The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

I'm assuming the UFC will try to bring Pimblett up the ranks at a decent pace but if they're doing a show in London I'd love to see him get a top 15 guy. I could see Pimblett fighting Islam for the LW strap within the next couple of years. The boot leg Conor/Khabib 2.0. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'm assuming the UFC will try to bring Pimblett up the ranks at a decent pace but if they're doing a show in London I'd love to see him get a top 15 guy. I could see Pimblett fighting Islam for the LW strap within the next couple of years. The boot leg Conor/Khabib 2.0. 

The stylistic matchup of Paddy/Islam would certainly be more interesting but i hope they bring him on slowly. He’s just 26, the division is still loaded so there’s no rush. Idk if he’s getting paid ridiculous money to come from Cage Warriors so maybe they have to push him but I’d love for them to slow play him like O’Malley to some extent. 

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Exactly i dont think anyone is against Knuckles getting his shot except maybe Paulo Costa lol

The only issue would be Izzy losing then they probably run it back, same thing for Usman/Colby as it pertains to the #1 contender(s) there

I agree if Rob beats Izzy, it's likely to result in a 3rd fight.

Alternatively it might give reason for one of Costa/Vettori to get a title shot, since neither has fought Whittaker yet. But it would probably take a spectacular win by either.

If Izzy beats Rob, it's not crazy to think Brunson gets the next fight. Hard to make Vettori/Costa vs Izzy again, after just losing to him. There's Cannonier, who is only on a 1 fight streak, but that loss being to Whittaker may make him next in line after Rob. Otherwise, Brunson makes sense.

Would still like to see Brunson vs Cannonier though. While his streak is impressive, I do feel like he's gone through guys with very average TTD (Holland, Till, Edmen), or mediocre fighters (Heinisch, Theodorou). Let's see if new, patient Brunson will work against a top fighter like Cannonier.

3 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Alternatively it might give reason for one of Costa/Vettori to get a title shot, since neither has fought Whittaker yet. But it would probably take a spectacular win by either.

If Izzy beats Rob, it's not crazy to think Brunson gets the next fight. Hard to make Vettori/Costa vs Izzy again, after just losing to him. There's Cannonier, who is only on a 1 fight streak, but that loss being to Whittaker may make him next in line after Rob. Otherwise, Brunson makes sense.

Would still like to see Brunson vs Cannonier though. While his streak is impressive, I do feel like he's gone through guys with very average TTD (Holland, Till, Edmen), or mediocre fighters (Heinisch, Theodorou). Let's see if new, patient Brunson will work against a top fighter like Cannonier.

Yea I'm not sure Vettori has spectacular in him since he has just 2 finishes in 11 UFC fights and 1 was Alberto Uda?

I think Cannonier having just lost to Rob needs 1 more win before facing Rob again(you could make a case he's fresh blood vs Izzy) and the same for Brunson who while its been a while since he lost to Izzy, it was so 1-sided, I feel like he needs 1 more.

Cannonier-Brunson is the obvious fight to make as is Vettori/Costa and you know the UFC loves to match coming off wins guys or coming off losses together 

22 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The stylistic matchup of Paddy/Islam would certainly be more interesting but i hope they bring him on slowly. He’s just 26, the division is still loaded so there’s no rush. Idk if he’s getting paid ridiculous money to come from Cage Warriors so maybe they have to push him but I’d love for them to slow play him like O’Malley to some extent. 

I'd like to see him fight the loser of the Bobby Green/Al Iaquinta fight or Terrance McKinney next. Paddy and O'Malley are in much different situations despite both being 26 years old. O'Malley was 8-0 fighting in lower level promotions before earning a spot in the UFC on DWCS. Saturday's win was Paddy's 17th professional win, 13 of which came in Cage Warriors the best MMA promotion in Europe, and 1 in the UFC. He was also a champion in Cage Warriors and beat some decent competition over there. 

I don't think they'll rush him into any huge fight but if he gets a couple more impressive victories he'll definitely be ranked and in a big fight soon. Conor won 5 fights in the UFC before he got his first title shot but fought some high level guys like Holloway and Poirier. 

O'Malley has also publicly admitted that he doesn't want to fight ranked guys unless the UFC is going to pay him more and turned down the opportunity to fight Frankie Edgar on the MSG card. 

13 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea I'm not sure Vettori has spectacular in him since he has just 2 finishes in 11 UFC fights and 1 was Alberto Uda?

I think Cannonier having just lost to Rob needs 1 more win before facing Rob again(you could make a case he's fresh blood vs Izzy) and the same for Brunson who while its been a while since he lost to Izzy, it was so 1-sided, I feel like he needs 1 more.

Cannonier-Brunson is the obvious fight to make as is Vettori/Costa and you know the UFC loves to match coming off wins guys or coming off losses together 

Yeah they definitely need to do the Rob/Izzy rematch next with Brunson/Cannonier for the #1 contender spot. It's insane that Izzy has essentially already cleared out the division but he's in a tough spot because he's not big enough to make the leap to 205 and Usman already said that he wouldn't ever fight him. 

