BDL 2017 Week 2: Portland Horned Owls @ Singapore Sentinels

TedLavie

BDL 2017 Week 2: Portland Horned Owls @ Singapore Sentinels  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/20/2017 at 02:00 PM

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (GTD) are game-time decisions

Portland

QB1: Derek Carr
RB1: LeSean McCoy
WR1: Sammy Watkins
WR2: Davante Adams
WR3: Jermaine Kearse
TE1: Charles Clay
LT: Anthony Castanzo
LG: Alejandro Villanueva
C:  Ben Jones
RG: J.C Tretter
RT: Jared VeldHeer

Reserves:

QB2: Tyrod Taylor
RB2: Jordan Howard
RB3: Ameer Abdullah
FB:  Kyle Juzsczyk 
WR4: Seth Roberts
TE2: Austin Hooper
OL6: Luke Joekel
OL7: Ryan Jensen

Portland's Defense:

RDE: Robert Quinn
3T:  Kawann Short
DT:  Timmy Jernigan
LDE: Emmanual Ogbah 
WLB: Telvin Smith
MLB: Blake Martinez
CB1: Jimmy Smith
CB2: Sean Smith
SCB: Jason McCourtey
FS: Glover Quin
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:

SLB: Bruce Irvin
RLB: Zach Brown
CB4: Bashaud Breeland
CB5: P.J Williams
S3:  Daniel Sorenson
DE3: T.J Watt
DE4: Charles Johnson
DT3: Michael Pierce

Singapore

QB: Ben Roethlisberger 
RB1: LeVeon Bell
WR1: Keenan Allen
WR2: Corey Davis 
WR3: Larry Fitzgerald 
TE1: Jesse James
LT: Cordy Glenn 
LG: Lane Taylor
C: Rodney Hudson
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Marcus Cannon
--------------------
OL6: Ereck Flowers
RB2: Kareem Hunt
RB3: Thomas Rawls
RB4: James Conner
WR4: Zay Jones
WR5: Tyler Lockett
WR6: Mohamed Sanu
TE2: A.J. Derby

DE/OLB: Everson Griffen
DT: Aaron Donald
NT: Linval Joseph
DT: Johnathan Hankins
DE/OLB: Danielle Hunter 
WLB: Shaq Thompson
MLB: Deion Jones
CB: Jalen Mills 
CB: Dre Kirkpatrick
FS: Marcus Maye
SS: Sean Davis
--------------------
CB4: Trae Waynes
CB5: Desmond King
S3: Duron Harmon 
ILB3: Tyler Matakevich
OLB3: John Simon
OLB4: Taco Charlton
OLB5: Matt Judon
NT2: Jarran Reed

Portland

Portland Offensive Gameplan:

The Passing Game: With Sammy Watkins joining our WR corps we'll make plays and get open Singapore's medicore CBs. Assuming Jalen Mills is the Nickel DB like he was last week we'll attack him relentlessly and try and get Davante Adams 1on1 with him by moving Adams into the slot a decent amount. Davante Adams will be our no.2 WR and Jermaine Kearse will be our no.3 Kearse is far from an All-Pro but he's a reliable slot receiever who can catch the ball and get deep. We're going to use 2 TE sets on 10% of the snaps so Charles Clay and Austin Hooper can both get some looks. Sammy Watkins joining us on a short week from Seoul means he won't know 100% of our offense but we'll still get him the ball in space and try to hit him on crossing routes across the middle where he can get YAC. LeSean McCoy will also get a few screens and line up out wide on a decent number of the snaps to keep them from doubling Sammy. Singapore's safeties are a massive weakness and I doubt they'll be able to cover my TEs or RBs Marcus Maye in paticular struggled last week. We'll be using a quick paced offense and get the ball out quick to counter Singapore's fierce Pass rush, We'll also leave a RB or TE/FB in to block/chip when needed. We should be able to carve up Singapore's back seven to the tune of 350+ Yards through the air. Derek Carr will be well protected and and he will make adjustments and audibles as he sees fit, we won't be afraid to attack their LBs who struggle in coverage either. We'll mostly use a passing based offense but we won't be afraid to run it either, but if that doesn't work in the first half we won't be afraid to come out and adjust the gameplan at halftime and get back to running the ball.

The Running Game: With LeSean McCoy being used as a reciever more, we'll be using a two back sets and our stud FB quite a bit. We'll commit to running the football on 45% of the plays to keep Singapore from focusing on the passing game too much. Howard+McCoy should combine for about 25+ carries combined, McCoy will also get at least 4+ Targets. We'll be using Howard to run the ball more this week but LeSean and Abdullah will be mixed in as well to keep him fresh, our blocking should be able to open some decent sized holes against Singapore's D-line and once they get to the second level Singapore's LBs will struggle to wrap up. 

