Philip Rivers and family have "permanently" moved out of San Diego; relocated to Florida

jetskid007

It sounds like Rivers is ready to move on from the Chargers, and the Chargers are letting out signals of the same. What makes things complicated for the Chargers: they may be looking into jumping into the Brady sweepstakes, so the franchise tag may not be an option for them RE: Rivers (they can seek to tag and trade or rescind it, but I feel like that will be a bad look especially if they're trying to convince Brady to come there, considering his views on the franchise tag and allowing for player freedom). 

He's moved to Florida, but on the surface it wouldn't appear that there's an opening for him in MIA, JAX, or TB... but things could change quickly, especially in Tampa Bay, as it's entirely possible that they move on from Jameis and add Rivers instead, while drafting his successor (keep in mind that Jason Licht agreed to a 5 year extension, giving him security if he were to decide to take another swing at drafting a QB... that's rare for an executive, but it gives him the opportunity to address the position as he sees fit, rather than being tied to Jameis. The fit would seem odd, but Arians affinity for Rivers dates back a long time, so he could see him as the adequate 1-3 year QB for his team while Licht tries to find a worthy successor. 

Other teams that could make sense: 

• Carolina Panthers: not far from home, which is clearly important to Rivers', but they would have to move on from Cam Newton for this to occur. 
  • Indianapolis Colts: lots of ties there and gets to stay on the east coast. Quick flight to his new home in Florida so would be able to fly back after games/before practice for a 1-2 days a week. 

... otherwise, it would appear to be slim pickings 

Edited by jetskid007

45 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It sounds like Rivers is ready to move on from the Chargers, and the Chargers are letting out signals of the same. What makes things complicated for the Chargers: they may be looking into jumping into the Brady sweepstakes, so the franchise tag may not be an option for them RE: Rivers (they can seek to tag and trade or rescind it, but I feel like that will be a bad look especially if they're trying to convince Brady to come there, considering his views on the franchise tag and allowing for player freedom). 

He's moved to Florida, but on the surface it wouldn't appear that there's an opening for him in MIA, JAX, or TB... but things could change quickly, especially in Tampa Bay, as it's entirely possible that they move on from Jameis and add Rivers instead, while drafting his successor (keep in mind that Jason Licht agreed to a 5 year extension, giving him security if he were to decide to take another swing at drafting a QB... that's rare for an executive, but it gives him the opportunity to address the position as he sees fit, rather than being tied to Jameis. The fit would seem odd, but Arians affinity for Rivers dates back a long time, so he could see him as the adequate 1-3 year QB for his team while Licht tries to find a worthy successor. 

Other teams that could make sense: 

• Carolina Panthers: not far from home, which is clearly important to Rivers', but they would have to move on from Cam Newton for this to occur. 
  • Indianapolis Colts: lots of ties there and gets to stay on the east coast. Quick flight to his new home in Florida so would be able to fly back after games/before practice for a 1-2 days a week. 

... otherwise, it would appear to be slim pickings 

I've been wrong before, but I just don't see him being a plain-hop commuter in terms of seeing his family; it's just not the kind of guy the man is.  If I was to make an educated guess, they're likely headed for somewhere in the Florida panhandle (Rivers and his wife are both from Alabama), so if they're moving to Florida to be closer to family that's likely the "closer" they're talking about.  It's over 400 miles from Tallahassee to Charlotte.  Don't even get me started on Indy (which is a shame because Indy would be his best shot at a ring).

Tampa I could see as a possibility.  jacksonville maybe so as well.  Miami feels like a stretch - distance-wise, what the team has/doesn't have in place right now wise, etc.

Just now, N4L said:

He has been commuting from SD to LA since they moved 

Well... LA County.  Chargers actually were practicing in Orange County (with LA traffic that's almost a 45 minute difference between there and Carson - where the soccer stadium is).  I'm actually not up on what practice facilities they were going to be using with the move into SoFi Stadium.  It's possible they takeover or lease the temporary facilities in Thousand Oaks that the Rams bought and built up while SoFi was being constructed.  But if that's the case he'd be going past LA for practices.

The important thing to remember is that Rivers was commuting via private driver.  It'll be interesting to see if that holds if he does opt to play next season and beyond.  It's possible that an owner - as part of his contract - offers to privately fly him to and from whatever airport is most adjacent to wherever in the panhandle (I'm presuming, but safely so) the family sets up and the team's facilities.  You have to imagine though, that for Rivers to commit to continuing that kind of time-lengthy commute (close to 2 hours each way), especially when he's talking all new ties that would have to be formed (downplay it all people want, but players are more willing to sacrifice or knuckle-under for guys that they've been to battle with for a number of years, far more than they are for guys they barely know), he'd have to be getting a legitimate path to a ring, not just "well, he'd make the team better than the last guy did."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

He'll be the 1 year stop gap for Tua.

Why would Miami (I'm presuming that's who you mean, but honestly... even the Chargers, outside of sentimentality) do that, though?  Both have not-great but serviceable QB's already under cheaper contracts through the 2020 season?

• Like 1