Fire Pettine

MacReady

Found some stats about the 4 losses and the run game:

In all 4 losses this year, the defense allowed:

120 carries - 721 yards - 10 TDs -6.01 yards per carry

Averaging 30 carries - 180 yards - 2.5 TDs

I think we all new the run defense wasn't that good, but Kenny Clark needs help along with some good fast LBs.

Going to be very interesting to see what MLF says about what transpired on Sunday in Santa Clara.

I mean who could forget McCarthy's full-throated defense of Capers after the meltdown in Atlanta in the 2016 NFC Championship game ... when, in response to a reporter's question ... McCarthy exclaimed ... "Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach. That doesn't change” ... only to fire Dom 12 months later ... and replace him with Pettine.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Going to be very interesting to see what MLF says about what transpired on Sunday in Santa Clara.

I mean who could forget McCarthy's full-throated defense of Capers after the meltdown in Atlanta in the 2016 NFC Championship game ... when, in response to a reporter's question ... McCarthy exclaimed ... "Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach. That doesn't change” ... only to fire Dom 12 months later ... and replace him with Pettine.

Lol.  I literally said this like 30 minutes ago:

I’m going to be TheOnlyThing.  Imitation here:

Jaire Alexander is really fun to watch.  Unlike the failure Ahmad Carrol (list an entire paragraph on how Carrol sucked).

Z Smith has a sack?  Better **** on Matthews.

Literally everything you say is an attempt to tie the present to the past by ****ting on McCarthy, Thompson, AJ Hawk, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Randall Cobb...

It's literally all that you do. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Wasn't 2016 the year that we won 2 playoff games with Ladarius Gunter as our #1 CB by essentially reengineering the defense on the fly heading into the postseason?

I get Atlanta was horrible, but that was overall not a bad postseason run by a DC. Far from it.

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  I literally said this like 30 minutes ago:

Literally everything you say is an attempt to tie the present to the past by ****ting on McCarthy, Thompson, AJ Hawk, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Randall Cobb...

It's literally all that you do. 

And you all fall for it

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wasn't 2016 the year that we won 2 playoff games ...

Dom's defense gave up 420 yards and 31 points to Dallas in the 2016 playoff game.

So yeah I can see how he should gets credit for the W in that game rather than the QB who led his team to 34 points ... on the road ... against the #5 scoring defense that year.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Norm said:

Pettine has gotten stale

hire a good offensive coach, you tell them - study the opponent, find out what they do, then do your best to stop it.

Offenses are so far ahead of the curve I'm not sure defensive coaches have any idea what they are doing these days - they just know what they know and either its a good fit for the state of the league or the team they play for/against, or it isn't and they get fired.  Even Zimmer's defenses got worked this year.

in the college game, offense is so so far ahead of defense, and that's starting to creep into the NFL.  Give me an innovative coach who understands what the opponent is trying to do.  I'm guessing that's an offensive coach.

• Like 1

Well first of all, I guess you have to wait until after the game to post a Fire Pettine thread. Must've missed that somewhere because my thread got shut down so I'll reiterate what I said there:

Pettine doesn't make adjustments and will hide behind the excuse of "I don't have my guys" the way Capers and his cronies made excuses for poor performance. All during the second half, it was like watching our players stand as cones with targets on them for their OL. Jimmy G was shooting fish in a barrel making blocking assignments at the line.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Give me an innovative coach who understands what the opponent is trying to do.  I'm guessing that's an offensive coach.

I'd go for someone on Belichick or Harbaugh's staff. We need youth at the DC position, not another retread. Older coaches are beginning to fail in this league because of all the advancements in the offensive game along with the constant rule changes; yet Belichick and Harbaugh seem to be ahead of the curve. Find their younger, innovative talent, make them the DC, and surround them with younger, yet experienced positional coaches. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

Well first of all, I guess you have to wait until after the game to post a Fire Pettine thread. Must've missed that somewhere because my thread got shut down so I'll reiterate what I said there:

Pettine doesn't make adjustments and will hide behind the excuse of "I don't have my guys" the way Capers and his cronies made excuses for poor performance. All during the second half, it was like watching our players stand as cones with targets on them for their OL. Jimmy G was shooting fish in a barrel making blocking assignments at the line.

I'd go for someone on Belichick or Harbaugh's staff. We need youth at the DC position, not another retread. Older coaches are beginning to fail in this league because of all the advancements in the offensive game along with the constant rule changes; yet Belichick and Harbaugh seem to be ahead of the curve. Find their younger, innovative talent, make them the DC, and surround them with younger, yet experienced positional coaches. 

Yeah, I think we clearly should have had a had a more innovative scheme in place for this particular opponent.  The Pack already had been beat down in a previous matchup with the Niners .. should have seen what was coming at them the second time.  I'm not sure we currently have the talent to match up with them, but we could have added some fatties to help on the Dline during the course of the season.  I think we basically sat there with a wasted roster spot for Raven Greene when he could have added a Mike Pennel several weeks back.  I'm sure Pennel wasn't going to lead us to victory, but the Packers look a little silly for not anticipating what they may be facing.