Who would your team put into a 2020 Expansion Draft?

jrry32

This questions seem to come up somewhat often. I took a stab at compiling the players that would end up in the Expansion Draft. Each team has to place 5 players. If the player is selected, the entire contract (including any money that would usually be dead cap) goes to the Expansion Team. Due to that rule, teams typically place players they plan to cut, bad contracts they wish they could cut, or bottom-of-the-roster players in the Expansion Draft. If you disagree with any players I have listed from your team or think I should list a player, recommend the player I should remove and recommend a replacement. Here's my list:

Patriots

WR Julian Edelman

S Patrick Chung

HB Brandon Bolden

QB Cody Kessler

OLB Brandon King

Bills

DT Star Lotulelei

TE Tyler Kroft

OL Ty Nsekhe

OL Spencer Long

WR Andre Roberts

Dolphins

S Reshad Jones

WR Albert Wilson

QB Josh Rosen

HB Kalen Ballage

WR Allen Hurns

Jets

HB Le'Veon Bell

CB Trumaine Johnson

WR Quincy Enunwa

OG Brian Winters

WR Jeff Smith

Ravens

CB Brandon Carr

TE Nick Boyle

QB Robert Griffin III

WR Antoine Wesley

CB Terrell Bonds

Steelers

OLB Anthony Chickillo

DL Tyson Alualu

ILB Mark Barron

OL Ramon Foster

P Jordan Berry

Browns

LB Christian Kirksey

RT Chris Hubbard

CB T.J. Carrie

S Morgan Burnett

OL Eric Kush

Bengals

QB Andy Dalton

OT Cordy Glenn

OT Bobby Hart

WR Trenton Irwin

TE Jordan Franks

Texans

OL Senio Kelemete

OLB Davin Bellamy

S Jonathan Owens

HB Karan Higdon

WR Steven Mitchell

Titans

TE Delanie Walker

WR Adam Humphries

HB Dion Lewis

WR Cody Hollister

K Ryan Succop

Colts

DL Margus Hunt

TE Cedrick Lang

OL Travis Vornkahl

DL Gerri Green

CB Jackson Porter

Jaguars

QB Nick Foles

DL Marcell Dareus

WR Marqise Lee

CB D.J. Hayden

TE Geoff Swaim

Chiefs

WR Sammy Watkins

OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff

S Daniel Sorensen

OL Cameron Erving

HB Marcus Marshall

Raiders

S LaMarcus Joyner

LB Tahir Whitehead

LB Derrick Moncrief

CB Jordan Brown

RB Mark Thompson

Broncos

QB Joe Flacco

OL Ronald Leary

WR Bug Howard

RB Jeremy Cox

S P.J. Locke

Chargers

LB Denzel Perryman

DT Brandon Mebane

TE Virgil Green

OL Tyree St. Louis

WR Jalen Guyton

Eagles

DE Brandon Graham

WR River Cracraft

DL Anthony Rush

WR Marken Michel

S Markus Epps

Cowboys

DL Tyrone Crawford

OL Cameron Fleming

RB Jordan Chunn

C Marcus Henry

CB Donovan Olumba

Giants

LB Alec Ogletree

TE Rhett Ellison

LB Kareem Martin

RB Jon Hilliman

LB Chris Peace

Redskins

QB Alex Smith

CB Josh Norman

TE Jordan Reed

WR Paul Richardson

WR Jester Weah

Packers

TE Jimmy Graham

OL Billy Turner

CB DaShaun Amos

FB Elijah Wellman

OL Yosuah Nijman

Vikings

OL Riley Reiff

CB Xavier Rhodes

DL Linval Joseph

QB Jake Browning

CB Marcus Sayles

Bears

TE Trey Burton

CB Prince Amukamara

WR Taylor Gabriel

QB Mitch Trubisky

TE Darion Clark

Lions

TE Jesse James

RT Ricky Wagner

TE Paul Butler

DL Jonathan Wynn

P Jack Fox

Saints

LB Kiko Alonso

CB Janoris Jenkins

CB Patrick Robinson

LB Craig Robertson

WR Emmanuel Butler

Buccaneers

DL William Gholston

HB Aca'Cedric Ware

OT Brad Seaton

CB Herb Miller

WR Spencer Schnell

Falcons

HB Devonta Freeman

C Alex Mack

DL Allen Bailey

OL James Carpenter

RT Ty Sambrailo

Panthers

DL Dontari Poe

WR Jarius Wright

TE Matt Kaskey

S Quin Blanding

OL Aaron Monteiro

49ers

DL Solomon Thomas

HB Jerick McKinnon

WR Marquise Goodwin

DE Jonathan Kongbo

S Chris Edwards

Seahawks

OL Justin Britt

TE Ed Dickson

WR Penny Hart

DL Shakir Soto

RB Adam Choice

Rams

HB Todd Gurley

WR Brandin Cooks

OLB Clay Matthews

SLCB Nickell Robey-Coleman

S Eric Weddle

Cardinals

HB David Johnson

CB Robert Alford

WR A.J. Richardson

