The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

8 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

What are you guys' top 5 fights were one of the fighters took such damage, they probably weren't the same fighter or person again? Or probably won't be if it was a recent one.

Shogun Rua

The beating Dan Henderson put on him took his chin. He went from 20-5 and perennial title contender to 6-6-1 and barely at gatekeeper status.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Shogun Rua

The beating Dan Henderson put on him took his chin. He went from 20-5 and perennial title contender to 6-6-1 and barely at gatekeeper status.

i remember thinking neither  would be the same after that.

Another one is Chris Leben after Anderson Silva. Not sure who remembers that but leben was the betting favorite and was like 15-1 going into the fight. after that beat down he finished his career like 7-10 or something crazy. He was 1 fight from a title shot and never sniffed it again.

Edited by Big Snack

On 5/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Cejudos coach doesn’t think he’s done even so i doubt they put together a title shot that quickly since the retirement was a shock. I’d think Usman/Masvidal. I doubt they wanna do a Conor fight soon with no gate

He vacated and they already had Benavidez fight for it and was KO'd by a dude that missed weight

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Jon Jones vs. Francis Ngannou is the best fight the UFC can make. Hopefully it gets done.

Idk if Francis takes that fight. He has so much more to lose. Almost any other HW era, he's fighting for the belt now. If he fights Jones and loses, then Jones very likely fights winner of DC/Stipe and if its DC's swan song then you give it Stipe/Jones. Most title defenses in Stipe vs most decorated LHW champ ever while Francis just smashes everyone else

Is it just me or is light heavyweight more top-heavy than it has been in a while? Santos and Reyes both have claim to a rematch with Jones and of course there's Jan too. I feel like you need Bones to fight 1 of those 3, and have the other 2 fight for a #1 contender spot but considering loads of people want to see the Jones/Ngannou fight I'm guessing someone is left out in the cold at LHW

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is it just me or is light heavyweight more top-heavy than it has been in a while? Santos and Reyes both have claim to a rematch with Jones and of course there's Jan too. I feel like you need Bones to fight 1 of those 3, and have the other 2 fight for a #1 contender spot but considering loads of people want to see the Jones/Ngannou fight I'm guessing someone is left out in the cold at LHW

The LHW division is trash and has been trash for quite some time. Under no circumstances should someone like Jan Blachowicz be in the top 5 or be considered a title contender but here we are. 

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Idk if Francis takes that fight. He has so much more to lose. Almost any other HW era, he's fighting for the belt now. If he fights Jones and loses, then Jones very likely fights winner of DC/Stipe and if its DC's swan song then you give it Stipe/Jones. Most title defenses in Stipe vs most decorated LHW champ ever while Francis just smashes everyone else

I don't this fight happens either but I think it's because Jones turns it down. I don't think Ngannou has many other options for a fight right now until they figure out what they're doing w Stipe. 

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

The LHW division is trash and has been trash for quite some time. Under no circumstances should someone like Jan Blachowicz be in the top 5 or be considered a title contender but here we are. 

I don't this fight happens either but I think it's because Jones turns it down. I don't think Ngannou has many other options for a fight right now until they figure out what they're doing w Stipe. 

At the very least there are options we haven't seen or options that made good fights at LHW. Ngannou has no other options because at least Jones gets him a massive payday but any other fight is less money and can do just as much damage to his immediate title ambitions

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)