Fire Pettine

MacReady

Just now, minnypackerfan said:

Ok help me here.  Give me 2 or 3 names that you would be happy with if we fired him.  There are a lot of retreads right now available....or would a college coach be appealing to you.  I'm reluctant to just fire someone without some idea of who you would target to replace him.

Wade Philips.  Then after he retires, promote from within. 

47 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Wade Philips.  Then after he retires, promote from within. 

Can we get him in the Brockers, Liddleton combo meal?  DL, ILB and DC all wrapped up together?

I think he'd love our EDGE guys.  He'd throw up into his mouth when looking at our ILB guys under contract.  And I think he could work with the secondary.

I'm not quick to jump normally but I do think Uncle Fester is nothing more than Dom Capers without the blitz packages.  Or willingness to use them.  If you're going to can him though you had better have the improved replacement tied up.

28 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

The defensive game plan was untenable. I really hope we move on from him. Too much talent on the D to be middle of the road. 

“Too much talent on the D”

Ummmm what? Lol

We have the two Smiths and that’s it. Kevin King is feast or famine. Injury machine. Jaire Alexander another bi polar dude. LBs are garbage. DBs are crap who can’t cover zone. 

Savage is somewhat decent with Amos backing him.

But literally there is no excuse for your defense letting Russell Westbrook and 49ers to run all over you in back to back games.

Literally ANYONE would be better that Pettine, the bar has been set THAT low.

49ers aren’t going anywhere and as long as we have Pettine as our coordinator then Shanahan will keep demolishing this Defense.

I'm not keen on the idea of firing Pettine as it will be difficult to find a better candidate. Overall our defence has vastly improved and there's no reason we cannot continue to build upon it with more solid acquisitions in the offseason. We invested huge sums of money on the Smiths and they have been an outstanding success thriving in Pettine's scheme. A new coordinator could undo any progress we made and suddenly they're square pegs in round holes and their contracts would suddenly become an albatross around our necks.

If LaFleur do decide to part ways the good news is there's no shortage of names with ties to LaFleur or indirectly to Shanahan or McVay on the market:

Wade Phillips - on same staff with LaFleur at Rams.  However at 72 years old it would go against LaFleur's youth movement if his coaching hires is anything to go by.

Kris Richard - coached in Seattle with LaFleur's old boss Dan Quinn and Robert Saleh. He's a big name candidate and is very available. He will definitely be on the radar.

Joe Woods - naturally because of his connection to Shanahan, Saleh and Morris. Has previous coordinating experience - definitely one to keep an eye on.

Raheem Morris - unless he is fired by the Falcons he's currently not an option for LaFleur but has strong history with LaFleur at Redskins and Falcons, and with Shanahan at Tampa.

Jim Leonard - Only because he is familiar with Pettine's scheme and he might be able to build upon the foundations laid down by Pettine.

Jeff Ulbrich - Another Falcons connection with LaFleur. Currently Assistant Head coach/Linebackers coach for Falcons. Dark Horse candidate.

Richard Smith - Was coordinator at Houston when LaFleur was there as assistant. Coordinator again at Falcons when LaFleur was QB coach. Currently Chargers LB coach.

Greg Manusky- vast coordinating experience, worked with McVay. No direct connection to LaFleur.

Joe Barry - LB coach at Rams with LaFleur, currently assistant head coach/LB coach. Worked with Shanahan at Tampa way back in 2004. Had 2 previous coordinator gigs at Lions and Redskins.

Frank Bush - another name that keeps popping up. Worked with both LaFleur and Shanahan. Was coordinator at Houston. Been assistant head coach/LB coach for the last 3 years with Miami and Jets.

Lou Spanos - currently coordinator at UConn. On staff with LaFleur at Redskins. Was at Titans but missed each other by a year.

Perry Fewell - Experienced coach with coordinating experience at Bills and Giants. Worked with McVay at Redskins but no direct connection to LaFleur.

Aubrey Pleasant - DB coach at Rams, knows LaFleur from Rams and Redskins.

Marquand Manuel - Former Packer. He was on same staff as LaFleur at Atlanta in 2015. Was coordinator at Falcons before being fired in 2018. Unlikely candidate for coordinator though.

Johnny Holland - a name older Packers fans should recognise. Worked alongside both LaFleur and Shanahan. Now 54 years old, not sure if he has the chops to be coordinator.

DeMeco Ryans - Was playing at Houston when LaFleur and Shanahan was there. Shanahan brought him to 49ers as ILB coach. Now completing his 2nd season as ILB coach it might be too soon for him to step up to coordinator. Still only 35.

Tyrone McKenzie - very familar with LaFleur from Rams and Titans but probably too early for him to take the next step up to coordinator.

