New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

10 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

So you like that he plays soft to avoid injury? Maybe he shouldn't be playing this game if that's actually on his mind.

I like that he plays SMART to avoid injury. The best ability is availability. 

This is why is 6 years Watson, Mahomes, Kyler, Allen, and Jackson will be out of the league with injury after injury and, if they are lucky, a ring. While Carr will still be the Raiders QB with ringS in his trophy case. 

Edited by OG_C2X

Carr's failure is not a product of the system. It's a product of his own limited mental capacity. There is such a thing as being a winner. Carr's talent is irrelevant. He isn't a winner. Brady, Brees,  Montana, Plunkett, etc.weren't the most talented QB's physically, but these guys are winners. Carr and his supporters excuse losing which is a cancer that needs to be removed so that the team can thrive. 

JUST WIN BABY!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

I like that he plays SMART to avoid injury. The best ability is availability. 

This is why is 6 years Watson, Mahomes, Kyler, Allen, and Jackson will be out of the league with injury after injury and, if they are lucky, a ring. While Carr will still be the Raiders QB with ringS in his trophy case. 

So are the all the 23 qbs that had more rushing yards than Carr gonna get hurt to. Or just these select few. Mahommes was 13th in rushing yards by the way. And he usually makes it out of bounds on his runs. I guess it is smart to reach ball over goaline instead of getting hit. It works out well. 

6 hours ago, ragingraider said:

Tannehill championship game. Carr can't smell a winning season. Tannehill took a team that wasn't gonna make the playoffs and took them to one game away. Carr needs to ask permission to hold his jock strap.

He posted less than 100 yards in two of three.  Henry carried that team.  

Edited by Totty
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:31 PM, jimkelly02 said:

It’s not far fetched? I don’t even dislike the idea.  

I’m solely uninterested in a 3 year rebuild.

If we could get a game manager:

-for 1 year only

-he’s got to be capable of leading us to a wild card birth

-no significant dead Cap or sunk cost (draft capital) if we get rid of him after 1 year)

- acquire a QB prospect that I like (i have to feel like he’s a better for the team than Carr by his 2nd year)

....then I’ll personally toss Carr out the house for all of us.

Who do you think we should get as a stop gap QB and whose the future QB?

* just so now one can say I went back on my word.... if I don’t like the idea that’s my right.  If you say sign Mariota to a deal that has dead Cap for releasing him following year 1 and draft Jordan Love in round 1 (i don’t think he’s a great prospect and that’s a major reach.... the guy isn’t Mahones2.0!) then I’m entitled to say no I don’t like it.  On the save side if it’s a valid option then I’m not going to make up a reason I don’t like it.  I don’t love Carr that much, I just want to win and win soon.

But your expectations go beyond what Carr has provided. So it sounds like you want an upgrade from Carr, which is not what I was proposing. 

I'm looking at overall record potential; yes, the Mariota/Love scenario you proposed is valid. Mariota has more playoff wins than Carr, could probably perform as "admirably" as him, but for a way cheaper cost at a way shorter commitment. Then we get a second to use as ammo for Love/whatever future qb/whatever player who can contribute to the minimum of a 5-7 win season, which is what we can safely (and probably) expect from Carr?

And as far as three year rebuild, it wouldn't be. You build up the team then plug in your post-Carr QB. Presumably a rookie on a cheap deal ala the Rams/Seahawks, or go all in on a vet on a shorter deal but now with a more filled out team/depth chart.

In short: yes, IT IS far-fetched.

I don’t think that the Raiders are going to sign Brady. Honestly i don’t see him leaving, I think he’s playing hardball to get a big contract. 

On Tannehill: he was a pretty good prospect coming out of college who needed time, obviously we are seeing the results of that. This shouldn’t be a surprise His reckless style does open him up to injuries as evidenced by his history, i think he tore his ACL on season in Miami. 

That leads to my other point on Carr playing safe. I have it on pretty good authority that they coaches don’t want him to expose himself to injury. For example when he ran a TD against the bengals, they where happy he scored but then they told him not to do that again. They know that he has an injury history and they don’t want him to open himself to injury. 

On Carr as a winner, in college he took Fresno from a middling team to a bowl team every year. That team had no talent and he beat up on the MW. Yeah he’s been part of losing teams in the NFL but he’s also just one part of a team. He’s not good enough to overcome the limits of the surrounding talent. Few guys are tbh. I mean Rodgers just lost yesterday because the defense couldn’t stop Mosert. He hasn’t won a Super Bowl in 10 years but no one is saying that he isn’t good or that he should be replaced with a “winner”. This is a team game which is why the Niners won with their 25 million QB not throwing once in the third. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Totty said:

With Mariota at the helm or Car they would have been 6-10. Tannehill played really well. 