The Blocking: Griffin,Joseph,Hankins,Hunter is a very formiddable d-line and I beleive my o-line is up to the task of keeping them from getting to Carr and opening holes in the running game. We'll be getting the ball out a bit quicker to counter their pass rush a bit but we won't be afraid to take Deep Shots. Castanzo+Veldheer are an elite T duo who will keep their Edge Rushers from making too much of an impact, with Zeitler gone we'll move Tretter to RG. Alejandro Villanueva is an excellent LT and he has played G in the past, so we'll move into the lineup and put him at LG.

TDLR; Attack Singapore's Back Seven, Run the Ball, Do the thing.

Portland Defensive Gameplan: 

Pass Defense: Jimmy Smith will cover Keenan Allen, Sean Smith will cover Mohamed Sanu, Our Nickel DB will man the slot for the most part. Le'Veon Bell+Keenan Allen are our main concerns in the passing game we'll give Jimmy Smith a safety over the top to help cover Allen on occasion. Malcolm Jenkins/a LB will be tasked with keeping an eye on Bell for most of the snaps. I expect Singapore will run the ball heavily and use lots of play action to take deep shots down the field and use their RBs heavily in the passing game, we'll counter this by focusing on the running game and forcing them to throw it to beat us. My pass rush will have tons of oppurtunities for teeing off on the QB since we'll move Bruce Irvin around quite a bit to find a matchup for him to get to Ben.. We'll mostly play Zone Coverage but Jimmy will shadow Allen for most of the game, We'll mix in some man coverage as well. Quinn+Jenkins are an excellent Safety duo who should be able to cover whoever they need to cover on their plays. We'll also use Daniel Sorenson in 3 safety packages.

Run Defense: I expect they'll come out using Bell+Hunt as Dual Threat weapons to keep my defense guessing, we'll focus on stopping the run and forcing them to throw it to beat us. We'll put 8 in the box on a decent number of the plays so Bell+Hunt will have a hard time getting to the second level, their o-line while quite good is much better at pass blocking than it is run blocking. We'll bring in defenders for goaline defense as required, we'll play our dime DB as needed as well. 

The Pass Rush: Quinn+Short+Jernigan+Ogbah is a great d-line that will get to Ben a decent amount, Jernigan will play passing downs and Pierce will play Running downs, Irvin Will be used as a pass rushing chess piece and we'll find him matchups where he can get to Ben. Charles Johnson will rotate with Ogbah and Quinn to keep them fresh. My d-line combined for 4+ sacks in week one and we'll continue to pressure the QB this week. T.J Watt had 2 sacks last week as well and we'll rotate him in to give him some pass rush oppurtunities.

TDLR; Stop the Run, Hit Ben, Focus on their RBs.

Singapore

Offense (3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE)

Corey Davis has shown enough to get promoted to the first team. He’ll join Keenan Allen on the outside to give Big Ben downfield options. Larry Fitzgerald will continue to man the slot. With defenses keeping offenses limited to under 300 yds a lot this year having an OL that will keep their QB upright is huge. Big Ben is tough to bring down in the first place but added seconds will allow him to carve up the Portland secondary. 

The running game gets a boost this week with Hightower out with a knee. Bell looked a little rusty week one but should bounce back this week. He’ll get a 75/25 share of the load with Kareem Hunt spelling him as needed. Rawls and Conner will provide short yardage and GL help.

Jesse James showed off his Red Zone moves last weekend and will hope to continue the streak. Derby gets the bench spot this week due to injuries. 

We will look to spread the Owls defense out with 4 WR formations again this week rotating in Zay Jones and Tyler Lockett.

Defense

Base: 5-2 (Denver)

Singapore welcomes back Aaron Donald this week and moves to our new base defense. The 5-2 will allow us to solidly russ the passer, while defending the run. In the middle, Linval Joseph lines up over Ben Jones and will command double teams from either Joeckel or the new RG. Donald and Hankins will line up over the Tackles and have flexibility to attack the gap of their choice with the weakened interior OL the Owls are now offering. On the edges, Griffen and Hunter will have the option to purely rush the passer or shift into coverage. 

Deion Jones leads the defense and calls the plays again. He and Thompson are free to assess the plays and support the run or take on Charles Clay in coverage. The are both fast and sideline to sideline backers that will limit McCoys yardage.

