is absolutely a key part of his trade value.  And I didn’t just make this up, many analysts have talked about this.

Carr doesn’t have a large contract.  His cap is right around 20mil/yr.  One of the advantages for trading for Carr is cap hit is significantly below the QB market.  A team can sign Bridgewater for 28-30m or trade for Carr.  That is a huge selling point.  

A player like Slay in Det who would require a brand new contract immediately will have his trade value diminished because They have to lay out a new contract.  That isn’t the case with Carr, he’s locked up for 3 years at sub market rate.  The team trading for him is getting a 30m/yr player for 20m, how in the world is this a disadvantage?

That ABSOLUTELY is how teams work! 

Never said his contract wasn't fair market value but it isn't cheap compared to rookie-scale contracts.   , I said that teams aren't just gonna surrender a 2nd and take on his contract without us either sending some sort of compensation back like a mid-round pick. According to Albright tweet, taking on Carr has a 21.5m cap hit

Edited by bucksavage1

49 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Never said his contract wasn't fair market value but it isn't cheap compared to rookie-scale contracts.   , I said that teams aren't just gonna surrender a 2nd and take on his contract without us either sending some sort of compensation back like a mid-round pick. According to Albright tweet, taking on Carr has a 21.5m cap hit

1) Ethan is wrong his cap hit for teams trading for him is $18.9M Base salary + .1M workout bonus; 21.5m is his cap figure for us which includes 2.5m in SB proration.  We eat the last 2 years of SB proration, 5m to trade him.

2) the “its a sub market Qb deal but not a rookie deal” isn’t a valid argument. 

3) You made it sound like we would have to eat some of his salary to trade him. That just isn’t true.

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'd hate this on principal because that pick never should have been in the deal. Give me that and more.

That would make me want to find RM's house and leave a flaming bag of crap on it.  Give me a #1 next year plus the 2 this year and I will finally be at peace with the Mack and Carr trade.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

1) Ethan is wrong his cap hit for teams trading for him is $18.9M Base salary + .1M workout bonus; 21.5m is his cap figure for us which includes 2.5m in SB proration.  We eat the last 2 years of SB proration, 5m to trade him.

2) the “its a sub market Qb deal but not a rookie deal” isn’t a valid argument. 

3) You made it sound like we would have to eat some of his salary to trade him. That just isn’t true.

I could be wrong but after the trade the remainder of his contract that would need to be paid is $58.5 million over 3 years.  He would have the 17th highest average cap hit (between Cam and Dalton) over the 3 years but in 2021 and 2022 the lowest salary of any starting QB not on a rookie deal.  Even if he is a top 15 QB that contract holds as much value as his play on the field.

25 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

That would make me want to find RM's house and leave a flaming bag of crap on it.  Give me a #1 next year plus the 2 this year and I will finally be at peace with the Mack and Carr trade.

Isn’t rm in Mia?

dont they have a ton of picks and $?

maybe he still has a thing for carr

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Isn’t rm in Mia?

dont they have a ton of picks and $?

maybe he still has a thing for carr

Whatever fair market value for Carr is plus an extra 2nd and I am in.  He can save some extra money by not having to buy another pair of slippers.

2 hours ago, Gannon12 said:

Once again another guy without a blue check mark. 

also it’s weird because Mayock was much more positive than Gruden has been. Said he played well in year 2 under Gruden and he expects him to play better in year 3. Mentioned his chemistry with Waller Renferow, and said that they needed to get him more help on the outsides. 

honestly these guys are just throwing out vague unsubstantiated rumors this time every year. No body knows anything, for all we know Carr could be safe but then while he’s moving in he runs Gruden’s dog over with the moving van. Next thing we know the dude is a back up in Dallas. 

Edited by Chali21
  • Like 2

I think the QB situation is a Very simple for Mayock and Gruden....

they like Carr but realized his limitations

they will always be looking to upgrade from every player

carr’s the guy until a scenario arises where a better player is available.  By that I mean they’re weighing everything that comes from adding a new QB, ie cap situation and draft picks acquired or loss.

basically, gruden and mayock are “players”, only as loyal As the options

• Like 1