CB Andre Chachere

QB Drew Anderson

Here are the rules to the 2002 Expansion Draft (for those curious):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NFL_expansion_draft

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Saints

LB Kiko Alonso

CB Janoris Jenkins

CB Patrick Robinson

LB Craig Robertson

WR Emmanuel Butler

Agree with Kiko. He played as expected for us, tons of heart and strong tackling. He gave up big yardage in coverage from tome to time but somehow found himself involved in a couple of turnovers anyways. But he’s probably done and is way too expensive.

I’d like us to ultimately extend Jenkins for an additional year and get his cap hit down to keep him.

Yep. Peterson sucks. CGJ is the real deal. 

Craig Robertson. Yep. Great special teamer and injury backup, but time has passed him by and we had some young guys show flashes when they were on the field.

I like Butlers potential, but he’s not a bad choice.  Lots of fringe guys like this that could be throw in. 

Put up WR Lil’Jordan or TE Mitch Loewen (you read that right Lions fans, we made him a TE) over Janoris and we’re good.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Falcons

HB Devonta Freeman

C Alex Mack

DL Allen Bailey

OL James Carpenter

RT Ty Sambrailo

I agree with 4/5. Mack wasn't great last year, but you can also argue that since he played hurt all year long, that he still has something in the tank. Plus, I shudder to think how bad the interior of the line would get without him.

I actually love Freeman the player and would say his struggles aren't because of him, but because of the Falcons run blocking being so terrible. However, you can't justify paying a RB in this day and age his contract really needs to come off the books. I'm definitely in the "Running Backs don't matter" category so if you can get a bad RB contract off the books, do it.

The fifth one would probably be Matt Schaub, assuming he doesn't retire.

• Like 1

For the Steelers...

Alualu is good DLine depth.  Not sure they would do it.  Maybe.

Foster is possible, but our front office seems to love him.

If it were up to ME, Pouncey would be the first guy on this list.   Highest paid center and arguably not even top 15 at his position anymore.   

Id also consider Ben.  I think Ben, if healthy, should still be solid, but he will be 38, and his contract is cumbersome.   Im not 100% I would do it, but Id weigh my options.   In reality, it would never happen, though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I agree with 4/5. Mack wasn't great last year, but you can also argue that since he played hurt all year long, that he still has something in the tank. Plus, I shudder to think how bad the interior of the line would get without him.

I actually love Freeman the player and would say his struggles aren't because of him, but because of the Falcons run blocking being so terrible. However, you can't justify paying a RB in this day and age his contract really needs to come off the books. I'm definitely in the "Running Backs don't matter" category so if you can get a bad RB contract off the books, do it.

The fifth one would probably be Matt Schaub, assuming he doesn't retire.

Swap Mack out for Schaub? Got it.

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

For the Steelers...

Alualu is good DLine depth.  Not sure they would do it.  Maybe.

Foster is possible, but our front office seems to love him.

If it were up to ME, Pouncey would be the first guy on this list.   Highest paid center and arguably not even top 15 at his position anymore.   

Id also consider Ben.  I think Ben, if healthy, should still be solid, but he will be 38, and his contract is cumbersome.   Im not 100% I would do it, but Id weigh my options.   In reality, it would never happen, though.

