The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Two of the biggest scumbags in MMA finished their fights unable to get off the canvas. Can’t ask for more than that. 

Greg Hardy, yes. 

Does Conor have domestic violence on his record? Nope. 

Conor talks trash to hype fights and is always humble after the fight is over win or lose (unless his opponent isn’t humble). It’s all to hype up the fight. Sometimes he goes to extreme measures, but it has made him the richest and most popular MMA Fighter in history and I doubt anyone will surpass his popularity in the next couple decades. 

I’d be doing the same thing if I was in the UFC, and I’m a pretty nice guy. Honestly everyone should be following Conor’s model (and a lot have, Conor started the MMA trash talk era). If you are not there to maximize your wealth and maximize the tickets you sell, you shouldn’t be there. It’s a business before a skills competition. 

Just now, Pats#1 said:

For how many more fights though? Yes his trash talking helped, but it was his amazing performances that truly got ppl to tune in.

If he loses his next fight I don’t think he’ll be a guaranteed slam dunk anymore for the UFC with what he commands in PPV share and up front payment. 

He'll draw better than 95% of the roster until the day he retires.

• Like 1

To be fair, we talk about "he's only got 1 win since 2016", but his losses in that time are to Poirier and Khabib - the best of the best.

He basically only fights high-level guys because of his profile. That creates the illusion that he's no good because he's not going out and putting on winning streaks.

He ran over Cerrone in his one step down, as he was supposed to do. I'd need to see him lose against someone like a Kevin Lee or an RDA before saying he's done - unless "done" just means he's not top 1-2 in the division.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

He's not elite like he was, absolutely, but he's the furthest thing from "done." Done is BJ Penn or Gray Maynard. McGregor is still a highly competitive fighter regardless of what he once was. Just because he's no longer a freight train, doesn't mean he's done. He soared to heights nobody ever has and no he's dealing with the fallout. 

He's "done" in the same way Aaron Rodgers was "done" in 2019.

I agree with this to an extent.

I think he is realizing the hard way what humping up two weight classes actually means. He connects plenty still because his striking is elite, but he’s not sleeping ppl like he was at lighter weights.

Now his grappling and gas tank are more important than ever and no matter how hard he trains neither of those will ever be elite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

That’s not saying much lol

and 95% of the roster doesn’t command 1/100th of what he does both up front and on the back end.

1 minute ago, Buckrock101 said:

To be fair, we talk about "he's only got 1 win since 2016", but his losses in that time are to Poirier and Khabib - the best of the best.

He basically only fights high-level guys because of his profile. That creates the illusion that he's no good because he's not going out and putting on winning streaks.

He ran over Cerrone in his one step down, as he was supposed to do. I'd need to see him lose against someone like a Kevin Lee or an RDA before saying he's done - unless "done" just means he's not top 1-2 in the division.

I think he’s in a unique situation where he only expects to fight the top of the division because of his draw/popularity.

Could he hand around and tune up more journeymen like Cerrone, absolutely, but I don’t think he wants to do that. And that’s why I think he’s closer to done than anything else. Because he won’t continuously take the Cerrone type opponent even after losses.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He'd have to be Bisping'd to the point of people getting tired of seeing him get Bisping'd before he'd cease being a huge draw.  It's standard-faire old school wrestling heel philosophy: People will pay to see him for the sheer hope of seeing him get his *** handed to him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Greg Hardy, yes. 

Does Conor have domestic violence on his record? Nope. 

Conor talks trash to hype fights and is always humble after the fight is over win or lose (unless his opponent isn’t humble). It’s all to hype up the fight. Sometimes he goes to extreme measures, but it has made him the richest and most popular MMA Fighter in history and I doubt anyone will surpass his popularity in the next couple decades. 

I’d be doing the same thing if I was in the UFC, and I’m a pretty nice guy. Honestly everyone should be following Conor’s model (and a lot have, Conor started the MMA trash talk era). If you are not there to maximize your wealth and maximize the tickets you sell, you shouldn’t be there. It’s a business before a skills competition. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/19/sports/conor-mcgregor-lawsuit-ufc.html

https://www.sportbible.com/ufc/news-conor-mcgregor-charged-with-assault-for-punching-man-in-dublin-bar-20191004

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/11/conor-mcgregor-arrest-miami-phone-fan-photo-ufc 

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2018/07/conor-mcgregor-court-pleads-guilty-avoid-jailtime

Miss me with defending this scumbag

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

Where is the domestic violence? Bar fights and being a hothead with certain fans (who are likely running their mouths). Cool. Where are the guns? Did he do a hit and run on a pregnant woman…? 

Odds are you didn’t like McGregor before any of that because of his trash talk. Smartest marketer MMA has ever had. He did the right thing and now will live a more financial free life that anyone on this forum could ever dream about. 

Conor laid the blue print. If I was in the UFC I’d be talking the same exact trash. It’s all business. It’s a business number one, a skills competition a distant number two. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)