The MMA Thread | Pereira-Hill to headline UFC 300

beekay414

17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Not a Conor hater at all but i just dont see how beating Cowboy should get him a title shot

I hear ya but it nots worth debating. Im not sure what to say. If Conor wants a the title shot at 155 he's gonna get it and Gaethje little winning streak isn't gonna out weight the money involved if Conor wants the Ferg/Khabib winner 

Gaethje is 3-2 over last 5 with wins over 2 guys that are both 1-4 in there last 5 fights and Cerrone who just got steamrolled in 40 seconds.

If you wanna argue Gaethje deserves the title shot break the 2 fighters down over last 5 fights

Gaethje 3-2 (beating Barboza, Vick and Cerrone)

Conor 3-2 ( beating Cerrone 170, Diaz 170 and Alvarez)

Same Alvarez who Conor annihilated beat Gaethje. I don't agree with MMA math but in this case, it's hard to make an argument against Conor especially when you add the financial aspect 

Edited by BillsGuy82
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I hear ya but it nots worth debating. Im not sure what to say. If Conor wants a the title shot at 155 he's gonna get it and Gaethje little winning streak isn't gonna out weight the money involved if Conor wants the Ferg/Khabib winner 

Gaethje is 3-2 over last 5 with wins over 2 guys that are both 1-4 in there last 5 fights and Cerrone who just got steamrolled in 40 seconds.

If you wanna argue Gaethje deserves the title shot break the 2 fighters down over last 5 fights

Gaethje 3-2 (beating Barboza, Vick and Cerrone)

Conor 3-2 ( beating Cerrone 170, Diaz 170 and Alvarez)

Same Alvarez who Conor annihilated beat Gaethje. I don't agree with MMA math but in this case, it's hard to make an argument against Conor especially when you add the financial aspect 

Conor gets what Conor wants, i get it. Dont love it but i get it. Taking the financial aspect away(impossible i know) its very close. Conor being hella inactive has to hurt too. 

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Conor gets what Conor wants, i get it. Dont love it but i get it. Taking the financial aspect away(impossible i know) its very close. Conor being hella inactive has to hurt too. 

I think Gaethje will end up fighting the Felder/Hooker winner tbh. Win that than he will 💯 be in line for a title shot. Take a fight, win a fight and clear all doubt 

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Not a Conor hater at all but i just dont see how beating Cowboy should get him a title shot

This x 1000. Not to mention, it's bad for business to end this Conor magic by feeding him right back to Khabib. 

Make the BMF title match where he has a better (although not great) shot and cash in on that gimmick while it's still alive. Making another fight for that "belt" might establish that belt for future fights. Giving him a 155lb title shot is stupid rankings wise and business wise. 

Barring some sort of conviction stemming his pending SA cases. Which I have to believe is unlikely due to the UFC's willingness to even get back into the Conor business. I think it's hard to see the Conor train derailing anytime soon. Dana has a hard on for the Khabib rematch, but it really doesn't feel like the right time. The Tony fight is next up, then Ramadan, and Conor wants a quick turnaround. The Masvidal fight makes the most sense. I know Dana is scared about the What If's?, of Conor potentially losing that rather tough style match up vs Jorge. The McGregor brand has shown enough durability to where he should eventually give in though. If Conor loses to Jorge they'll just say he never should've been at 170 to begin with yada yada yada. We've heard it all before.

I think Masvidal should be next up, and if Conor wins they'll probably let him have his pick of which champion to face Usman or Khabib. Any loss from Conor will probably bring out Nate for the trilogy fight, or get someone like Tony Ferguson/Justin Gaethje into the mix. I think Conor might have one more shocking victory up his sleeve, but I don't see him going on any kind of big run at this point. A motivated and focused Conor can work any given fighter on any night as far as stand up goes, but I think he's reached the height of his glory thus far(Champ Champ).

