The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

The Conor act/circus isn't fun anymore quite honestly. Like I know he's still going to draw just based on name alone, but now all that talking doesn't matter if you keep losing and he does that at this point. I never liked him but I was at least entertained by him before, but now it's gotten to the point where he feels almost like a publicity stunt more than anything else.

• Like 2

At the end of the day like Kobe and Jordan, no one will remember the downfall of Conor. Sucked to see him go down like that but at his peak he elevated the sport to another level. DP is a hill billy and his next PPV will have 14 PPV buys, he deserves to make $33 and I pray he breaks his jaw.

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

God damn, I love Dustin Poirier. We both employ the same mentality towards life. Obviously, I'm not a fighter but the whole "control what you can control" mentality is such a huge part to life for me. Helped me grow as a human being.

You're a peahead hill billy as well?

50 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

It’s always funny when fans talk about any pro athlete being a “bum” but it’s especially funny with fighting.

like dude, he could legitimately end your life in under 2 minutes. 

No he couldn't, he's 5'8 150 pounds.

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Personally, the guy is best at 145. He is unstoppable at that division. 155 he sacrifices too much speed and cardio. 145 people forget Conor actually did have cardio, 3 rounds no sweat at all. 

He did have to almost kill himself to make 145 but it would be nice to see him back there again. 

IMO that's the problem.   As long as he's at 155 - his biggest weapon is neutralized.   His stopping power is neutralized at 155.    Add in the fact he gasses out after 2 rounds now....it's not a winning combo. 

Having said that, there's no doubt he's still insanely popular.  BUT, he's going to lose the universal popularity for casual fans to tune in if he keeps losing.   Right now, ppl tune in either because they're on Team Conor, or they want to see him get his *** handed to him.   But he gets mainstream relevance from casual fans because of the aura of greatness.   That aura is definitely losing its lustre.     

Conor's not done - but his ability to bring in the masses is probably now past his peak.   Now, he's still a mega-draw....for now.    But the days of taking him as a serious title contender, and growing the appeal of MMA on his own, is likely done.  He's got more than enough fans to be worth putting on the main event, but it's more going to be settling of grudge matches (Diaz 3, Poirier 4) or gatekeeper than legit title ascension hopes.    He can still be insanely popular as a gatekeeper - but that's his future IMO.   

7 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

How many fights did Conor have at 145 that went the distance? The holloway fight, iirc. But everything else i think he was just knocking people out so I dunno if we got to see his gas tank really tested at that division.

Conor physically should still be a 145er but he'd run into the same problem in that division as well which is guys are just better and more well rounded fighters. Being a KO artist is cool but when that doesn't work, what else do you have? 

Guys are rapidly evolving and are good everywhere. You can't be a part time MMA fighter.

Conor would be the Derrick Lewis of the 145 division.   Death touch risk every time he connects, and pretty much for 1.5 rounds.    At 155, that power doesn't translate.    But at least Conor would have a legit chance in the ring - at 155, he's really just a gatekeeper IMO.   I know Conor fans won't like to admit it publicly, but his history at 155 pretty much screams this right now.

1 hour ago, Pats#1 said:

It’s always funny when fans talk about any pro athlete being a “bum” but it’s especially funny with fighting.

like dude, he could legitimately end your life in under 2 minutes. 

Usually when fans call athletes "bums" or something like that, its relative to other athletes they compete against.

Obviously, almost no fans believe they could be as good as even the absolute worst athlete in any pro sport.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

At the end of the day like Kobe and Jordan, no one will remember the downfall of Conor.

This is incorrect. First off, not that I'm hating on Kobe but since he died so tragically I think that plays more into the narrative from then on how he's remembered. I love Kobe, but I think he's more beloved as a competitor.

The age of social media really controls some of the longstanding narratives.

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)