The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

On 5/24/2022 at 7:28 AM, beekay414 said:

Still attest that Poirier finishes that choke if they're not fighting in the desert with no friggin' A/C.

Nah, I don't think so.

Just watched it again to see how it went. Think there were a few things at play for Khabib to escape.

• It was the arm-in guillotine, which gives more control but is a little harder to finish
  • Khabib stayed calm and did everything perfect to defend it
  • Poirier was gassed from throwing hard strikes and defending the wrestling. You saw at the end of the 2nd round, and the start of the 3rd, Poirier was breathing heavy and looking tired.
  • On that point, the arm-in guillotine really needs you to squeeze rather than using leverage, and I think he didn't have the squeeze in his arms.

He didn't really get out by slipping out. I mean, he did at the end, but it had already been in for a while, that was a normal length of time for the head to be able to slip out.

To be fair it was a really good attempt from Poirier, and Khabib was definitely in a bit of trouble. A lesser grappler, he might have tapped him. But there were a few small things that weren't perfect, and Khabib's defense was perfect.

• Like 3

On 5/24/2022 at 11:52 PM, beekay414 said:

He was definitely compromised but, the one thing I remember, was that Dustin didn't have both hips down on the mat for most of the choke. The choke was in tight but Dustin couldn't get max leverage on it and the temp in the arena allowed Khabib to just slip out of it.

His position was kind of in the position he needed to finish if it was the no-arm (or high elbow) guillotine. For the arm-in, I think he wanted his shoulders on the mat like you said. But still, it requires you to squeeze, and it's also easier for a really good grappler to gut it out and defend.

Arm-in guillotine you can kind of stick your head down and your a$$ up in the air and survive, unless there's an insane squeeze on.

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Are Stipe and Jon Jones going to fight?

Supposed to allegedly fight at the end of the summer. I would imagine they would make that an interim title fight and Aspinall/Tuivasa/Blaydes would have to wait longer 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

On 5/27/2022 at 6:58 PM, JonStark said:

It really is. I'm committed at this point but I don't see anyone so far that will be anything special. They have all been decisions so far right? 

Right all decisions and none of the 8 fighters seems remotely close to being worthy of winning the finale

On 5/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, BayRaider said:

Yes most likely, the whole card was leaked a while ago. 

That board isn't official, Jones wanted it to be in July but Stipe said he won't be ready until the fall so they're aiming for September 24.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:33 PM, Buckrock101 said:

damn, why no one told me that freaking Evloev is fighting Dan Ige in the co-main event next week. That's a b-b-b-b-banger. Should be the main event really, but for some reason the UFC thinks we like seeing 5 round heavyweight fights.

Yea i mean at least Volkov has cardio but I expect a 5 round technical display by Drago. So because i bet that it’ll be Rozenstruik by KO lol

3 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

How would you guys see a Volk vs Chuck fight going?

Complete toss up, but I think Volk would be smart enough to stay away and strike from a distance (even if the reach would hurt him). He seems really disciplined in his gameplan and I can't see him getting in a brawl or a ground match with Olives. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)