Reuben Foster update

MikeT14

On 1/21/2020 at 9:28 PM, bigdog44 said:

Is it worth keeping this guy around for another ENTIRE YEAR, knowing that the team will get nothing out of him? Another dude hanging out in the trainers room can’t be the type of culture Ron is trying to build. Dead weight has been dropped all over the front office and coaching staff, time to start on the roster

At this point? I'd injury-settlement him and be done with it. He already (IIRC from someone else's posts) has a shoulder injury that has limited him in the past. His wheels were his biggest selling point. And with his knee completely obliterated (seriously, think of pretty much every ligament torn - it's even worse than Robert's injury), I doubt he has the sideline to sideline ability once he gets back on the field. Just cut/injury settlement and move on.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He doesn’t cost much. I’d honestly hang on to him and see if he can get his explosiveness back. 

Agreed. Why not?

He’s easily the best LB on this roster if he gets back to even 75-80% of what he was as a rookie. And on a team that, in my opinion at least, needs to replace all 3 current “starters” at LB, it would be a real coup to pull an above-average WLB off last year’s IR. 

Maybe he doesn’t ever get back the ability to play effectively at the NFL level. It’s obviously a possibility, although I think Jaylon Smith shows pretty definitively that it’s not a certainty. In that case, we eat the $1.7M we owe him for this season and call it a loss. But on even an off chance that he comes back and is able to be productive, I don’t see why we’d cut bait now. The cost of keeping him on the roster and seeing what develops over the next 8 months is pretty low — the payoff if he makes it back onto the field is pretty high. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 11:04 PM, Thaiphoon said:

At this point? I'd injury-settlement him and be done with it. He already (IIRC from someone else's posts) has a shoulder injury that has limited him in the past. His wheels were his biggest selling point. And with his knee completely obliterated (seriously, think of pretty much every ligament torn - it's even worse than Robert's injury), I doubt he has the sideline to sideline ability once he gets back on the field. Just cut/injury settlement and move on.

That was me.  His shoulder was a huge concern coming into the draft, even more than his off-field issues.  You look at him midway through his second season with the 49ers, and he's got his arm hanging at his side, tackling and covering guys with one arm.  

I was never in favor of picking him up to begin with, so I agree with injury settling him just due to the two big injury issues, but I also see the side of hanging onto him at least through the pre-season and seeing what he can do.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

That was me.  His shoulder was a huge concern coming into the draft, even more than his off-field issues.  You look at him midway through his second season with the 49ers, and he's got his arm hanging at his side, tackling and covering guys with one arm.  

I was never in favor of picking him up to begin with, so I agree with injury settling him just due to the two big injury issues, but I also see the side of hanging onto him at least through the pre-season and seeing what he can do.  

Yeah I thought that was you but couldn't be sure. And yeah, @e16bball made a good point about keeping him due to his cheap contract. But I think he's on very thin ice right now if I'm the front office. Not sure they want to IR him again this year so I think he needs to be ready to play by Week 1 if he has a shot of not getting cut.

I don’t think I’m as pessimistic as everyone else about the knee. At least not pessimistic enough to give up on an All-Rookie, borderline Pro Bowl as a rookie type guy. 

The obvious comp is Jaylon Smith because the injuries are very similar, as are their positions/games. Smith was injured in January 2016, suffering what was also called a “catastrophic” knee injury with significant nerve damage. He was back on the field for the beginning of training camp in July 2017, reportedly looking “fantastic,” and he played all 16 games (about 55% of the defensive snaps) that season. 

Reuben suffered his injury in May 2018, which would equate to a November return on Smith’s timetable (18 months). But we don’t know that it will be precisely that long, and one could easily envision a scenario where he would be able to practice at least by 15-16 months. I think there’s certainly no guarantee that he misses 2020, at least not in its entirety. 

However, @offbyone’s point is well taken, in that it would be a bit silly for us to handle his rehab, work him back up to speed, and get him back out on the field — just to see him walk in FA after the season. The decision on his 5th-year option will be due in May, and I can’t imagine them agreeing to pay him $10M for 2021 when they’ve never even seen him on the field for this team. A one-year extension in the $2-3M range (with some guarantees and incentives for playing time) would probably make a lot of sense for both parties, as it would make sure we keep him here long enough to actually evaluate him and would provide him with some security in the event of any setbacks. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 11:04 PM, Thaiphoon said:

And, I read he just got feeling back in his foot. It's been 7 months since his awful knee injury and he's just getting feeling back? Not a good sign. 

The Jaylon Smith comp is a great one by E. I see no reason to cut/injury settlement him and move on.

There is no harm done in keeping him, seeing how he progresses, putting him on PUP for training camp to return in November or putting him on IR in September if he isn't ready to play all year. I think he's too talented of a football player to just give up on him, even if he misses two years or last year and then is on PUP and comes back in November of this year.

All that being said, we have to treat our LB corps as though he’ll never play a down for us this year. We need to sign a LB or 2 and draft a few, anything we get from  Foster this year or in future years is gravy.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1