The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

17 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Are you ignoring what I said or intentionally misrepresenting it? I figured t care about losses wonderboy had 3 years ago, period. Wonderboy has been facing elite competition, loses will happen. Those two prospects that wonderboy beat would easily be Edwards best two wins on his resume. Luque is significantly better now than he was when he fought Leon.

I mean, I don't know what to say here. One of these prospects IS  literally on his resume lol. Because he's subjectively gotten better in the last two years, Edwards couldn't have? Man, this feels like a real stretch to me.

Which means Geoff Neal is SUCH a better win than RDA, Diaz, Tumenov, Cerrone (or if you were being SUPER generous Belal as he was clearly beating him prior to the poke), that we just ignore wins and losses (and ranking)?

Again, I'm truly not trying to be argumentative, I just have to agree to disagree with this logic homie. 

16 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

lastly, I’m sure you agree that burns deserves a shot before Leon if he beats wonderboy?

Conversely, should Masvidal get a shot over Leon if he beats Geoff Neal?

28 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I mean, I don't know what to say here. One of these prospects IS  literally on his resume lol. Because he's subjectively gotten better in the last two years, Edwards couldn't have? Man, this feels like a real stretch to me.

Which means Geoff Neal is SUCH a better win than RDA, Diaz, Tumenov, Cerrone (or if you were being SUPER generous Belal as he was clearly beating him prior to the poke), that we just ignore wins and losses (and ranking)?

Again, I'm truly not trying to be argumentative, I just have to agree to disagree with this logic homie. 

Conversely, should Masvidal get a shot over Leon if he beats Geoff Neal?

I just want to be clear, are you disagreeing that Luque hasn’t improved over the last 3 years. Sure that’s subjective, but it’s almost universally agreed upon. Luque in 2017 is a vastly different fighter than the one in 2019. And yes, Geoff Neal has a better than anyone Edwards has beaten, as is 2019 Luque. The fact that you’re putting one round vs belal is absolutely laughable.

and it doesn’t matter if Edwards has gotten better, that’s a total straw man. The subject was best wins on the resume, not has Edwards gotten better. 

and masvidal isn’t in the same situation, is he? He already got two shots and lost both. Now can we address why you avoided answering the simple question?

Edited by GSUeagles14

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

I just want to be clear, are you disagreeing that Luque hasn’t improved over the last 3 years. Sure that’s subjective, but it’s almost universally agreed upon. Luque in 2017 is a vastly different fighter than the one in 2019. And yes, Geoff Neal has a better than anyone Edwards has beaten, as is 2019 Luque. The fact that you’re putting one round vs belal is absolutely laughable.

I'm suggesting that neither decisioning Geoff Neal nor "The difference in improvement in 2.5 years of Luque" is more deserving than a 9-10 undefeated streak of any UFC fighters, much less Edwards exact resume.

and it doesn’t matter if Edwards has gotten better, that’s a total straw man. The subject was best wins on the resume, not has Edwards gotten better. 

My point being that if Edwards beat him two and a half years ago, there is nothing suggesting he couldn't do the same today, so i'm not convinced that Wonderboy beating an "improved" version really matters all that much. 

and masvidal isn’t in the same situation, is he? He already got two shots and lost both. Now can we address why you avoided answering the simple question?

But Thompson has already got two shots and lost both, lol.

Of course Burns shouldn't get a rematch with Usman over Leon after beating a .500 fighter over the last 5 years. I understand you are saying this to point out that he is #2 and we would be jumping rankings, but in this case - resume (and more relevantly, recency since Burns was just recently KO'd) is obviously the difference. 

45 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm suggesting that neither decisioning Geoff Neal nor "The difference in improvement in 2.5 years of Luque" is more deserving than a 9-10 undefeated streak of any UFC fighters, much less Edwards exact resume.

My point being that if Edwards beat him two and a half years ago, there is nothing suggesting he couldn't do the same today, so i'm not convinced that Wonderboy beating an "improved" version really matters all that much. 

But Thompson has already got two shots and lost both, lol.