Jalen Mills  will cover the left side with Dre Kirkpatrick covering the right. They will take man coverage on the receiver opposite them likely newly acquired Watkins and Adams. Trae Waynes will come in for dime packages if they go 4 wide.

Marcus Maye will cover the slot receiver in Roberts or Kearse. Sean Davis will have deep coverage responsibilities. Duron Harmon will be the Big Nickel Safety and first one in for passing downs shifting to double cover Watkins.

Portland 24 – 26 Singapore

84F, Light Wind

Scoring Summary;

1st Quarter

POR       3:38       TD          Jordan Howard 4 yd. pass from Carr (XP kick)   7-0

2nd Quarter

SIN         10:54    TD          Keenan Allen 4 yd. pass from Roethlisberger (XP kick)  7-7

POR       7:57       TD          Jordan Howard 46 yd. run (XP kick)        14-7

SIN         1:32       TD          Le'Veon Bell 4 yd. run (XP missed)           14-13

SIN         0:00       FG           FG 18 yds.           14-16

3rd Quarter

POR       11:23    FG           FG 21 yds.           17-16

SIN         5:34       TD          Keenan Allen 1 yd. pass from Roethlisberger (XP kick)  17-23

4th Quarter

POR       7:12       TD          Davante Adams 13 yd. pass from Carr (XP kick)               24-23

SIN         1:56       FG           FG 35 yds.           24-26

Key Stat Leaders;

Passing;

POR: Derek Carr – 12/18, 194yds, 2TDs, 1Int

SIN: Ben Roethlisberger – 16/16, 216yds, 2TDs, 0Int

Rushing;

POR: Jordan Howard – 10 car, 140yds, 1TD

POR: LeSean McCoy – 8 car, 25yds

SIN: LeVeon Bell – 23 car, 119yds, 1TD

SIN: Kareem Hunt – 9 car, 92yds

Receiving;

POR: LeSean McCoy – 4 recs, 83yds

POR: Sammy Watkins – 1 rec, 29yds

SIN: Larry Fitzgerald – 5 recs, 83yds

SIN: Corey Davis - 3 recs, 55yds

The 5–2 Oklahoma, with defensive ends given the ability to drop back into pass coverage,[13] is indistinguishable from the pro 3–4 defense. It should not come as a surprise then that coaches from Oklahoma (Chuck Fairbanks) and Oklahoma State (Bum Phillips) were among the first to introduce the 3–4 into the NFL.[14] Pretty much but I like the 5-2 because it signifies my Edge guys are on the line Versus standing up.

An ailing Cordy Glenn or Ereck Flowers will hurt Singapore vs Robert Quinn. I think the rest of the line will be alright, despite playing a pretty tough interior DL in Portland's. Bell will do his usual thing despite Portland focus on stopping the run, and I like Big Ben to get a couple of big passes outside to Davis or Allen, though inconsistently. On the other side, I don't mind Portland having two guards who play tackle/center IRL that much, but the shuffle in the OL at the 2 guards positions will lead to growing pains, not something you want to have against that singapore DL. Aside from the DL, Singapore defense is pretty weak and attacking the slot proves out to be a good strategy since Marcus Maye is apparently Singapore slot corner on this one. The quick passing game against an indimating DL and weak secondary is a smart play and I think Portland can develop a passing game in this one. In the end, Portland jumps out to a quick lead but can't protect it due to a lack of running game and Big Ben finds a way to come back from a double digit deficit in the 4th to win in OT 29-23

I think this was a really good match up. I agree that Portland has the advantage in the passing game vs the Sing Sing secondary, but I think that's negated by the strength of SirA's pass rush against Xmad weakened left side of his OL. Castonzo is SO BAD in pass pro (despite what @OleXmad has tried to sell us here), he's a major liability IRL and here, given the guy next to him is an average LT now forced to play out of position. So you put those two guys up against Everson Griffen and Aaron Donald? Derek Carr could get killed. Factored in Sing's solid line, very good offensive weapons I think they'll do just enough to win the game here. 

It is interesting as xmad's assertion of elite tackles is way off base but he came up with screens and quick pass strategy anyway.  Glenn is a train wreck right now for Singapore but Ogbah is just as terrible across the line of scrimmage  In the future, I'd suggest starting Watt.  However Cannon has been worked over really hard this year in the passing game so I don't know why SirA thinks he has a bunch of time

This yells defensive slug fest as neither line is gonna have much success.  In this one I just trust Big Ben to evade a sack and find someone downfield more than Carr who is gonna get harassed all day despite the terrible secondary he's facing.

Singapore 13-10

Archived