The MMA Thread | Pereira-Hill to headline UFC 300

beekay414

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They should've done Colby vs Edwards for the #1 contender spot. Edwards is 11-1 in his last 12 with his only loss coming to Usman, Colby is 9-1 in his last 10 with his only loss coming to Usman as well. 

Edwards is on a 9 fight winning streak and hasn't lost since 2015, which was a decision against Usman. But he definitely screwed himself with the eye poke and despite dominating Nate him getting wobbled late probably cost him a title shot. Nate doesn't lose fights, he just runs out of time, lol. 

The UFC giving Masvidal an immediate rematch without a win in between slowed up the division. 

Colby hasn't been active but who else would they really give the title shot too? Burns is #2 but just lost to Usman, Edwards is #3 but his last two fights kinda screwed his stock, Wonderboy is #4 but he's coming off of a loss, Chiesa/Luque are #5/#6 but they're fighting next month, and Masvidal is #7 but is coming off of back to back losses to Usman. 

IIRC Colby was up on the judges score cards heading into the 5th round. And with Conor out for the foreseeable future, the UFC needs to put on fights that can maximize PPV sales. Colby is cringe but at least you know he'll promote the fight and stir the pot a ton to get fans interested.

The eye poke sucked but thats more bad luck than screwing himself

Also, is Colby a draw?...yes he is controversial but his PPV #s never were much right?

I had the first one 2-2 going into the 5th. 

I do think it should be Leon v Colby as the #1 contender but then Usman is shelved for too long. Burns didnt do enough to earn it a #1 contender spot. 

Leon v Colby was the fight to make when Leon fought Diaz, I just dont know why that never happened unless Colby just was avoiding at all costs

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I like Rob but I think the fight will be pretty similar to the first one. Izzy's kind of like Conor in the sense that he's more of an accurate puncher than a power puncher which is why he has really only been able to KO guys that he had a significant size advantage over. 

I think the Colby/Usman fight will be entertaining, Colby has the cardio to push the pace and we haven't really seen him fight much since Usman so maybe his striking will be a little cleaner. As we see in most bouts where both guys have strong wrestling and/or grappling I think it'll be another striking match. In Usman's 3 title fights against Masvidal/Woodley he secured 7 TD and in his 2 title fights against Burns/Colby he had 0. And after seeing what he just did to Burns/Masvidal on the feet, I think he'll probably finish Colby. But I could also foresee a scenario where he comes in aggressive, over extends, and gets clipped. 

Does Colby have the power to clip anyone though?

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The eye poke sucked but thats more bad luck than screwing himself

Also, is Colby a draw?...yes he is controversial but his PPV #s never were much right?

I had the first one 2-2 going into the 5th. 

I do think it should be Leon v Colby as the #1 contender but then Usman is shelved for too long. Burns didnt do enough to earn it a #1 contender spot. 

Leon v Colby was the fight to make when Leon fought Diaz, I just dont know why that never happened unless Colby just was avoiding at all costs

I just think Leon had two opportunities to separate himself as the #1 contender and failed to do so. The first being the main event that ended with an eye poke and the second being a part of the first non-title/main event 5 round fight and being unable to put Nate away. Him getting wobbled was the biggest and most memorable moment of the fight. 

One ref had Usman up, one had Colby up, and the other had it tied going into the 5th. 

Colby isn't a huge draw, unfortunately they never released 245's buy rates. But Usman has become a pretty decent draw himself, his first fight against Masvidal did 1.3M buys, his fight against Burns did 500k buys, and his second fight against Masvidal did 700k buys. I think Colby will create enough drama and promote the fight enough that it will at least eclipse the Burns #'s. 

Yeah, Burns needs another win or two before he deserves a rematch. 

Colby went the Woodley route and chose to sit out and wait for a title shot over fighting and risking losing his place in line. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I just think Leon had two opportunities to separate himself as the #1 contender and failed to do so. The first being the main event that ended with an eye poke and the second being a part of the first non-title/main event 5 round fight and being unable to put Nate away. Him getting wobbled was the biggest and most memorable moment of the fight. 

One ref had Usman up, one had Colby up, and the other had it tied going into the 5th. 

Colby isn't a huge draw, unfortunately they never released 245's buy rates. But Usman has become a pretty decent draw himself, his first fight against Masvidal did 1.3M buys, his fight against Burns did 500k buys, and his second fight against Masvidal did 700k buys. I think Colby will create enough drama and promote the fight enough that it will at least eclipse the Burns #'s. 

Yeah, Burns needs another win or two before he deserves a rematch. 

Colby went the Woodley route and chose to sit out and wait for a title shot over fighting and risking losing his place in line. 

Its foolish to expect Leon to finish Nate and treat him like a failure that he didnt. However, you are right that the most memorable part was him getting rocked, that wasnt a good look

Despite his flaws, Diaz has lost 3 fights by finish, 1 sub which never would come for Leon, 1 Doctor Stoppage v Masvidal and the Thomson head kick. 

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

4 oz gloves baby. Burns isn't known as a KO artist and he was able to drop Usman with a right hand early in their fight. 

Actually Burns at 170 is known to have very heavy hands. But im with you otherwise, colby can absolutely drop someone.

33 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its foolish to expect Leon to finish Nate and treat him like a failure that he didnt. However, you are right that the most memorable part was him getting rocked, that wasnt a good look

Despite his flaws, Diaz has lost 3 fights by finish, 1 sub which never would come for Leon, 1 Doctor Stoppage v Masvidal and the Thomson head kick. 

Masvidal said it best in regards to Leon, hes very skilled but hes not a fighter. He played within the rules of the sport and certainly beat Diaz, but that wasnt a good performance. Diaz should have been outclassed, yet he wasnt. Its why Leons not getting a title shot (most likely) for his next fight, they both have to agree to it of course but Im pretty sure Dana has already said Masvidal v Leon makes the most sense. Pretty confident Masvidal knocks him out too.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Masvidal said it best in regards to Leon, hes very skilled but hes not a fighter. He played within the rules of the sport and certainly beat Diaz, but that wasnt a good performance. Diaz should have been outclassed, yet he wasnt. Its why Leons not getting a title shot (most likely) for his next fight, they both have to agree to it of course but Im pretty sure Dana has already said Masvidal v Leon makes the most sense. Pretty confident Masvidal knocks him out too.

Yeah to me Masvidal makes the most sense as Edwards next opponent if he wants to stay busy. Already a built in storyline there,Jorge still has a relatively big name, and Masvidal stylistically is more favorable for Leon then a guy like Gilbert, who can take you down and stall or submit you.

If they could somehow get Masvidal v Edwards as a comain for Usman/Covngton 2, take my money please.

Imagine a 4 person press conference between them lol would be epic. 

8 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Wasnt Diaz outclassed for 24 minutes?

Don’t get me wrong the last minute was significant though right 

On 7/28/2021 at 4:48 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Wasnt Diaz outclassed for 24 minutes?

Don’t get me wrong the last minute was significant though right 

Oh for sure, it was painful to watch him point at Leon instead of finishing him which is exactly what could've happened. 

Woulda Coulda Shoulda