Philip Rivers and family have "permanently" moved out of San Diego; relocated to Florida

jetskid007

45 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Well... LA County.  Chargers actually were practicing in Orange County (with LA traffic that's almost a 45 minute difference between there and Carson - where the soccer stadium is).  I'm actually not up on what practice facilities they were going to be using with the move into SoFi Stadium.  It's possible they takeover or lease the temporary facilities in Thousand Oaks that the Rams bought and built up while SoFi was being constructed.  But if that's the case he'd be going past LA for practices.

The important thing to remember is that Rivers was commuting via private driver.  It'll be interesting to see if that holds if he does opt to play next season and beyond.  It's possible that an owner - as part of his contract - offers to privately fly him to and from whatever airport is most adjacent to wherever in the panhandle (I'm presuming, but safely so) the family sets up and the team's facilities.  You have to imagine though, that for Rivers to commit to continuing that kind of time-lengthy commute (close to 2 hours each way), especially when he's talking all new ties that would have to be formed (downplay it all people want, but players are more willing to sacrifice or knuckle-under for guys that they've been to battle with for a number of years, far more than they are for guys they barely know), he'd have to be getting a legitimate path to a ring, not just "well, he'd make the team better than the last guy did."

Don't get me wrong, I think Philip is in for significant change. I don't see an opportunity available where Rivers will be able to spend time with his family full-time while also playing football. He's made it clear he plans on continuing his career, so he's going to have to make adjustments to accommodate his football career. Like may other football families, he'll have to get an apartment/rent a home, and his wife will be stuck taking care of the kids (you would think with the help of their extended family considering they have 9 kids). This is common throughout the NFL, but it adds a different element for Philip since he is so family oriented and has so many children. 

I point out the flying not because I think he'll fly back and forth to practice every day, but instead for his off days. Teams usually practice Wed-Fri, off Saturday, and game on Sunday, which would allow him to fly home after his Sunday games, and spend Mon-Tues at home with the family on most weeks. 

Also- I'm sure a private jet will be involved in his commute.

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Rivers is a smart man, the team moved to LA and who wants to live in that dump ?

Going from SD to LA is culture shock for a family man

This doesn't even deserve answering, tbh.  Just another case of someone thinking LA is nothing but urban.  Ignorance truly is bliss, isn't it?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The LBC said:

This doesn't even deserve answering, tbh.  Just another case of someone thinking LA is nothing but urban.  Ignorance truly is bliss, isn't it?

Most parts California were beautiful.. I thought LA was a dump when I was there, that's not ignorant whatsoever. No need to get your panties in a bunch

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

Well... LA County.  Chargers actually were practicing in Orange County (with LA traffic that's almost a 45 minute difference between there and Carson - where the soccer stadium is).  I'm actually not up on what practice facilities they were going to be using with the move into SoFi Stadium.  It's possible they takeover or lease the temporary facilities in Thousand Oaks that the Rams bought and built up while SoFi was being constructed.  But if that's the case he'd be going past LA for practices.

The important thing to remember is that Rivers was commuting via private driver.  It'll be interesting to see if that holds if he does opt to play next season and beyond.  It's possible that an owner - as part of his contract - offers to privately fly him to and from whatever airport is most adjacent to wherever in the panhandle (I'm presuming, but safely so) the family sets up and the team's facilities.  You have to imagine though, that for Rivers to commit to continuing that kind of time-lengthy commute (close to 2 hours each way), especially when he's talking all new ties that would have to be formed (downplay it all people want, but players are more willing to sacrifice or knuckle-under for guys that they've been to battle with for a number of years, far more than they are for guys they barely know), he'd have to be getting a legitimate path to a ring, not just "well, he'd make the team better than the last guy did."

To be fair, that SUV he was commuting in was $200,000 and had a 50-in TV in it for film study. Between teammates, coaches, and a million kids, it was probably the only peace and quiet he ever got. I would probably prefer that over a private plane.

5 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Most parts California were beautiful.. I thought LA was a dump when I was there, that's not ignorant whatsoever. No need to get your panties in a bunch

Again, you went to where in "LA" (it's a big place, most athletes don't live anywhere near downtown)?  In fact, a lot of the places where athletes live look very much like... wait for it... the areas in San Diego where athletes live.

• Like 1