The MMA Thread | Pereira-Hill to headline UFC 300

beekay414

24 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Two judges gave Poirier a 10-8 in the first round. 😂 Conor was not winning that fight no matter how many mental gymnastics you try to do. He's just lucky now he has an excuse to want a rematch. Another knockout like the last and he would've been finished.

First one to shoot is a dirty b? Conor did it.
Submissions don't count? He jumped the gilly. 

Hell the guy blatently cheated by grabbing Poirier's gloves and pulling him into the upkicks. Dude is just as delusional as some of his fans. 

10-9 Dustin for sure. Definitely not a 10-8.

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Wouldnt it make more sense though that the cardio went because of a change in training or being less focused? You'd think the lower weight to get him to Super Saiyan Crackhead Conor was too much. Idk I'm just speculating but usually guys that move up have better cardio because of less of a cut right?

More muscle mass is always less cardio. No question Conor’s arms started looking like tanks once he decided to not fight at 145 anymore, along with putting on other muscle. 

When he fought at 145, he probably walked around at 170. I bet at 155, he walks around at 180. Too much muscle for his frame. Net 10 pound increase, at least. He’s much bigger in every day life than he was at 145. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Chuck mofuggin Olives is gonna wipe the floor with Dustin. Sorry boys. 

Maybe....you like to stick your neck out when it comes to fights.  I can respect that.  You don't seem to be right usually, but at least you have conviction.

I lean Porier in that fight, but Olivera has been on a roll, and could win for sure.

I think the point was that Conor didn't appear that he would go on to win the fight, regardless of the injury.  Sure it was probably a 10-9 rd, but 2 of the judges didn't see it that way, and Conor probably wasn't going to win a decision.

4 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Maybe....you like to stick your neck out when it comes to fights.  I can respect that.  You don't seem to be right usually, but at least you have conviction.

I lean Porier in that fight, but Olivera has been on a roll, and could win for sure.

I think the point was that Conor didn't appear that he would go on to win the fight, regardless of the injury.  Sure it was probably a 10-9 rd, but 2 of the judges didn't see it that way, and Conor probably wasn't going to win a decision.

No way that was a 10-8 round. Like, no way at all. Conor was on the offensive the first couple minutes controlling the fight and landing more shots. And he had a guillotine choke on the ground for a bit. Not to mention, the fight was never in danger of being stopped. Conor was intelligently defending himself the entire time until he broke his ankle/leg. 

Dustin clearly won the round. However, it was clearly a 10-9. 

7 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I get wishful thinking with stories I like and fighter styles I like and Chuck fits all the bills for me. Love watching him. 

I think if he can't get Dustin down he's realistically going to get finished on the feet. Lucky the ref didn't stop Chandler in the first when he went down to his knees.

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

More muscle mass is always less cardio. No question Conor’s arms started looking like tanks once he decided to not fight at 145 anymore, along with putting on other muscle. 

When he fought at 145, he probably walked around at 170. I bet at 155, he walks around at 180. Too much muscle for his frame. Net 10 pound increase, at least. He’s much bigger in every day life than he was at 145. 

If Conor wanted to be he could be the greatest 145 of all time but he couldn't take the weight cut anymore.

1 minute ago, BullsandBroncos said:

If Conor wanted to be he could be the greatest 145 of all time but he couldn't take the weight cut anymore.

Could of been one of the best P4P ever actually if he stayed at that weight. Hollaway would have never beat Conor, nor would have Frankie Edgar. Conor’s skillset is a nightmare for both of them. Aldo would of been interesting again if he focused on the ground, but likely another Conor win. I also think Conor would of destroyed the current champ Volkan with not much effort. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Could of been one of the best P4P ever actually if he stayed at that weight. Hollaway would have never beat Conor, nor would have Frankie Edgar. Conor’s skillset is a nightmare for both of them. Aldo would of been interesting again if he focused on the ground, but likely another Conor win. I also think Conor would of destroyed the current champ Volkan with not much effort. 

Volkan would be his biggest threat I think. So extremely well rounded.

Am i the only one who wants Olivera to retain against Dustin just so conor can stay far away from the title.

If conor is gonna fight again id rather it be vs Ferguson since both are considered to be on the downhill slope of their careers.

6 minutes ago, djw4bucs said:

Am i the only one who wants Olivera to retain against Dustin just so conor can stay far away from the title.

If conor is gonna fight again id rather it be vs Ferguson since both are considered to be on the downhill slope of their careers.

Tony is one hard punch away from a Bellator contract.

20 minutes ago, djw4bucs said:

Ehh not sure I’d say Conor is on a “downslope”. He’s always been a borderline Top 7-8 LW and not dominant like he was at FW. Conor is still competitive in all his fights. Tony seems to lose every second of every fight lately. 

Edited by BayRaider

Conor is definitely done being any sort of meaningful contender, and has been for a while. That's being generous too. 

It's incredibly(almost impossibly) hard to have sustained success at the championship level in MMA. Which is why so few people do, especially at the lighter weights where talent is replenished more frequently and the skill level is higher. 

McGregor wasn't some phenom of an athlete, in fact I'd call his athleticism for the sport just slightly above average. In his prime he dominated through special timing with his strikes, spatial awareness, fluid movement, a granite chin, and overwhelming composure in high pressure situations/fights.

Frankly his movement hasn't been at it's peak and has only regressed since he blew out his ACL in his first fight with Holloway in 2013. He just didn't move the same after that. Which is the norm for athletes, especially ones that weren't elite to begin with. His cardio has only declined as he's danced around the weight classes and been less hungry/committed to the sport, it's also easy to deduce that he never had a high end gas tank to begin with. His chin which could typically freely eat shots before, was cracked in the first Nate fight. And cracked chins only get worse- not better. Lackluster cardio then exacerbate issues with your chin. Still, when he strolled in to fight Eddie Alvarez he was a top P4P fighter. There's no debate about that. The McGregor that steamrolled Eddie and became the first simultaneous 2 Weight Champ was the last time we'd be treated to any semblance of peak Conor. He conquered the game, went for the mega money against Floyd acquitting himself better than people anticipated in the boxing bout, reaped cash with his whiskey business- and that was kind of it... That's where the McGregor movie ends.

He's looked completely different in all of his fights since then, and it's not a mystery as to why. He doesn't take it as seriously, doesn't care as much, and physically just doesn't have it anymore. He's 33 Y/O and doesn't have the right mental state or physical capabilities to function in the sport the way he did previously. None of this is complicated. 

McGregor was a gift to MMA, love him, hate him, or just indifferent to him. A shooting star/tsunami wave type talent that changed the sport in endless ways. It's done though.

In the end I think his loyalty to his original coach, self destructive tendencies/personality, and non ideal(for the sport) priorities hurt what his ultimate ceiling could have been as a fighter. Conor was a conqueror, he was only interested in that next big conquest and couldn't commit to anything beyond it. For the GoT/ASOIAF fans out there Robert Baratheon is a good comparison. 

Now he's just a businessman and actor playing at who Conor McGregor was before. Willing to embarrass himself repeatedly to keep his brand relevant and big money purses supplementing his already vast fortune. I mean for the most part, his natural charisma is all gone, his in ring/fighting ability is gone, and his time in the sport is way past done. Denying this gets you what you saw, a man with a broken ankle ranting from the floor of the octagon.

It's hard to predict what his true bottom will end up being, but it's likely going to be crazy ugly.

• Like 4