So you would recommend swapping Pouncey and Foster?

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Titans

TE Delanie Walker

WR Adam Humphries

HB Dion Lewis

WR Cody Hollister

K Ryan Succop

i don't love getting rid of humphries. he's struggled with injuries this year but has been a pretty solid 3rd down target when he's been able to get on the field. probably overpaid relative to his performance, so i can see why you picked him, but i would think about perhaps replacing him with darius jennings, who offers nothing at WR and is expendable at KR with kalif raymond's emergence.

otherwise it all makes sense. delanie makes me sad but it is what it is. dion lewis does absolutely nothing and is massively overpaid.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

So you would recommend swapping Pouncey and Foster?

If youre going for realism, probably not.  I think our front office overrates him as much as pro bowl voters do.

It SHOULD happen, but I dont trust that Colbert and Tomlin would do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Patriots

WR Julian Edelman

S Patrick Chung

HB Brandon Bolden

QB Cody Kessler

OLB Brandon King 

My list here would be Marcus Cannon, Rex Burkhead, Jason McCourty, Brandon Bolden, and Patrick Chung. 

Cannon is an average starter at RT but is definitely on his way down. He’s also often injured or nicked up. Cannon’s contract presents some dead money, so being able to get out of it and save almost $9M is worth it. 

Rex had his best season IMO this year. He’s been a solid gasher and good receiver for NE. Unfortunately, he’s another one that isn’t reliable with his health. I imagine NE wants to see what it has in it’s 2nd year player in Damien Harris as well. Burkhead’s dead cap being ignored, it allows NE to save almost $4M. 

Jason McCourty has been great for the Patriots. No complaints from him. He missed a large portion of the season however, and the secondary didn’t miss a beat. It’s deep right now with Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, and 2nd-rounder Williams. Saving a full $5.5M at the deepest position on the roster makes sense. 

Bolden is a great STer and has some value on offense in a pinch. He also costs $2M on a team that’s going to have a lot of turnover in one offseason. 

Finally, Patrick Chung. He’s been super reliable and I doubt NE would entertain getting rid of him, especially with McCourty as a FA/retiring. But he’s long in the tooth and seems be on the downward slope of the mountain. Saving almost $6M here makes sense, even with the position as thin as it is. 

All together, these moves would save NE $20M-$25M in space. It’d thin out the safety position, but for a team that’s going to need every dollar, these some worth it IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Texans

OL Senio Kelemete

OLB Davin Bellamy

S Jonathan Owens

HB Karan Higdon

WR Steven Mitchell

Never heard of Bellamy, Owens. Higdon and Mitchell are maybes - both cheap roster filler, can't really do better or worse than them. Kelemete is halfway out the door.

ILB Berdnardrick McKinney has regressed, and has a pretty hefty price tag - you'd create a need at ILB, but you could depend on Zach Cunningham as the main guy and look for a two down guy in later rounds or in FA.

It wouldn't be popular in Houston, but this would also be the perfect opportunity to get rid of that JJ Watt contract. He's incredibly talented and he's arguably the greatest philanthropists in Houston history, a true good guy. But that contract... it's money that needs to go to Watson and Tunsil.

I'd cry for a while, but I'd understand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Raiders

S LaMarcus Joyner

LB Tahir Whitehead

LB Derrick Moncrief

CB Jordan Brown

RB Mark Thompson

Moncrief, Brown and Thompson were just signed to reserve contracts so i doubt they'd be put on that list.

Gabe Jackson could be an option to get rid of his contract. Brandon Parker has been terrible so far. Not sure about the last one, maybe Nick Nelson.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Patriots

WR Julian Edelman

S Patrick Chung

HB Brandon Bolden

QB Cody Kessler

OLB Brandon King

Marcus CannonRT ($3,733,333)  $8,916,666 4.36

Duron Harmon SS       - - - - ($1,250,000) $5,500,000

Dont'a Hightower  ($2,500,000)  $11,320,305

remove Edelman ,kessler king

Sorry about the scrambled post my cut and paste skills limited. 1st number dead 2nd salary

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1