The MMA Thread | Pereira-Hill to headline UFC 300

beekay414

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea and Tony has a track record of starting slow. It is a recipe for disaster especially since Gaethje has legit KO power

Yup. Gathje has finished his last 3 opponents in the 1st round with his average fight time being like 2:40 seconds. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Another interesting thing to think about is what happens if ish hits the fan and a fighter gets sick or dies? How bad does that hurt the UFC?

All fighters and personnel there are being tested beforehand right? I would assume chances are lower than if you or I went to the grocery store(aside from just the regular danger of being in a fight) but it would be a catastrophe of sorts for the UFC but at the same time its not like the fighters are unaware of the consequences of going outside either

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

All fighters and personnel there are being tested beforehand right? I would assume chances are lower than if you or I went to the grocery store(aside from just the regular danger of being in a fight) but it would be a catastrophe of sorts for the UFC but at the same time its not like the fighters are unaware of the consequences of going outside either

Don't test results take days to receive though? And most don't have symptoms for 2-14 days anyway. When do they get tested? Because you always run the risk of a fighter testing negative now but then become infected before the fight. Especially in a small venue like this where there are limited locker rooms, etc. One fighter has it and the potential risk that it spreads to most of, if not everyone at the event is pretty damn high. 

And at the end of the day while the fighters know the consequences, this is ultimately an executive decision by the UFC. I can guarantee you that if the NBA was willing to resume most of their players would come back in a heart beat. But the league had to make the decision to suspend play in order to protect player health. And even then with a league like the NBA the majority of players are well off financially so there's no real pressure or rush for them to come back. While in the UFC a lot of these fighters live fight to fight because they make peanuts compared to other athletes. So of course most of them would be more willing to take the risk and compete because they need the money to survive. 

I just think it's going to look terrible on the UFC's part if anything goes wrong. Especially with the Governor of California and the CSAC both doubling down saying that they don't support what the UFC is doing. Plus I read that one of the reasons Dana has been so adamant about pushing the cards through is because the UFC has to hit a card quota every year in order to maximize their deal with ESPN. 

10 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Cruz in for Aldo vs. The Cringe King

Should be a great fight either

Not sure if Aldo just couldn't get in the US or what

That should be a much better fight than the original. Will be interesting to see if that card even happens though. I still have my doubts that UFC 249 is even going to happen at this point.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Don't test results take days to receive though? And most don't have symptoms for 2-14 days anyway. When do they get tested? Because you always run the risk of a fighter testing negative now but then become infected before the fight. Especially in a small venue like this where there are limited locker rooms, etc. One fighter has it and the potential risk that it spreads to most of, if not everyone at the event is pretty damn high. 

And at the end of the day while the fighters know the consequences, this is ultimately an executive decision by the UFC. I can guarantee you that if the NBA was willing to resume most of their players would come back in a heart beat. But the league had to make the decision to suspend play in order to protect player health. And even then with a league like the NBA the majority of players are well off financially so there's no real pressure or rush for them to come back. While in the UFC a lot of these fighters live fight to fight because they make peanuts compared to other athletes. So of course most of them would be more willing to take the risk and compete because they need the money to survive. 

I just think it's going to look terrible on the UFC's part if anything goes wrong. Especially with the Governor of California and the CSAC both doubling down saying that they don't support what the UFC is doing. Plus I read that one of the reasons Dana has been so adamant about pushing the cards through is because the UFC has to hit a card quota every year in order to maximize their deal with ESPN. 

I think it a terrible look regardless of what happens.  Uncle Dana trying to act like the savior of the sports world, and is one of those right wing cats that believe the economy is more important than human life.  I would hope that people will boycott watching this, but it's the only gig in town, sooooooo people are gonna buy, and watch.

But at the end of the day....eff Dana

and Rose is off the card...would be great if Gaethje or Tony really did have to back out.

• Like 1