The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

10 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

This is incorrect. First off, not that I'm hating on Kobe but since he died so tragically I think that plays more into the narrative from then on how he's remembered. I love Kobe, but I think he's more beloved as a competitor.

The age of social media really controls some of the longstanding narratives.

Conor McGregor elevated the sport like no other athlete has ever elevated any sport in history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Can Colin McGregor  finally just go away now? 

Hopefully so the UFC loses the ESPN deal soon, no one wants that B-Level sport on TV. Go back to Fox Sports 2 after this contract is done cause they're selling zero PPV.

Just now, Oregon Ducks said:

No

Yes. Fox Sports 1 didn't even want to give the UFC half of what they wanted for their new TV deal. ESPN paid them more once Conor started winning. They bought the company for $2M and were able to sell it for $4B. The 8 highest selling PPV's of all time are all Conor fights. 

There have only been 11 UFC PPV's to do 1M+ buys without Conor on the card and 7 of those cards had either Brock Lesnar or Ronda Rousey headlining. In the last 10 years the only 2 PPV to do 1M+ without Conor, Lesnar, or Rousey are Silva/Weidman 2 and Usman/Masvidal. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I don't think Conor cares as much, he's by far the highest paid athlete in the world. 

A) That's this year alone and it's attributed more to that whiskey than anything.
B) Conor spends gaudy amounts of money.
C) Every loss hurts his lasting power.

58 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

I truly don't understand the love for any of those three dudes. I can't stand any of them lol. 

Their appeal is linked to their label.   They are  “guys off the street” and willing to brawl.   Full machismo.  Marketed as fighters the common working man can identify as “one of us”.   

At least Diaz shows durability.  But yeah the label far outstrips the skill set at this stage.  

Edited by Broncofan

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Ref shouldn’t of stopped that… any people who bet O Malley by Decision (most popular non Main Event bet on the entire card, tons of $$$ on O Malley by decision) should be absolutely furious…. 

Anyways, glad O Malley won. Pure beast. Absolutely monster of a technician. 

Yea i agree 100%. I had Suga KO in alot of parlays but even still I couldn’t believe he stopped it

13 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

mma gods found a way to get Conor in a title fight.

-Dustin fights Oliveira next

-Dustin wins

-They make the quadrilogy

I'm sure it happens that way but man it just bugs me the way Conor wont earn that fight. Probably fights like Diaz at WW before fighting for the LW title again 

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I will leave food for thought that Tom Brady went 10 years without winning a Super Bowl and then eclipsed 4 more, more than his previous 3. 

Obviously team sports and tons of differences but you get the point. Hopefully Conor comes back and is more focused than ever. Although, I don’t have my hopes up. 

Personally, the guy is best at 145. He is unstoppable at that division. 155 he sacrifices too much speed and cardio. 145 people forget Conor actually did have cardio, 3 rounds no sweat at all. 

He did have to almost kill himself to make 145 but it would be nice to see him back there again. 

Wouldnt it make more sense though that the cardio went because of a change in training or being less focused? You'd think the lower weight to get him to Super Saiyan Crackhead Conor was too much. Idk I'm just speculating but usually guys that move up have better cardio because of less of a cut right?

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)