Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
beekay414

The MMA Thread | Khabib retires

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I'm guessing now they'll make Conor-Poirier for the title. Not sure if that fight was official yet or not. But it would be the perfect opportunity to kick off the post-Khabib era. Then Gaethje vs the winner - I'd be super excited for either a rematch vs Poirier or Conor-Gaethje.

Gathje needs to pick up another win before he gets another title shot. Because if Ferguson fights Chandler they'll probably give the winner of that fight the next title shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Gathje needs to pick up another win before he gets another title shot. Because if Ferguson fights Chandler they'll probably give the winner of that fight the next title shot. 

Agreed. Winner of Chandler/Tony gets the next shot after Dustin/Conor unless Gaethje can fight Hooker sooner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Agreed. Winner of Chandler/Tony gets the next shot after Dustin/Conor unless Gaethje can fight Hooker sooner

we've never seen candler in the ufc, but i think we saw what kind of fight beats tony now. guys that arent going to get drowned by his pressure and can fight anywhere will be a problem. I think Dustin is a mirror image of the gaethje fight for tony. Heck, i could even see felder or hooker having similar performances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, NYRaider said:

100% Khabib is the GOAT of MMA. He's never even been in trouble or remotely close to losing a fight in his career. IIRC, he only lost 1 round in the UFC. 

I could see him taking some time off, getting the itch to fight again, and taking one more bout. But it definitely wouldn't be against Conor, it'd probably be a catch weight bout against GSP. 

Not even close. At no point in his distinguished career was he even #1 P4P. His inactivity and lack of title defenses in comparison to guys like Jon Jones, Adesanya, Mighty Mouse, keep him from realistically being in goat conversations. Let’s not forget he fought once a year and really only fought one style of fighter the wrestler/boxer combination. I wanted to see Khabib in a match versus an actual Jiu Jitsu guy. I wanted to see Sambo vs Jiu Jitsu in the UFC. We the fans got robbed of that. Phenomenal fighter and perhaps the best 155 of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

goat and best are different

khabib doesn't have enough accolades to be the goat. but he is definitely the most dominant fighter ever and probably the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khabib is the GOAT. Most dominant ever in any sport. 

My fav athlete of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Leoric said:

Not even close. At no point in his distinguished career was he even #1 P4P. His inactivity and lack of title defenses in comparison to guys like Jon Jones, Adesanya, Mighty Mouse, keep him from realistically being in goat conversations. Let’s not forget he fought once a year and really only fought one style of fighter the wrestler/boxer combination. I wanted to see Khabib in a match versus an actual Jiu Jitsu guy. I wanted to see Sambo vs Jiu Jitsu in the UFC. We the fans got robbed of that. Phenomenal fighter and perhaps the best 155 of all time. 

lol @ adesanya being in the goat talks

Jon Jones was a top notch. But he had no competition other than DC and Gustafson. 

He repeatedly got busted for steroids. He had more title defenses because he got a title match earlier. 

If Khabib got a shot six fights ago he woulda had more defenses. Khabib never came close to a loss. Jon Jones lost to Dominick Reyes but the judges gave him the fight 

if you want to see sambo vs bjj then go see Sakuraba vs the Gracies. 

Get outta here with these weak *** arguments 

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

we've never seen candler in the ufc, but i think we saw what kind of fight beats tony now. guys that arent going to get drowned by his pressure and can fight anywhere will be a problem. I think Dustin is a mirror image of the gaethje fight for tony. Heck, i could even see felder or hooker having similar performances. 

We've seen Tony vulnerable before. I'd like to see him fight again without cutting weight twice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

lol @ adesanya being in the goat talks

Jon Jones was a top notch. But he had no competition other than DC and Gustafson. 

He repeatedly got busted for steroids. He had more title defenses because he got a title match earlier. 

If Khabib got a shot six fights ago he woulda had more defenses. Khabib never came close to a loss. Jon Jones lost to Daniel Reyes but the judges gave him the fight 

if you want to see sambo vs bjj then go see Sakuraba vs the Gracies. 

Get outta here with these weak *** arguments 

Not to mention OSP took him to a decision right after he popped for steroids. You can't tell me being on the juice didn't help his earlier performances, because someone that dominant should be able to finish that dude. 

