Patriots Sell The House For Burrow?

HolmesPriest

22 hours ago, HolmesPriest said:

Interesting thought I had while taking my morning shower. The Patriots making some type of huge blockbuster deal to move up in the draft to get Joe Burrow? What are your thoughts on this Evil Genious idea?

I actually wouldn't have a problem with that if I were a Patriots fan.  If there is any team in the league who could give up a year's worth of draft picks, it just might be the Pats.  BB should go Full-Ditka and give up his entire draft to move up to #1.  If the Bengals take that trade, however, they should never be forgiven.  :D

Patriots are letting Brady walk and giving the starting gig to Jarrett Stidham. The goal is to go 0-16 next season (not like Belly would get fired) and use that #1 pick on Trevor Lawrence. 

Week 17, New England vs Miami is going to be the battle for who goes winless - it'll probably be the most entertaining game ever played.

• Like 2

IIRC since the cap era, there's no trade that has gone down from the 20's to 1.1 ever.   Even a RG3 type haul isn't enough - because of the gap between a top 10, or even top 15 pick, to the 20's.   The drop in value is just insane.  It's not happening.     

Mahomes was from 27 to 10, and Watson from 25 to 12.   As a reference, the 10-12 to 1.1 trade value is likely ANOTHER 2 1sts....and probably even more, just because of the fact those picks are still likely in the 20's, playing in the AFC and BB around.   Then you add in the hype Burrow's getting as the only safe franchise QB talent (Tua's health is obviously the issue there).

So, it's a pipe dream.  

Edited by Broncofan

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Patriots are letting Brady walk and giving the starting gig to Jarrett Stidham. The goal is to go 0-16 next season (not like Belly would get fired) and use that #1 pick on Trevor Lawrence. 

Week 17, New England vs Miami is going to be the battle for who goes winless - it'll probably be the most entertaining game ever played.

> Brady goes for 20 rush attempts, totaling half a yard.

23 hours ago, HolmesPriest said:

Interesting thought I had while taking my morning shower. The Patriots making some type of huge blockbuster deal to move up in the draft to get Joe Burrow? What are your thoughts on this Evil Genious idea?

They could give up their entire draft for the next 3 years and Cincinnati still isn't even taking their phone call.

• Like 2

What's interesting is that apparently New England was ready to move up in 2017 to draft Mayfield if the Browns didn't take him first overall. I wonder if they still have that interest and give the Browns FO a call. I'm certainly not ready to write off Mayfield in Cleveland (or in general) yet, and the Browns in all likelihood aren't ready either, but with Mayfield disappointing thus far, the old Mayfield regime (Dorsey) out in Cleveland, and the Patriots possibly needing a new QB, it's something to think about. New England doesn't have the resources to move up to #1 in 2020, but maybe they have enough to tantalize the Browns for Mayfield's services. 

At least according to Mayfield's agent, Jack Mills.

"We knew the Jets at No. 3 was the bottom line," Mills said during an appearance on former NFL executive Andrew Brandt's podcast. "We had another team -- which is going to surprise you -- another team had said, 'You may get a big surprise on draft day at No. 2 if [Mayfield] is available.' It was the Patriots. They had (No.) 23 and they had (No.) 31, and they had two seconds, and I don't know. We thought, boy, that's going to be a heck of a move to get up that high from where they are. And of course, he wasn't available so we never knew if that was a reality or not."

As for New England and Burrow, Cincinnati has no excuse not to take him and even if they were willing to move out of that spot, New England doesn't have the necessary ammunition to do so.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfields-agent-patriots-were-going-to-move-up-to-no-2-to-draft-qb-if-browns-hadnt-taken-him/

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/baker-mayfield-was-convinced-patriots-would-trade-draft-him-no-2

EDIT: Looking at what Stefanski has already said about Baker, it doesn't sound like he's going anywhere (at least this year). Maybe put this plan on hold until 2021.

Edited by SmittyBacall