Fire Pettine

MacReady

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah, I think we clearly should have had a had a more innovative scheme in place for this particular opponent.  The Pack already had been beat down in a previous matchup with the Niners .. should have seen what was coming at them the second time.  I'm not sure we currently have the talent to match up with them, but we could have added some fatties to help on the Dline during the course of the season.  I think we basically sat there with a wasted roster spot for Raven Greene when he could have added a Mike Pennel several weeks back.  I'm sure Pennel wasn't going to lead us to victory, but the Packers look a little silly for not anticipating what they may be facing.

Would've been nice to sign him and to trade for Davin Godchaux. It would've made the game more competitive to say the least. If Jimmy G is really this terrible QB that people seem to think he is, perhaps he has a Kirk Cousins/Tony Romo meltdown that costs them the game...

Edited by Joe

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

Would've been nice to sign him and to trade for Davin Godchaux. It would've made the game more competitive to say the least. If Jimmy G is really this terrible QB that people seem to think he is, perhaps he has a Kirk Cousins/Tony Romo meltdown that costs them the game...

Yeah .. that was one of the reasons that people were giving the Packers a shot prior to the game .. Jimmy G. had the potential to crap down his leg.  Seeing that run defense was our biggest issue on the defense this season it's unfortunate that we didn't do things to address it during the season.  Gute gets a negative there .. not proactive enough to shore up a deficiency.  If Pettine wasn't pounding the table for reinforcements at Dline he should have been.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

34 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

hire a good offensive coach, you tell them - study the opponent, find out what they do, then do your best to stop it.

Offenses are so far ahead of the curve I'm not sure defensive coaches have any idea what they are doing these days - they just know what they know and either its a good fit for the state of the league or the team they play for/against, or it isn't and they get fired.  Even Zimmer's defenses got worked this year.

in the college game, offense is so so far ahead of defense, and that's starting to creep into the NFL.  Give me an innovative coach who understands what the opponent is trying to do.  I'm guessing that's an offensive coach.

Not going to lie, this intrigues me

I laugh that to this day people are like "we should hire someone off of BB's staff!!" As if the dozens of failures already haven't told you that Belicheck is the reason they are good and not his understudies. Stay as far away from New England staff as humanly possible.

Jim Leonhard is still my #1 candidate. Played under Pettine and Rex Ryan so the terminology and concepts have to be similar. Yet opposite of Pettine he takes moderate talent and has got them playing at elite levels, whereas this year I think we played below our talent level. I'm not interested in wide sweeping scheme changes as I feel Pettine's coverage disguising packages are valuable in today's NFL. I want a similar passing scheme with updated run fits and more aggression. Therefore the only candidate that really interests me is Leonhard, or maybe promoting Mike Smith from within.

Otherwise I'm fine with LaFleur sitting Pettine down and telling him what he'd like to see change conceptually. If Pettine is too prideful to take criticism he can go, otherwise I'm OK with him getting a chance to reform some aspects of the defense.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

Not going to lie, this intrigues me

Me too - schematically anyways.  The technique part of this would give me pause though.  Our guys need to learn how to use their hands better and shed blocks, not to mention learning to tackle all over again.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah, I think we clearly should have had a had a more innovative scheme in place for this particular opponent.  The Pack already had been beat down in a previous matchup with the Niners .. should have seen what was coming at them the second time.  I'm not sure we currently have the talent to match up with them, but we could have added some fatties to help on the Dline during the course of the season.  I think we basically sat there with a wasted roster spot for Raven Greene when he could have added a Mike Pennel several weeks back.  I'm sure Pennel wasn't going to lead us to victory, but the Packers look a little silly for not anticipating what they may be facing.

Yeah I was always on the Pennel run stopper train. The kid is huge and can play. But I do believe he's got some drug issues. But for a few games who cares at that point we knew what we'd be getting a run stuffer beside Clark that would have been huge on Sunday.

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I laugh that to this day people are like "we should hire someone off of BB's staff!!" As if the dozens of failures already haven't told you that Belicheck is the reason they are good and not his understudies. Stay as far away from New England staff as humanly possible.

Those people have failed as head coaches, not coordinators. 

Well McGinn certainly is not mincing his words regarding Pettine.

There are a few secrets in NFL coaching circles. It wasn’t a coincidence that Pettine was out of a job in 2016 and ’17. No one wanted him. Losing is one thing. Failing even to compete, both physically and schematically, is another

14 hours ago, PackGymRat said:

Decent, too early to call him an elite player.

Packers don’t have elite players on defense. They are slow slow slow. And the two players we do have that can be considered elite or very good came from FA.

In that case, Charles Woodson is the only elite player I have seen on the packers defense I my 18 years watching. 

If probably the best overall player in the entire league at the NT position isn't being classified as elite, we may as well just add the caveat that you can't be elite without winning DPOTY within the last 2-3 seasons. 

28 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I've no idea if Capers was berated as much as Pettine is now on Twitter (I only started using Twitter two years ago - after Capers time here expired), but it does sound like the chatter in general around Pettine being released is much louder this time around.

No, the chatter is stronger with Pettine now (after year 2) than it was with Capers until the very end (after 9 years as DC) -- both with the fan base and the usually avoid all controversy or upset (other than McGinn) Packer press .

Remember, Capers was the DC when the Pack won the SB in 2010 with the number 1 scoring defense.

That allowed him to avoid being blamed when the D finished 32nd or last in 2011 in yards allowed.

A minority of voices began seriously questioning Dom's effectiveness after the embarrassment in the 2012 playoffs against Kap and the 49ers.

However, the criticism of Capers was more muted in 2013 and 2014 only to increase again in 2015.

It took 2 more seasons of abject failure for Mac to finally, and mercifully, pull the plug on Dom.

Let's hope if MLF does not have that same type of faith in Pettine ... if he does not truly believe it is warranted.

Edited by TheOnlyThing