He's a really fun fighter and I think we'll get some great fights out of him for the next couple of years regardless of status though. Even if he isn't constantly pushing for the belt anymore. Sport is definitely more interesting with him in it, that's for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont get why Dana is afraid of him fighting Jorge but not Khabib. Both would have big numbers but if you want Conor to win I’d think his best chance is vs Jorge if he doesnt punch himself out quickly 

I think he feels the Conor-Khabib rematch is on another plane in terms of money/impact/reach/visibility etc etc. And that it's better to have Khabib steal/gain shine(Undefeated Phenom Champion), rather than Masvidal. In his head the Conor-Jorge fight is always going to be there, much like the Diaz fight for Conor. Whereas there's a limited window where he can max out the Khabib fight or even justify it. Probably also views(rightly so) Conor and Khabib as much more volatile entities that he should take advantage of while he can.

It's more about "The right order" than anything else I guess. Dana understands that Conor is going to lose again in his career. It's just about maximizing the business they can do throughout that process/said career.

As long as he's dialed in and focused, Conor could legitimately knock out any of these guys they'll put before him. I don't think it's likely that he does, and I'm forever going to damper expectations after his awful performance against Khabib the first go around. It's possible though. 

What sucks is, if he does do the unthinkable and chain together like 2 Khabib Ws or something. ****** the WW belt etc. You just know Floyd is going to pop back out and that whole circus will F'n kick off again. So if you're a fan of Conor in MMA, even his winning will have a downside eventually.

I posted this in the old thread but wanted to post it here too because of the ridiculousness of the assertion that Khabib beats Daniel Cormier in wrestling. 

”I assume you’re talking about these videos?

https://punditarena.com/mma/ccunningham/1watch-khabib-nurmagomedov-grappling-daniel-cormier-luke-rockhold/

A couple videos of teammates messing around and doing light take down/grappling defense means absolutely nothing.

The videos are showing pretty routine warm ups/technique practice where both guys are going about 50% - 60% and allowing one another to do their techniques while giving partial defense.”

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 1:31 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

Let's continue the subject where people overrate Usman as a wrestler and Masvidal as a whole. He fought a Woodley who looked like he should retire and until he got Covington on the jaw, could've lost that fight as well. Ben Askren had no business in the UFC, evidently. Nate is just a pothead who's best days are behind him. Conor could beat Masvidal.

Khabib would own Usman. I bet a Welterweight Tony Ferguson would beat Usman.

Usman overrated as a wrestler? Absolutely not. He's one of the best wrestlers in the game, without a doubt. His wrestling and top control is a problem for just about anyone.

His striking, though, is very basic. He's got length, he's got decent power, but his defense is wide open. That's what makes a lot of matchups like Conor or Jorge so interesting. There's a definite path to victory, but getting there without ending up underneath Usman for 5 rounds is another thing.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 7:23 AM, DreamKid said:

I think he feels the Conor-Khabib rematch is on another plane in terms of money/impact/reach/visibility etc etc. And that it's better to have Khabib steal/gain shine(Undefeated Phenom Champion), rather than Masvidal. In his head the Conor-Jorge fight is always going to be there, much like the Diaz fight for Conor. Whereas there's a limited window where he can max out the Khabib fight or even justify it. Probably also views(rightly so) Conor and Khabib as much more volatile entities that he should take advantage of while he can.

It's more about "The right order" than anything else I guess. Dana understands that Conor is going to lose again in his career. It's just about maximizing the business they can do throughout that process/said career.

As long as he's dialed in and focused, Conor could legitimately knock out any of these guys they'll put before him. I don't think it's likely that he does, and I'm forever going to damper expectations after his awful performance against Khabib the first go around. It's possible though. 

What sucks is, if he does do the unthinkable and chain together like 2 Khabib Ws or something. ****** the WW belt etc. You just know Floyd is going to pop back out and that whole circus will F'n kick off again. So if you're a fan of Conor in MMA, even his winning will have a downside eventually.

I get that its a strike while the iron is hot thing and if he loses to someone else it hurts a record breaking PPV opportunity so i guess its a facade that he’s worried about Conor facing Jorge