The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Gane is a preview of what Jones would be at Heavyweight and, so far, no true Heavyweights have an answer.

I disagree. Gane's striking is next level at heavyweight, he outclassed Lewis on the feet tonight and is undefeated in Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, and MMA. He's a world class striker. I think Jones can be successful against heavyweights but he'd likely have to take a a much heavier wrestling/grappling approach against top tier HWs, which he is definitely capable of doing. 

• Like 1

Jones is the same caliber of athlete as Gane. Gane also has 4 finishes in 10 fights. Let's not pretend he has world stopper power.

The type of athlete that Gane/Jones are, are a problem for traditional heavyweights. There's no questioning that.

Gane also has 9 KO's in 13 kick boxing bouts. He doesn't have world stopping power but he's clearly an elite striker and has a high fight IQ, I'd say one of the main reasons he doesn't have more KO's is because he doesn't get baited into fire fights with other heavy weights. 

Jones has 2 KO's in the last 10 years and they came against Chael Sonnen and Alexander Gustaffason. 

I agree that they're both problems for traditional heavy weights but for different reasons. Gane is a problem because of his ability to control range and high level striking ability. While Jones is a problem because of his grappling and cardio. Neither guy is going to stand and trade with guys that have 1 punch KO power, I just think they'd take a much different approach.

Jon may never actually win HW gold but he's going to get there and be a contender/threat rather quickly.

Of any fighter on the roster I think Jones probably has the best chance to beat Francis if he can implement a similar strategy to what Stipe used during their first fight. 

Heavyweights can't handle the leg kicks and the movement of a Gane and what exactly does Jones do? Yeah. Thanks. 

Jones is going to be a problem at Heavyweight and there's really nothing to argue against it. 

My only thing with Jones now is I just want to see him fight at HW to see how he carries the weight and if it changes how he fights

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I disagree. Gane's striking is next level at heavyweight, he outclassed Lewis on the feet tonight and is undefeated in Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, and MMA. He's a world class striker. I think Jones can be successful against heavyweights but he'd likely have to take a a much heavier wrestling/grappling approach against top tier HWs, which he is definitely capable of doing. 

No disrespect to Lewis but outclassing him on the feet is just what Volkov did too for 14:50 on their fight. Lewis is all or nothing on that 1 punch 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)