The MMA Thread | Pereira-Hill to headline UFC 300

beekay414

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

while i hate to even get into this with someone who just wants to be right and dismiss anyone who disagrees with something as silly as you must be a jones hater, what round was close? You couldnt even include that in your post. Reyes had more volume and landed the heavier shots in literally all three rounds. wrestling was essentially non existant. Just because round 2 was closer than 1&3 doesnt mean we should pretend Jon won it.

Round 4 and 5 was clearly Jones.

Round 1 and 3 was clearly Reyes.

Round 2, Reyes had 5 more significant strikes, but Jones was more active, had the take down and landed at a higher percentage iirc. 

while i hate to even get into this with someone who just wants to be right and dismiss anyone who disagrees with something as silly as you must be a jones hater, what round was close? You couldnt even include that in your post. Reyes had more volume and landed the heavier shots in literally all three rounds. wrestling was essentially non existant. Just because round 2 was closer than 1&3 doesnt mean we should pretend Jon won it.

I can only speak for myself, not him. But in 2 and 3 I think the striking was closer than the stats say. I think those stats underrate leg and body shots because they aren't as impactful immediately. But they do have an impact later in the fight and that is why Jones was able to get 4 and 5. 

Again I gave Reyes those rounds, but they were close to me.

Just now, Bearerofnews said:

It is and it isnt. Its how MMA is judged. If you take someone down, regardless what happens after, you need to be rewarded. You imposed your will and dictated at some moment clearly where the fight goes. Also Jones was pressing the entire fight.

I disagree completely and I come from a wrestling background.

This isn’t wrestling, it’s MMA. If you do zero damage and your opponent pops right back up, that does absolutely nothing for you winning that fight. Hell most of those shots from JJ were desperation shots.

My biggest gripe isn’t that JJ won, even though I think he lost, its that some ref gave him 4-1, and even JJ said himself he thinks the TDs are what won him the fight. I think if that’s true, it’s absolutely awful for the sport.

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Guy, even if we want to discredit all 3 judges. You have 3 pretty qualified experts on the commentating team making no huge gripes at all with the Jones win. Only thing they disagree with is 4-1 Jones. Which we all disagree with.

Stop pushing this as some egregious decision like we've seen in the past.

• Like 1

Just now, Bearerofnews said:

Round 2, Reyes had 5 more significant strikes, but Jones was more active, had the take down and landed at a higher percentage iirc. 

who cares about % for one. Secondly, reyes landed harder shots and got right back up. And quote frankly round 4 was really the one that was 50/50, it was not clearly either fighter. basically reyes won half that round and jon won the other.

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

So heres the thing, Reyes unquestionably had more volume. We cant really measure who landed harder but visually that went to reyes as well. Under what criteria does it go to Jones?

You can see in a previous post I value the body and leg shots more than the numbers do.. Visually to me it actually looked like he missed a lot of the real heavy stikes he took. He threw more and while I know what the stats say I don't think it is at all unreasonable to say they don't accurately quantify what happened.

Jones also controlled the center of the octagon pretty much the whole fight.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

You can see in a previous post I value the body and leg shots more than the numbers do.. Visually to me it actually looked like he missed a lot of the real heavy stikes he took. He threw more and while I know what the stats say I don't think it is at all unreasonable to say they don't accurately quantify what happened.

youre confusing me. how do the #s not value leg or body kicks? 

who cares about % for one. Secondly, reyes landed harder shots and got right back up. And quote frankly round 4 was really the one that was 50/50, it was not clearly either fighter. basically reyes won half that round and jon won the other.

Round 2, Jones had alot of Reyes strikes blocked and made Reyes miss. Also percentage does matter. So does pressure and dictating pace. Its not just about what shots make the most noise. That's just a lazy take. Alot goes into judging rounds and round 2 was the only one that was 50/50 and i give it to Jones. 4 and 5 were definitely Jones, no question. Dude even Reyes said it, stop it.

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

youre confusing me. how do the #s not value leg or body kicks? 

From all the fights I've watched they don't count them as often as significant strikes. They have to be stone cold solid unlike shots to the head. So I think they undercount because I don't view them as less impactful.

6 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

he did absolutely nothing with the takedown reyes got right back up. and the only reason he went in is because he was getting rocked. percentage doesn't really matter.

8 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

I disagree completely and I come from a wrestling background.

This isn’t wrestling, it’s MMA. If you do zero damage and your opponent pops right back up, that does absolutely nothing for you winning that fight. Hell most of those shots from JJ were desperation shots.

My biggest gripe isn’t that JJ won, even though I think he lost, its that some ref gave him 4-1, and even JJ said himself he thinks the TDs are what won him the fight. I think if that’s true, it’s absolutely awful for the sport.

MMA scoring is weird, but i get it. Logically it makes sense. It might not be the most accurate way to judge them. Hell i think Reyes should of got points for his takedown defense and how stronge and resilient he was to always get up right away. But Jones still imposed his will abd brought him down and dictated a portion if the fight... regardless how brief.

Yes 4-1 was ridiculous. I do think the takedowns prolly were the difference.. idk.

4 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Round 2, Jones had alot of Reyes strikes blocked and made Reyes miss. Also percentage does matter. So does pressure and dictating pace. Its not just about what shots make the most noise. That's just a lazy take. Alot goes into judging rounds and round 2 was the only one that was 50/50 and i give it to Jones. 4 and 5 were definitely Jones, no question. Dude even Reyes said it, stop it.

nope, doesnt really matter.if i throw 100 stirkes but only connect on 20, shoudl be viewed the same as throwing 20 and lading all of them. if the fighter isnt effecient its on him but it shouldnt penalize himself in the moment. When reyes threw heavy, it got reactions from jon, he retreated and it clearly bothered him... had nothing to do with noise, again thats you just trying to dismiss it because you disagree. Reyes even said he won the first 3 rounds... i guess that means he won? also note, he did not say he lost the 4th. 

4 minutes ago, RavensDefense3 said:

he did absolutely nothing with the takedown reyes got right back up. and the only reason he went in is because he was getting rocked. percentage doesn't really matter.

But thats not how they judge takedowns. Its not about damage or insuing action. Takedowns are credited as points for being a takedown. All takedowns are credited points equally. A takedown is a takedown, it really is that simple. Right or wrong, thats how it is. I dont know if percentage matters to judges or not. But it is telling.