The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Hmm I think Connor is too inactive and I doubt he has the motivation to be champ again without possibility of fighting Khabib again.

I see Ferguson vs Gaethje or Chandler for belt

Poirier deserves to fight for the belt whether it's against Conor, Gathje, or Ferguson. Michael Chandler needs to beat at least two top 10 guys before he deserves to be in title contention, he wasn't even the champ in Bellator when he left. And got beat by Will Brooks twice who was the champ in Bellator but couldn't even hang on the prelims in the UFC.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Tough to argue against anyway that says Khabib the GOAT at this point.

If it was anyone else retiring I’d say it’s a guarantee that a McGregor rematch would be in the works if he beats Poitier, but Khabib is just a different breed. 

100% Khabib is the GOAT of MMA. He's never even been in trouble or remotely close to losing a fight in his career. IIRC, he only lost 1 round in the UFC. 

I could see him taking some time off, getting the itch to fight again, and taking one more bout. But it definitely wouldn't be against Conor, it'd probably be a catch weight bout against GSP. 

• Like 1

Couldn't watch the fights Saturday night, busy during the day Sunday, so had to go dark all day to keep from finding out the results. No wifi, no mobile data, no nothing. Thank god I made it lol.

With the gift of hindsight, knowing where Khabib's mind was at going into this fight, there was no way there would be any result other than a Khabib win. The way he pressured Gaethje was absolutely insane. That's usually Gaethje's game. I never saw Gaethje being chased around the octagon like that before. It's a testament to how great Khabib is that he makes amazing, confident fighters just look out of their depth.

Think there was a different mindset and gameplan for Khabib in this fight compared to others. Usually when he gets on top, he slowly breaks his opponent, often drawing the fight out longer by not directly hunting a finish. In this fight, he went for the armbar at the end of the first, and obviously the triangle in the second that finished it. That's quite unlike what he showed us previously. I really feel like he didn't want to be out there, and wanted to finish the fight as soon as possible.

Think there's an outside chance he comes back at some point to fight GSP, or possibly Tony Ferguson. The idea being, get to 30-0, and get a win over one of these guys he clearly respects as a competitor. I believe 30-0 and GSP/Tony were in his father's plans as well, which would be a reason to do it. But it definitely seems like he's not interested in the continued grind without his father by his side.

I'm guessing now they'll make Conor-Poirier for the title. Not sure if that fight was official yet or not. But it would be the perfect opportunity to kick off the post-Khabib era. Then Gaethje vs the winner - I'd be super excited for either a rematch vs Poirier or Conor-Gaethje.

A tournament would be even better (though it's not going to happen). 8-man grand prix:

• Conor
  • Gaethje
  • Poirier
  • Tony
  • Chandler
  • Hooker
  • Oliveira
  • Felder/Makhachev/Dariush

That would be dope. Maybe even have Holloway a part of it if he wants to go to 155.

• Like 1

Other highlight from the night was Whittaker. Damn what an amazing fight from him. Cannonier is a bad mfer, but Whittaker was on another level in this fight.

Hopefully we see Adesanya vs Whittaker 2 now. That's clearly the fight to make. Think Whittaker's game plan was a big reason the first fight went the way it did, 2nd time around it should be a lot more competitive. With two strikers as high level as Rob and Izzy, I think we've got the makings of an all-time great fight. In terms of legacy (which Izzy talks about a lot), I think a second win over Whittaker does more than fighting Jan at 205.

53 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

A tournament would be even better (though it's not going to happen). 8-man grand prix:

(1) Gaethje vs (8) Felder - BANGERANG
(2) Poirier vs (7) Oliveira
(3) Ferguson vs (6) Chandler
(4) McGregor vs (5) Hooker

Would be ******* epic and that's without having Holloway in it. If they'd rather have Holloway, I'd take out Oliveira despite his win streak. Can't bump Felder IMO as Felder's already beaten Oliveira and he's someone you have to have in that tournament due to how much of a fan favorite he is.

(1) Gaethje vs (8) Felder
(2) Poirier vs (7) Chandler
(3) Ferguson vs (6) Hooker
(4) McGregor vs (5) Holloway

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Couldn't watch the fights Saturday night, busy during the day Sunday, so had to go dark all day to keep from finding out the results. No wifi, no mobile data, no nothing. Thank god I made it lol.

With the gift of hindsight, knowing where Khabib's mind was at going into this fight, there was no way there would be any result other than a Khabib win. The way he pressured Gaethje was absolutely insane. That's usually Gaethje's game. I never saw Gaethje being chased around the octagon like that before. It's a testament to how great Khabib is that he makes amazing, confident fighters just look out of their depth.

Think there was a different mindset and gameplan for Khabib in this fight compared to others. Usually when he gets on top, he slowly breaks his opponent, often drawing the fight out longer by not directly hunting a finish. In this fight, he went for the armbar at the end of the first, and obviously the triangle in the second that finished it. That's quite unlike what he showed us previously. I really feel like he didn't want to be out there, and wanted to finish the fight as soon as possible.

Think there's an outside chance he comes back at some point to fight GSP, or possibly Tony Ferguson. The idea being, get to 30-0, and get a win over one of these guys he clearly respects as a competitor. I believe 30-0 and GSP/Tony were in his father's plans as well, which would be a reason to do it. But it definitely seems like he's not interested in the continued grind without his father by his side.

Thats so freakin hard sometimes. I feel ya brother. 

I just dont think he comes back. IF what he says about promising his Mother is true unless she comes to him(because I doubt he'd talk to her directly after she wanted him done) I think he's officially retired

5 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I'm guessing now they'll make Conor-Poirier for the title. Not sure if that fight was official yet or not. But it would be the perfect opportunity to kick off the post-Khabib era. Then Gaethje vs the winner - I'd be super excited for either a rematch vs Poirier or Conor-Gaethje.

• Conor
  • Gaethje
  • Poirier
  • Tony
  • Chandler
  • Hooker
  • Oliveira
  • Felder/Makhachev/Dariush

That would be dope. Maybe even have Holloway a part of it if he wants to go to 155.

I think we all agree a tournament would be great. I think they'd have to put in Makhachev there almost like a final goodbye to Khabib but also its not like Felder/Dariush are so amazing anyways. At least Islam is new

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Other highlight from the night was Whittaker. Damn what an amazing fight from him. Cannonier is a bad mfer, but Whittaker was on another level in this fight.

Hopefully we see Adesanya vs Whittaker 2 now. That's clearly the fight to make. Think Whittaker's game plan was a big reason the first fight went the way it did, 2nd time around it should be a lot more competitive. With two strikers as high level as Rob and Izzy, I think we've got the makings of an all-time great fight. In terms of legacy (which Izzy talks about a lot), I think a second win over Whittaker does more than fighting Jan at 205.

Agreed 100%

Rob is such likable guy too. Its crazy he wasn't more popular beforehand. I think bc of Covid people are watching/listening to alot more stuff and loving it

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

(1) Gaethje vs (8) Felder - BANGERANG
(2) Poirier vs (7) Oliveira
(3) Ferguson vs (6) Chandler
(4) McGregor vs (5) Hooker

Would be ******* epic and that's without having Holloway in it. If they'd rather have Holloway, I'd take out Oliveira despite his win streak. Can't bump Felder IMO as Felder's already beaten Oliveira and he's someone you have to have in that tournament due to how much of a fan favorite he is.

(1) Gaethje vs (8) Felder
(2) Poirier vs (7) Chandler
(3) Ferguson vs (6) Hooker
(4) McGregor vs (5) Holloway

Dont take out my boy Do Bronx! Isnt Felder retired anyways?

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)