The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

Just now, Dr LBC said:

Tito was/has been getting fights off solely reputation/past-glory and his mouth for a while, too.  Rampage too.  Frank Shamrock basically did the same.  It's nothing new.  Like I said, guys were doing it in pro wrestling for years - Gorgeous George pretty much wrote the actual blueprint in 50's.

none of those guys were chael or conor on the mic though. Really not even close to the point that anyone cared. Rampage was always funny, but trash talking like Chael or Conor... not his thing. the other two were never in the same stratosphere promo wise and talking on the mic. Tito had a run, but it was way more about the run then what he ever said in interviews.

I will leave food for thought that Tom Brady went 10 years without winning a Super Bowl and then eclipsed 4 more, more than his previous 3. 

Obviously team sports and tons of differences but you get the point. Hopefully Conor comes back and is more focused than ever. Although, I don’t have my hopes up. 

Personally, the guy is best at 145. He is unstoppable at that division. 155 he sacrifices too much speed and cardio. 145 people forget Conor actually did have cardio, 3 rounds no sweat at all. 

He did have to almost kill himself to make 145 but it would be nice to see him back there again. 

5 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Tito was/has been getting fights off solely reputation/past-glory and his mouth for a while, too.  Rampage too.  Frank Shamrock basically did the same.  It's nothing new.  Like I said, guys were doing it in pro wrestling for years - Gorgeous George pretty much wrote the actual blueprint in 50's.

I think late 90’s Mike Tyson deserves a mention as well. After the ear bite, he went full heel, up to that “I want to eat his children” post-fight interview and racked up PPV buys playing that role. 

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

2 judges gave Dustin a 10-8 rd. Tho I think they prob thought Conor got dropped by the punch and not breaking his leg, maybe

I honestly don’t know how you judge that. Even if he didn’t break anything and it just had been a slip, he was still about 5 seconds from getting stopped with the way Dustin swarmed and he wasn’t doing enough to defend himself (which obviously was because of the injury). How much does the fact that he was saved by the bell weigh into how you call that?

I could see an argument for that warranting a 10-8 if you’re actually going by the rules that allow 10-8 rounds to be more common. 

Dustin said a 4th fight is going to happen either "in the octagon or on the sidewalk" so I think we can expect it down the line.

Also, I don't know how you score that a 10-8 unless you thought the break was a knock down (which is wasn't). Dustin missed on a lot of those elbows. Clearly, obviously, won the round but it was nowhere near a 10-8 round.

24 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

God damn, I love Dustin Poirier. We both employ the same mentality towards life. Obviously, I'm not a fighter but the whole "control what you can control" mentality is such a huge part to life for me. Helped me grow as a human being.

Good

Edited by Herbie_Hancock

20 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

his leg was def broken before the step

right before conor threw two kicks, both hit where his leg broke, 1st kinda hit dustin in the upper leg/thigh, 2nd one dustin ckecked with his elbow on a front kick right where it broke. wonder if that broke it

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Personally, the guy is best at 145. He is unstoppable at that division. 155 he sacrifices too much speed and cardio. 145 people forget Conor actually did have cardio, 3 rounds no sweat at all. 

He did have to almost kill himself to make 145 but it would be nice to see him back there again. 

How many fights did Conor have at 145 that went the distance? The holloway fight, iirc. But everything else i think he was just knocking people out so I dunno if we got to see his gas tank really tested at that division.

Conor physically should still be a 145er but he'd run into the same problem in that division as well which is guys are just better and more well rounded fighters. Being a KO artist is cool but when that doesn't work, what else do you have? 

Guys are rapidly evolving and are good everywhere. You can't be a part time MMA fighter.

i wasn't even really rooting for anyone in the fight, but it's only conor fights that make my heart speed up to the point i have to actively think about controlling my breathing. dustin's one of the best guys in the sport and the clear #1 lightweight in the world with khabib outta town, so happy he got it. would've been fun to see conor go on a tear tho. think he would've starched charles tbh. 

when he heals up... even if he wants the dustin rematch... i hope dana at least somewhat builds him back him up. give him like tony ferguson or **** call up diego sanchez and give him to conor. maybe conor knew wtf he was talking about when he was requesting that fight lol 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)