The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think it's pretty clear. 

Izzy vs Bobby for the title

Cannonier vs Brunson for the #1 contender spot

Winners of Rockhold/Strickland & Costa/Vettori for the #1 contender spot after that. 

Id be curious how the timeline would line up with Covid/Injuries/damage taken in the fight but it seems to be the next step

Looking into who Costa/Vettori fought before getting their shot, its tough to poke holes in Stricklands resume after that. My bad @beekay414

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Wasnt Knuckles hurt really bad in the 3rd? Might be thinking someone else. 

It was really late in the fight but for the prior 12-13 minutes, Whittaker completely outclassed him and had Jared rocked early in the 3rd off a combo into a headkick and sent him to the canvas.

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

With all of this said, if Strickland beats Vettori/Costa it’ll be a better feather in his cap than anyone Vettori/Costa beat before getting their shot

Darren Till got a title shot after starting 5-0 in the promotion with 3 wins over no names, a KO over Cerrone, and a super close split decision win over Wonderboy. The UFC didn't want Woodley/WB 3. 

Paulo Costa got a title shot after starting 5-0 in the promotion with 2 wins over no names, KO's over Johnny Hendricks (lol)/Uriah Hall, and a close decision over Yoel Romero. 

Jorge Masvidal was 3-4 over a 7 fight stretch, then coming off back to back losses, KO'd Till/slapped Leon back stage, starched Askren, and beat Nate for a fake belt then got back to back title shots. 

The UFC just wants fresh, marketable faces fighting for the belt. 

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Looking into who Costa/Vettori fought before getting their shot, its tough to poke holes in Stricklands resume after that. My bad @beekay414

Not a big deal. I just think, with the division being thin at the top and guys already either cleaned out by Izzy or by the best #1 contender in any division, then you're really not asking much from the next guy up. LIS, the best thing that could happen for 185 is Whittaker beating Izzy in the rematch and getting guys like Strickland, Du Plessis, Hawes and Chimaev going up the latter.

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Cody Garbrandt hadn't beaten anyone that good before his title shot. Jose Aldo was coming off back to back losses and got a title shot at 135. Dan Henderson/Urijah Faber also have recently fought for the belt, lol. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Not a big deal. I just think, with the division being thin at the top and guys already either cleaned out by Izzy or by the best #1 contender in any division, then you're really not asking much from the next guy up. LIS, the best thing that could happen for 185 is Whittaker beating Izzy in the rematch and getting guys like Strickland, Du Plessis, Hawes and Chimaev going up the latter.

Izzy is at a similar stage to where Jones was at when he was champ at 205. Cleared out the division and there's really only one other contender, DC/Bobby. 

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

185 right now feels like 205 a while ago with Bones being the #1 and DC being the always #2 and no one 3 and down could realistically be considered more deserving/better than DC but you cant just keep booking those 2

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Cody Garbrandt hadn't beaten anyone that good before his title shot. Jose Aldo was coming off back to back losses and got a title shot at 135. Dan Henderson/Urijah Faber also have recently fought for the belt, lol. 

Oh yea I hate most of that lol. Garbrandt at least was starching dudes left and right, beat an undefeated Almeida R1. Wasnt Mizugaki like Top-5 at the time too? Another R1 KO

As much as I love Aldo/Dan/Faber I hated all that lol. I wanted Jacare to get his shot or Gegard

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Darren Till got a title shot after starting 5-0 in the promotion with 3 wins over no names, a KO over Cerrone, and a super close split decision win over Wonderboy. The UFC didn't want Woodley/WB 3. 

Paulo Costa got a title shot after starting 5-0 in the promotion with 2 wins over no names, KO's over Johnny Hendricks (lol)/Uriah Hall, and a close decision over Yoel Romero. 

Jorge Masvidal was 3-4 over a 7 fight stretch, then coming off back to back losses, KO'd Till/slapped Leon back stage, starched Askren, and beat Nate for a fake belt then got back to back title shots. 

The UFC just wants fresh, marketable faces fighting for the belt. 

I'm well aware of how they do business lol I just dont like it sometimes. I feel this has been told to me 5 times the last day, I get it, its been the way it always is. Its why Leon hasn't fought for a title and Masvidal has twice

3 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Till fought the Brunson knowing he had a torn ACL...

Probably explains why he only used the one leg to try to get up in grappling positions on the ground. He tried to reverse off the cage but only pushed off with his left leg. Which knee was it that he tore?

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)