The MMA Thread | Pereira-Hill to headline UFC 300

beekay414

27 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Leon winning gives him the ranked win he needs to justify the title shot. I think it might even look better by the time the fight would happen as I assume Wonderboy and the loser of Chiesa/Luque will move down, thereby giving the UFC a reason to move Masvidal up the ranks by default to help sell the fight (like, he may be #5 instead of #7).

From UFC perspective, Masvidal is clearly more marketable than Edwards, so if Masvidal wins, it gives him a big win over the #3 ranked guy and keeps him relevant going forward. I think Edwards > Colby > and MAYBE one more gets Masvidal a third crack at the belt, even if Usman is still champ.

Masvidal would have to do some devastatingly impressive things to get a 3rd crack at Usman. Like what he did to Ben except faster

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

UFC hates Leon and wants him to get one more win. If I'm Edwards I would be trying to get the Masvidal fight over a potential match up with Burns. Built in storyline w Jorge and stylistically a more favorable fight. 

Leon is 13-1-1 in his last 15 UFC fights and isn't close to a title fight due to the eye poke in his main event fight and because he got wobbled by Nate despite dominating the fight. He should run it back with Belal. 

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Masvidal would have to do some devastatingly impressive things to get a 3rd crack at Usman. Like what he did to Ben except faster

Masvidal will be 37 this year and is 3-4 in his last 7 fights, he'll never get another title shot unless Colby has the belt. 

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

So you're telling me a guy who hasn't won a fight in 10 years is facing a guy who has won once in the last 5 years (vs. a guy who hasn't won in his last 6 fights btw)? Where do I sign up?

How Dare You Greta GIF

This one is for the OGs!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Can't help feeling like Diaz-Lawler is going to end up being a huge disappointment.

Lawler's been on a clear downward slide, and Diaz hasn't fought in 30 years. Could see this being two guys barely engaging over 25 minutes.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I don't think Nick is the type to not engage. ****, he laid on the mat when Silva wasn't engaging enough lol. I'm not worried. I'm a Nick Diaz stan tho so maybe don't listen to me.

2 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Can't help feeling like Diaz-Lawler is going to end up being a huge disappointment.

Lawler's been on a clear downward slide, and Diaz hasn't fought in 30 years. Could see this being two guys barely engaging over 25 minutes.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

A few years ago, bring this fight on. Now though, it just feels like the only enjoyment I’m gonna get out of this fight is the nostalgia trip from the video package they put together. Lawler might be my all time favorite fighter, but he’s toast. I don’t even know what you could want to expect in actual performance from Nick at this point.

It’s not Shamrock vs Kimbo, but it feels closer to that than an actual compelling fight. 

17 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Given the way Lawler just didnt throw much at all in his last few performances, if he maintains that, at the very least it gives Diaz an opportunity to look good if he goes forward the whole time. I dont expect it to be a barn burner but unless something changes in Lawler, I expect Diaz to win

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Careful what you wish for...first the Venezuelan Vixen will find that out vs Nunes and then Murphy

Murphy has zero chance....

I wouldn't sleep on Peña.  Amanda's tdd better be on point.  I get that she has a submission game too, but I think that Peña has just enough of a chin, that she can withstand some punishment, in order to get the fight to the mat.  It's whether or not, her gnp can overcome the jits.

5 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Murphy has zero chance....

I wouldn't sleep on Peña.  Amanda's tdd better be on point.  I get that she has a submission game too, but I think that Peña has just enough of a chin, that she can withstand some punishment, in order to get the fight to the mat.  It's whether or not, her gnp can overcome the jits.

Eh, I think Pena's going to get straight up outclassed on the feet. She's too damn slow in her striking to even get in on Amanda IMO.