Of course Burns shouldn't get a rematch with Usman over Leon after beating a .500 fighter over the last 5 years. I understand you are saying this to point out that he is #2 and we would be jumping rankings, but in this case - resume (and more relevantly, recency since Burns was just recently KO'd) is obviously the difference. 

And im saying quality of opponent matters. its just a difference of opinion yet you insist on saying the logic is off. 

Maybe, maybe not. Theres no reason to assume Edwards would beat Luque, would be a really good fight to make if Luque beats Chiesa though. in fact, if luque finishes chiesa i think he absolutely should get the next shot.

And your Thompson comment makes zero sense. Care to explain?

Lastly, Diaz is sub .500 over the last 5 years. but i guess that doesnt matter, not does the integrity of the rankings.

19 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

If you don't think Usman is ducking Colby, than yes, anyone on this planet that doesn't think that is delusional.

He is absolutely not ducking a guy he already beat. Masvidal got one because their fight went to a decision and was taken on short notice. Colby was finished. Cmon man.

He may not want to reward him another title shot after only beating a washed up Woodley back in September 2020, but saying Usman is ducking anyone is comical. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

He is absolutely not ducking a guy he already beat. Masvidal got one because their fight went to a decision and was taken on short notice. Colby was finished. Cmon man.

He may not want to reward him another title shot after only beating a washed up Woodley back in September 2020, but saying Usman is ducking anyone is comical. 

Ok, denying colby a rematch, the guy that was closest to beating him, in order to a fight a #7 ranked contender that nobody wants to see him fight isn't ducking. Ok.

10 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

i get that big nog got dropped on his head by sapp and ****, but it's weird how people talk about that fight and don't really mention this one as much just in terms of freak show fights. or maybe it's just me that missed this one 

41 seconds in made me o_O

7 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Ok, denying colby a rematch, the guy that was closest to beating him, in order to a fight a #7 ranked contender that nobody wants to see him fight isn't ducking. Ok.

Some champions want to clean out the division. There was a question about whether or not Masvidal was ready (not from me), so he wanted to confirm that.

I think Colby is next in line right now, but he's not the clear cut #1 contender after winning one fight against Woodley after getting finished by Usman. Honestly I think Wonderboy is more deserving if he gets by Burns.

On 6/15/2021 at 1:04 PM, FinneasGage said:

give us chimaev vs leon

I think Masvidal vs Leon is the fight to make. They have a history and a win over the other would be huge for both. Do Usman vs Colby next, if Leon wins then he gets the title shot. And in the scenario that Masvidal wins you can give him Colby next, either for the belt or just as a big non-title fight. 

In the case that Masvidal beats Leon and Usman beats Colby again, I don't really think you do the trilogy. But there are still some interesting fights for Usman including the winner of one of the Burns/Wonderboy fight and Luque vs Chiesa fight. 

@FinneasGage Chimaev vs Nick Diaz would be a fun one but he has already expressed that he's not interested in that fight. I think Chimaev vs Belal Muhammad would make a ton of sense. Belal said he's interested in a main event fight and I think you could definitely have that as the main event on a fight night card. If Belal gets a win it'd be great exposure for him and if Chimaev wins then he's in the mix near the top of the division. 

19 hours ago, JonStark said:

Masvidal got one because their fight went to a decision and was taken on short notice. Colby was finished. Cmon man.

Masvidal got the fight because the first one did over 1M PPV buys and Usman called him out after the fight, all parties wanted the rematch simply because of the potential sales/money to be made. Especially because Masvidal took the fight on short notice so people were intrigued to see if a full camp would make a difference. Masvidal has to be the only guy in UFC history to lose his first title fight, not fight again, and then get a rematch against the champion that already beat him. 

On 6/15/2021 at 7:00 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Either Nate vs Jorge or Nick vs Jorge while Nate fights 1 of Conor/Dustin

Nate said that he wants to fight again in the next 3 or 4 months. If he's staying at welterweight, Damian Maia just publicly said that he wants his last fight to be Nate. Masvidal two also makes sense but I think Masvidal should fight Edwards next. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)