The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

On 2/2/2022 at 8:21 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Gross. I hope he gets pounded by Yan

Apparently he's coming back at 145, or wants to at least. Incredibly easy to see that his motivation is to be the first 3 division champ- even if he doesn't admit it.

It's not impossible, and there will be 100% a 3 division champ at some point. Just extremely doubtful that it'll be 35+ year old Henry Cejudo.

13 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Apparently he's coming back at 145, or wants to at least. Incredibly easy to see that his motivation is to be the first 3 division champ- even if he doesn't admit it.

It's not impossible, and there will be 100% a 3 division champ at some point. Just extremely doubtful that it'll be 35+ year old Henry Cejudo.

He isn't good enough to stand up with any of the top 5 guys at 145 imo. Good luck to him.

11 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

He isn't good enough to stand up with any of the top 5 guys at 145 imo. Good luck to him.

I think it's a win win for him though. His legacy is in no way hurt by a loss at 145 and by moving up he gets to avoid Petr... Win Win.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I doubt that he can do it...but I think it would be INCREDIBLY difficult for anyone to do it and he already has 2 of the 3 needed whereas most others cant say that. Realistically who could get 3 belts? No one at HW, anyone at LHW cant make MW and then win at HW

Love him or hate him, I think he'd be my #1 candidate to take home 3 belts

8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I doubt that he can do it...but I think it would be INCREDIBLY difficult for anyone to do it and he already has 2 of the 3 needed whereas most others cant say that. Realistically who could get 3 belts? No one at HW, anyone at LHW cant make MW and then win at HW

I really think it will be done soon enough. All it would take is a younger fighter with a dominant trait and strong physical attributes growing into their frame over the years and getting the right opportunity. 

I mean look at prime Conor. Flatlined two champs with almost 0 difficulty. All it would've taken for 3 belts at the time was him choosing Woodley/Lawler over Mayweather, and capitalizing if/when Tyron/Lawler stood with him. Then you had a guy like GSP. He's said multiple times that he could get down to 155, and I don't think anyone would doubt his ability to win a championship down there. Obviously he dominated 170, and then cherry picked the 185 belt off a weak champion. That's the kind of opportunity that will present itself over time though. Fat azzes like Cormier and Fedor could've gotten skinny then climbed back up.

Plus there's always the likely scenario that extra weight classes emerge. 165, 225, etc etc. That's one of the main reasons I think it will happen. 

IDK, I really don't view it as some impossible task. Looking back over history there's a lot guys imo who had the potential/ability to be 3 weight champs. Aldo, Jones, GSP, McGregor, Silva, Penn, etc etc. 

16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I really think it will be done soon enough. All it would take is a younger fighter with a dominant trait and strong physical attributes growing into their frame over the years and getting the right opportunity. 

I mean look at prime Conor. Flatlined two champs with almost 0 difficulty. All it would've taken for 3 belts at the time was him choosing Woodley/Lawler over Mayweather, and capitalizing if/when Tyron/Lawler stood with him. Then you had a guy like GSP. He's said multiple times that he could get down to 155, and I don't think anyone would doubt his ability to win a championship down there. Obviously he dominated 170, and then cherry picked the 185 belt off a weak champion. That's the kind of opportunity that will present itself over time though. Fat azzes like Cormier and Fedor could've gotten skinny then climbed back up.

Plus there's always the likely scenario that extra weight classes emerge. 165, 225, etc etc. That's one of the main reasons I think it will happen. 

IDK, I really don't view it as some impossible task. Looking back over history there's a lot guys imo who had the potential/ability to be 3 weight champs. Aldo, Jones, GSP, McGregor, Silva, Penn, etc etc. 

I know it CAN be done but who is tough if not Cejudo. I know Conor could’ve gone to 170 but idk if he would’ve won the belt. GSP at 155 seems like a stretch, not sure how he’d get there safely 

if several weight classes emerge then it becomes much easier 

On 2/4/2022 at 1:11 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Khamzat. He's got the size to do it at 170, 185 and 205. He won't but he's the type of build and style that could make it happen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Khamzat. He's got the size to do it at 170, 185 and 205. He won't but he's the type of build and style that could make it happen.

Thats not a bad current example. 170 & 185 sure, 205 seems crazy to mean but the dude can wrestle and is strong as hell. Could see it happen if he faced a pure striker at 205

Was funny watching Strickland get all buck the last 15 seconds of a fight he was just coasting for the most part. He's pretty good, but his whole persona of kill or be killed, trade with reckless abandon is fake lol.

Dude is a measured technician with good boxing skills. Good defensive fighter. Kind of a boring watch. He doesn't deserve a TS imo, I would like to see him fight Vettori or Costa next if Paulo is still a MW. 

• Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)