The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

19 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Strickland probably needs 2 more wins assuming he beats Rockhold

Rockhold + 2 more wins? I mean maybe as a result of waiting for Izzy-Knuckles 2 and the Cannonier-Brunson winner but if he beats Rockhold and then outclasses the Costa-Vettori winner, he's right there. I don't think you risk Strickland with Till and Hermansson if he beats Luke, nor do I think you risk him with the Brunson-Cannonier loser. He beats Rockhold and Costa-Vettori winner, that's 7 straight overall, 8-0 in the UFC and undefeated professionally at Middleweight.

Edited by beekay414

21 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Rockhold + 2 more wins? I mean maybe as a result of waiting for Izzy-Knuckles 2 and the Cannonier-Brunson winner but if he beats Rockhold and then outclasses the Costa-Vettori winner, he's right there. I don't think you risk Strickland with Till and Hermansson if he beats Luke, nor do I think you risk him with the Brunson-Cannonier loser. He beats Rockhold and Costa-Vettori winner, that's 7 straight overall, 8-0 in the UFC and undefeated professionally at Middleweight.

Does beating Rockhold really do a whole lot for him? He has fought in 2 years, it didnt go well then either. I agree if he beats Vettori/Costa winner that does something but im not even sure he'd get the next sot after beating them either. 

24 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

tbh I want to see the Costa Vettori winner vs Brunson Cannonier winner

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Does beating Rockhold really do a whole lot for him? He has fought in 2 years, it didnt go well then either. I agree if he beats Vettori/Costa winner that does something but im not even sure he'd get the next sot after beating them either. 

He should. We've seen guys get title shots with less. LIS, if he did that, he's 8-0 at 185 in the UFC and undefeated as a MW professionally. Why risk that potential challenger vs someone like Brunson or Whittaker? That's a no-win situation for the UFC.

Just now, beekay414 said:

He should. We've seen guys get title shots with less. LIS, if he did that, he's 8-0 at 185 in the UFC and undefeated as a MW professionally. Why risk that potential challenger vs someone like Brunson or Whittaker? That's a no-win situation for the UFC.

I guess there's a difference between thinking he's earned it and what the UFC will do. They totally could do it, I just dont think beating Luke is such a big deal but we've seen Lionheart get a title shot after beating a bunch of rusty legends

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I guess there's a difference between thinking he's earned it and what the UFC will do. They totally could do it, I just dont think beating Luke is such a big deal but we've seen Lionheart get a title shot after beating a bunch of rusty legends

But it's not just Luke. If he beats the Costa-Vettori winner, he beats someone that just recently challenged for a title and, of course, the UFC would market him for beating a former MW world champion. The story writes itself. If Izzy gets through Knuckles and the Brunson-Cannonier winner, you have an undefeated champion in his weight class and a challenger that's never lost at 185 in his career.

I mean, I don't see you arguing against Cannonier getting a title shot if he beats Brunson when his wins are/would be Brunson, Gastelum, Hermansson, Silva and Branch.

Is Costa/Vettori, Rockhold, Hall really that bad of a run compared to that? Brunson's would be Cannonier, Till, Holland, Shabazyan, Heinisch.

None of them have a crazy resume tbqh.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

But it's not just Luke. If he beats the Costa-Vettori winner, he beats someone that just recently challenged for a title and, of course, the UFC would market him for beating a former MW world champion. The story writes itself. If Izzy gets through Knuckles and the Brunson-Cannonier winner, you have an undefeated champion in his weight class and a challenger that's never lost at 185 in his career.

I mean, I don't see you arguing against Cannonier getting a title shot if he beats Brunson when his wins are/would be Brunson, Gastelum, Hermansson, Silva and Branch.

Is Costa/Vettori, Rockhold, Hall really that bad of a run compared to that? Brunson's would be Cannonier, Till, Holland, Shabazyan, Heinisch.

None of them have a crazy resume tbqh.

I think Stricklands is cleared 3rd on the list

Also, again, I get that they can market it as a former MW World champion on his resume but if thats the case, Cannonier beat the MW GOAT in dramatic fashion. Just because they can market it that way doesnt mean its not a farce

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think Stricklands is cleared 3rd on the list

Also, again, I get that they can market it as a former MW World champion on his resume but if thats the case, Cannonier beat the MW GOAT in dramatic fashion. Just because they can market it that way doesnt mean its not a farce

I think I disagree tbqh. None of them have impressive resumes and the winner of that matchup would have gotten a shot already as is. In that case, Strickland 100% would make sense. He'd have the biggest win (Costa-Vettori) and he'd be undefeated at the weight class. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I think I disagree tbqh. None of them have impressive resumes and the winner of that matchup would have gotten a shot already as is. In that case, Strickland 100% would make sense. He'd have the biggest win (Costa-Vettori) and he'd be undefeated at the weight class. 

The undefeated thing to me should be a bigger selling point in terms of marketing than actually his resume which sounds contradictory. Saying he beat Luck Rockhold just isnt a big deal to me, they can market it but do casuals even know who he is anyone other than the dude that got starched by Jan 2 years ago?

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The undefeated thing to me should be a bigger selling point in terms of marketing than actually his resume which sounds contradictory. Saying he beat Luck Rockhold just isnt a big deal to me, they can market it but do casuals even know who he is anyone other than the dude that got starched by Jan 2 years ago?

The disrespect. Jan is starching everyone so that's really not a knock on Luke lol.

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Meant no disrespect to Jan just moreso Luke hasnt done anything recently to have someone earn star power off of him.

Neither have Brunson or Cannonier so what's the point? My point is that, when the time comes, a win over Rockhold and Costa/Vettori, along with an undefeated divisional record, is more than enough to give Strickland a shot over the current crop we have now. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Neither have Brunson or Cannonier so what's the point? My point is that, when the time comes, a win over Rockhold and Costa/Vettori, along with an undefeated divisional record, is more than enough to give Strickland a shot over the current crop we have now. 

I guess i need to see it to judge. I mean if he dominates them then maybe. Like i said his record in the division is very impressive and marketable. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)