Mariota and Carr are similarly terrible. I have seen people suggest we pick him up. He's is one of the few guys I would say is a downgrade from Carr. Like Carr, he has been  broken by his injury history. 

I don't see many ever mention how bad the franchise has been run up until recently. How about all the turn over? How many QBs are successful when you have a new HC and Offense system every year or two years? 

Our defense hasn't been good at all in last decade. 

I'm not saying Carr is top 5 QB but you guys blaming just him is crazy. It's from the top down. We have had one of the least talented rosters for a while. If we can add talent to a good draft from last year in FA and this draft then we can judge a little better. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I don’t think that the Raiders are going to sign Brady. Honestly i don’t see him leaving, I think he’s playing hardball to get a big contract. 

On Tannehill: he was a pretty good prospect coming out of college who needed time, obviously we are seeing the results of that. This shouldn’t be a surprise His reckless style does open him up to injuries as evidenced by his history, i think he tore his ACL on season in Miami. 

That leads to my other point on Carr playing safe. I have it on pretty good authority that they coaches don’t want him to expose himself to injury. For example when he ran a TD against the bengals, they where happy he scored but then they told him not to do that again. They know that he has an injury history and they don’t want him to open himself to injury. 

On Carr as a winner, in college he took Fresno from a middling team to a bowl team every year. That team had no talent and he beat up on the MW. Yeah he’s been part of losing teams in the NFL but he’s also just one part of a team. He’s not good enough to overcome the limits of the surrounding talent. Few guys are tbh. I mean Rodgers just lost yesterday because the defense couldn’t stop Mosert. He hasn’t won a Super Bowl in 10 years but no one is saying that he isn’t good or that he should be replaced with a “winner”. This is a team game which is why the Niners won with their 25 million QB not throwing once in the third. 

Carr is not the same guy who went to Fresno or played for us in 2016. He has been replaced by a very different player.

Perhaps it would help if people just thought of him as an athlete who has lost a few steps. Its an analogy for how Carr isn't what he was and won't be again. 

I'm not suggesting that you don't need a good team to win. I'm suggesting that Carr can and should be replaced to make the team better. At this point in his career, he isn't great and unlikely to improve much. If he wants to renegotiate his contract and get paid 15 a year, I will happily give him another season while I draft his replacement. Otherwise, I'm for saving the money and investing it in another free agent.

Edited by ragingraider

8 minutes ago, ragingraider said:

Carr is not the same guy who went to Fresno or played for us in 2016. He has been replaced by a very different player.

Perhaps it would help if people just thought of him as an athlete who has lost a few steps. Its an analogy for how Carr isn't what he was and won't be again. 

I'm not suggesting that you don't need a good team to win. I'm suggesting that Carr can and should be replaced to make the team better. At this point in his career, he isn't great and unlikely to improve much. If he wants to renegotiate his contract and get paid 15 a year, I will happily give him another season while I draft his replacement. Otherwise, I'm for saving the money and investing it in another free agent.

I'm down to upgrade any position. But who? Who is a free agent that will be upgrade? Tom Brady couldn't do it this year with no weapons and better defense and coaching.

OCD is a hella of a drug...

I think some here are developing mental health issues from all this. This will probably be the most active team board because of it. Until after FA/draft and camp starts, this won't end. For some I think it won't end if things stay the same. Even if Carr got two rookie WR's and threw for 5,000 yards, 50 TD's to 10 ints and won a playoff game. They would obsess over the loss in the playoffs and 'Carrsplainin' (should be the next Carr thred title once this his 100 as it can go for both sides. LOL ) 

PS I'm keeping Carr but I did a Fanspeak last night and Tua was my pick at 12 because Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Brown, Simmions and Young were off the board. I got Higgins at 19 and LB's Dye/ Queen and WR Aiyuk in the 3rd with RB Dillon in the 4th. I'd still keep Carr as my starter and see if Tua can beat him out. I don't think he could but fans will want him more. Carr costs 21.5 million in 2020 with a 5 million dead cap. If Carr balls and Tua is healthy, then I'd look to trade either in 2021. Tua would probably fetch quite a bit and I'd use that to drive Carr's value up too. Either way I get more future ammo to build a team for whoever is the QB. Carr will have 3 seasons with a hair above 20 average or 5 years of Tua on a rookie deal. Either way we could build a team to compete with KC and THAT should be our focus.

PSS Plunkett was a LOSER and didn't become a winner until he had a great team around him and he fit into it perfectly.

Edited by G

3 minutes ago, roi34 said:

I'm down to upgrade any position. But who? Who is a free agent that will be upgrade? Tom Brady couldn't do it this year with no weapons and better defense and coaching.

Exactly.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Totty said:

What about the regular season? You know the games you have to win to qualify for the playoffs. Didn’t Henry have something like 10 games 100 yards or under? We held him to 103. Again let’s not pretend that tanny averaged 100yrds/game all season long.