You can't be the GOAT and have been caught cheating (more than once). 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Leoric said:

Not even close. At no point in his distinguished career was he even #1 P4P. His inactivity and lack of title defenses in comparison to guys like Jon Jones, Adesanya, Mighty Mouse, keep him from realistically being in goat conversations. Let’s not forget he fought once a year and really only fought one style of fighter the wrestler/boxer combination. I wanted to see Khabib in a match versus an actual Jiu Jitsu guy. I wanted to see Sambo vs Jiu Jitsu in the UFC. We the fans got robbed of that. Phenomenal fighter and perhaps the best 155 of all time. 

Khabib's the GOAT to me because of the way he won his fights. He beat a ton of top level guys and never at any point in his career was he ever even remotely in trouble of getting finished or losing the fight. Hell, IIRC I think he only ever lost one round in his entire career. He only fought one style of fighter? Dustin Poirier is a very high level black belt in BJJ who has a ton of submissions in his MMA career and is so highly viewed as a grappler that he was supposed to have a BJJ match with Gary Tonon earlier this year, who is widely considered one of the best grapplers on the planet. 

He also absolutely mauled RDA who's a high level black belt in BJJ that won the gold medal at World Jiu Jitsu championship and also medaled at the Brazilian BJJ championship and European BJJ championship. He has never been submitted in MMA and coming into the Khabib fight he had 9 submission victories to his name. Yet Khabib was still able to take him down take him down at will and control him on the mat. After that loss RDA went on to become the LW champ and also fought for the interim WW belt as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

if you want to see sambo vs bjj then go see Sakuraba vs the Gracies. 

If you want to see BJJ vs Sambo watch the Khabib vs RDA fight. RDA is one of the best/most decorated grapplers in MMA history and got bodied. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

We've seen Tony vulnerable before. I'd like to see him fight again without cutting weight twice 

Yeah, Tony usually takes a ton of damage in every fight but is able to break guys with his constant forward pressure and pace. He just came up against an equally tough mofo in Gathje. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

we've never seen candler in the ufc, but i think we saw what kind of fight beats tony now. guys that arent going to get drowned by his pressure and can fight anywhere will be a problem. I think Dustin is a mirror image of the gaethje fight for tony. Heck, i could even see felder or hooker having similar performances. 

I'm interested to see how Chandler looks in the UFC. He wasn't even the champion when he left Bellator. And we also saw him lose twice to Will Brooks, who was the champ in Bellator and then signed with the UFC where he went 1-4 and had losses against Alex Oliveira, Charles Oliveira, and Nik Lentz before he got cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Khabib's the GOAT to me because of the way he won his fights. He beat a ton of top level guys and never at any point in his career was he ever even remotely in trouble of getting finished or losing the fight. Hell, IIRC I think he only ever lost one round in his entire career. He only fought one style of fighter? Dustin Poirier is a very high level black belt in BJJ who has a ton of submissions in his MMA career and is so highly viewed as a grappler that he was supposed to have a BJJ match with Gary Tonon earlier this year, who is widely considered one of the best grapplers on the planet. 

He also absolutely mauled RDA who's a high level black belt in BJJ that won the gold medal at World Jiu Jitsu championship and also medaled at the Brazilian BJJ championship and European BJJ championship. He has never been submitted in MMA and coming into the Khabib fight he had 9 submission victories to his name. Yet Khabib was still able to take him down take him down at will and control him on the mat. After that loss RDA went on to become the LW champ and also fought for the interim WW belt as well. 

So I have more faith in a Jean Jacque Machado>Eddie Bravo>Tony Feguson Black Belt then I do in a Rolls Gracie>Romero Cavalcanti >Rodrigo Medeiros>Tim Creuder. All Black Belts are not equal. That would have been a fun match with Tonon (Who is the third best grappler on his own team). Tonon would have destroyed him just as quickly as Craig Jones did to Rumble Johnson. Grappling is different then UFC. Just being invited to the match doesn't mean you have a chance. The top level grappling guys take the UFC guys because it's a chance to promote the sport where the UFC guys are usually in deep water. Mad props to the guys like Uriah Faber who go out and get schooled by a 17 year old like Nicky Ryan or Roxanne just losing to Silverfox BJJ's Danielle Kelley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...