Jim Haslett - was Redkins coordinator when LaFleur was QB coach. I suspect he's retired otherwise he would've joined McCarthy at Cowboys.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm not keen on the idea of firing Pettine as it will be difficult to find a better candidate. Overall our defence has vastly improved and there's no reason we cannot continue to build upon it with more solid acquisitions in the offseason. We invested huge sums of money on the Smiths and they have been an outstanding success thriving in Pettine's scheme. A new coordinator could undo any progress we made and suddenly they're square pegs in round holes and their contracts would suddenly become an albatross around our necks.

If LaFleur do decide to part ways the good news is there's no shortage of names with ties to LaFleur or indirectly to Shanahan on the market:

Wade Phillips - on same staff with LaFleur at Rams.  However at 72 years old it would go against LaFleur's youth movement if his coaching hires is anything to go by.

Kris Richard - coached in Seattle with LaFleur's old boss Dan Quinn and Robert Saleh. He's a big name candidate and is very available. He will definitely be on the radar.

Joe Woods - naturally because of his connection to Shanahan, Saleh and Morris. Has previous coordinating experience - definitely one to keep an eye on.

Raheem Morris - unless he is fired by the Falcons he's currently not an option for LaFleur but has strong history with LaFleur at Redskins and Falcons, and with Shanahan at Tampa.

Jim Leonard - Only because he is familiar with Pettine's scheme and he might be able to build upon the foundations laid down by Pettine.

Jeff Ulbrich - Another Falcons connection with LaFleur. Currently Assistant Head coach/Linebackers coach for Falcons. Dark Horse candidate.

Richard Smith - Was coordinator at Houston when LaFleur was there as assistant. Coordinator again at Falcons when LaFleur was QB coach. Currently Chargers LB coach.

Greg Manusky- vast coordinating experience, worked with McVay. No direct connection to LaFleur.

Joe Barry - LB coach at Rams with LaFleur, currently assistant head coach/LB coach. Worked with Shanahan at Tampa way back in 2004. Had 2 previous coordinator gigs at Lions and Redskins.

Frank Bush - another name that keeps popping up. Worked with both LaFleur and Shanahan. Was coordinator at Houston. Been assistant head coach/LB coach for the last 3 years with Miami and Jets.

Lou Spanos - currently coordinator at UConn. On staff with LaFleur at Redskins. Was at Titans but missed each other by a year.

Perry Fewell - Experienced coach with coordinating experience at Bills and Giants. Worked with McVay at Redskins but no direct connection to LaFleur.

Aubrey Pleasant - DB coach at Rams, knows LaFleur from Rams and Redskins.

Marquand Manuel - Former Packer. He was on same staff as LaFleur at Atlanta in 2015. Was coordinator at Falcons before being fired in 2018. Unlikely candidate for coordinator though.

Johnny Holland - a name older Packers fans should recognise. Worked alongside both LaFleur and Shanahan. Now 54 years old, not sure if he has the chops to be coordinator.

DeMeco Ryans - Was playing at Houston when LaFleur and Shanahan was there. Shanahan brought him to 49ers as ILB coach. Now completing his 2nd season as ILB coach it might be too soon for him to step up to coordinator. Still only 35.

Tyrone McKenzie - very familar with LaFleur from Rams and Titans but probably too early for him to take the next step up to coordinator.

Jim Haslett - was Redkins coordinator when LaFleur was QB coach. I suspect he's retired otherwise he would've joined McCarthy at Cowboys.

This is exactly the same argument people said about Dom Capers (no better candidate, we have invested in his scheme, he had injuries next year will be different, etc) and hence we were stuck with that idiot for over a decade. At least that idiot had a few top 10 defenses. Pettine hasn’t had one yet. This year we were 15th literally the definition of middle of the pack. (No pun intended).

Move on from Pettine, he can’t counter scheme and he got embarrassed in the playoffs. How much more embarrassment does this organization need to suffer at the hands of Pettine before we say ok enough is enough? 3 more years? 5 more years? 

I said it in the off season, I said it in Nov, and I say it now. Fire this moron. Just like how we should have fired Capers in 2012 & certainly after 2014.

30 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

“Too much talent on the D”

Ummmm what? Lol

We have the two Smiths and that’s it. Kevin King is feast or famine. Injury machine. Jaire Alexander another bi polar dude. LBs are garbage. DBs are crap who can’t cover zone. 

Savage is somewhat decent with Amos backing him.

But literally there is no excuse for your defense letting Russell Westbrook and 49ers to run all over you in back to back games.

Literally ANYONE would be better that Pettine, the bar has been set THAT low.

49ers aren’t going anywhere and as long as we have Pettine as our coordinator then Shanahan will keep demolishing this Defense.

How about Kenny Clark?