17 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

If Rob beats Izzy I think it's almost guaranteed that they do a trilogy fight. Izzy's 10-0 in the UFC at MW with two wins over Vettori and has dominant wins over Brunson/Costa. Izzy's also going to do much bigger numbers than any of those guys and it's hard to justify giving any of them a title shot over Izzy getting the trilogy especially after the way he finished Rob the first time they fought. 

The UFC is likely hoping that Izzy beats Rob and Jared beats Brunson so Izzy can face some new blood. If he's able to beat those two there's not really much else for him to do at MW. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'd like to see him fight the loser of the Bobby Green/Al Iaquinta fight or Terrance McKinney next. Paddy and O'Malley are in much different situations despite both being 26 years old. O'Malley was 8-0 fighting in lower level promotions before earning a spot in the UFC on DWCS. Saturday's win was Paddy's 17th professional win, 13 of which came in Cage Warriors the best MMA promotion in Europe, and 1 in the UFC. He was also a champion in Cage Warriors and beat some decent competition over there. 

I don't think they'll rush him into any huge fight but if he gets a couple more impressive victories he'll definitely be ranked and in a big fight soon. Conor won 5 fights in the UFC before he got his first title shot but fought some high level guys like Holloway and Poirier. 

O'Malley has also publicly admitted that he doesn't want to fight ranked guys unless the UFC is going to pay him more and turned down the opportunity to fight Frankie Edgar on the MSG card. 

I think McKinney blew out his knee right? in his post-fight celebration?

I agree their scenarios aren't exactly the same but I guess I just dont see the rush to push him too fast. Like you said though a couple more impressive wins and he'll be ranked, I dont disagree with that

As far as the O'Malley stuff:

1. Doesnt that make sense? Considering how their contracts are written, its all # of fights based. Take the easy wins, fight out your contract. Why fight Frankie if you aren't making nearly as much?

2. Isnt his coach competing in something? I know it seems like a weak excuse but given how much coaches sacrifice for their fighters, I feel like they want to give back. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah they definitely need to do the Rob/Izzy rematch next with Brunson/Cannonier for the #1 contender spot. It's insane that Izzy has essentially already cleared out the division but he's in a tough spot because he's not big enough to make the leap to 205 and Usman already said that he wouldn't ever fight him. 

Yea he really has sort of cleaned it out. Izzy kept calling on Till because he was new but we are so far away from that, I cant imagine it happens unless Till is a replacement fighter and even then, he hasn't earned that but the UFC does what they want. Cannonier is the only new blood left for Izzy. Hermansson has an interesting ground game but not exactly a great wrester, Izzy would break him

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

If Rob beats Izzy I think it's almost guaranteed that they do a trilogy fight. Izzy's 10-0 in the UFC at MW with two wins over Vettori and has dominant wins over Brunson/Costa. Izzy's also going to do much bigger numbers than any of those guys and it's hard to justify giving any of them a title shot over Izzy getting the trilogy especially after the way he finished Rob the first time they fought. 

The UFC is likely hoping that Izzy beats Rob and Jared beats Brunson so Izzy can face some new blood. If he's able to beat those two there's not really much else for him to do at MW. 

Yea if the UFC is giving an immediate rematch to Weili, Izzy gets one no matter what happens in the 2nd fight

To your point, it makes me wonder if the UFC is worried that Brunson will beat Jared and they lose the new blood angle. Maybe Jared is already #1 contender in their eyes

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea he really has sort of cleaned it out. Izzy kept calling on Till because he was new but we are so far away from that, I cant imagine it happens unless Till is a replacement fighter and even then, he hasn't earned that but the UFC does what they want. Cannonier is the only new blood left for Izzy. Hermansson has an interesting ground game but not exactly a great wrester, Izzy would break him

Sean Strickland is that new blood IMO. If/when he beats Rockhold, he's going to be on the shortlist of title contenders at 185. Really wish the UFC didn't let Mousasi go. I'd KILL to see Izzy-Gegard. You gotta believe the UFC is hoping that guys like Du Plessis and Hawes keep winning. There's also this Chimaev fella we're all waiting on in 2021 but he could be 170 more so than 185.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Sean Strickland is that new blood IMO. If/when he beats Rockhold, he's going to be on the shortlist of title contenders at 185. Really wish the UFC didn't let Mousasi go. I'd KILL to see Izzy-Gegard. You gotta believe the UFC is hoping that guys like Du Plessis and Hawes keep winning. There's also this Chimaev fella we're all waiting on in 2021 but he could be 170 more so than 185.

Strickland probably needs 2 more wins assuming he beats Rockhold

I agree 100%. Letting Gegard go was a BIG mistake

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)