Fire Pettine

MacReady

Just now, Kepler said:

No for real. There's gotta be someone we can talk about as a replacement.

Maybe GB could pry a good one away by making them an assistant HC as well?

Honestly though, how many of the great defensive coordinator hires are established guys?  Usually getting a good defensive coordinator is a guy looking to make a name for himself, thus being aggressive.

You don't get much aggression out of fired head coaches content with coordinating. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Honestly though, how many of the great defensive coordinator hires are established guys?  Usually getting a good defensive coordinator is a guy looking to make a name for himself, thus being aggressive.

You don't get much aggression out of fired head coaches content with coordinating. 

True. Should probably identify a young up and comer with vision and the ability to adjust.

I like the 4-3 defense, too.  No, there is no evidence to suggest it's a good choice, but when the majority does one thing, do the other and the pieces will fall to you instead of being reached on by other teams.  The advantage goes to a 4-3 defense in finding DL. 

I think he was retained by Murphy when LaFleur was hired. I think LaFleur has legitimately earned the right to hire his own guy. I think we're better prepared to play like the 49er's with 4 down linemen and 3 FAST linebackers who can move. Burks has got to be given a shot and I think a more simplified defense he could be better than serviceable. Just a hunch. Sign #44 from the Bears and draft 2 more linebackers. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I like the 4-3 defense, too.  No, there is no evidence to suggest it's a good choice, but when the majority does one thing, do the other and the pieces will fall to you instead of being reached on by other teams.  The advantage goes to a 4-3 defense in finding DL. 

We don't rely on a true Nose though. A lot of our 3-3 reps are a 4-3 over look with Z playing heads up on the T. In this day and age you need to be multiple, find your role players.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Both the Smiths and Gary are better served as DE in a 4-3. Then you have Clark and Keke or Lancaster inside. 

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Bring me Chris Hewitt or Joe Cullen or something. Bring me a Ravens D coach.

I'd take somebody on the 9ers staff too. There are a lot of young, talented coaches out there. I think that is the thing, get somebody young  and aggressive.