Fire Pettine

MacReady

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

No, the chatter is stronger with Pettine now (after year 2) than it was with Capers until the very end (after 9 years as DC) -- both with the fan base and the usually avoid all controversy or upset (other than McGinn) Packer press .

Remember, Capers was the DC when the Pack won the SB in 2010 with the number 1 scoring defense.

That allowed him to avoid being blamed when the D finished 32nd or last in 2011 in yards allowed.

A minority of voices began seriously questioning Dom's effectiveness after the embarrassment in the 2012 playoffs against Kap and the 49ers.

However, the criticism of Capers was more muted in 2013 and 2014 only to increase again in 2015.

It took 2 more seasons of abject failure for Mac to finally, and mercifully, pull the plug on Dom.

Let's hope if MLF does not have faith in Pettine 

Anyone know if Pettine's contract is up?  Usually they sign two year deals if I recall right, and he could be out of term.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Anyone know if Pettine's contract is up?  Usually they sign two year deals if I recall right, and he could be out of term.

I tried finding this and it’s virtually impossible to find contract information on coordinators.

With LaFleur's relationship with Saleh and the jump that the Niners D made, I think that Richard makes a lot of sense. Our personnel (outside of ILB) seems to be a good fit for the Seattle scheme and getting something out of Josh Jackson would mean something to Gute. 

The fact that the whispers have started makes me think LaFleur is at least considering a change and after the Capers experience, I'd rather get rid of a coordinator too early than too late. This defense should've been much better than it was. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Pettine isn't going anywhere, yet. The players seem to love him. Firing him would be a locker room disaster. Upgrade IDL, and ILB and give him another year.

How do we upgrade IDL and ILB ....

You can't just magically upgrade a position, if you put resources into A then it moves away from B.  Obviously if you hit on late draft picks, it boost your net roster but if only it was that easy.

We've given Pettine - two high paid expensive stud pass rushers, we've given the defence most of the premium picks. We have a secondary full of picks, a stud DT. I don't want to knee jerk fire someone after a bad game but he needs to learn to do more with less. Everyone demands Rodgers puts up elite numbers throwing to JAGs but apparently Pettine can't win unless he has elite players in every spot. 

Everyone gets older every year.  Most of our better offensive players our getting on and the offense will continue to regress badly unless that gets serious investment both in picks and in free agents that aren't 30+.

If Pettine can't do it without elite players everywhere then its all very well giving him more DTs and LBs but what happens if Amos gets injured. Or a corner goes down. He has to do something with lesser players. 

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

For @Outpost31

I don't want a younger Pettine, and not sure Leonard even is.

Jim Leonhard.   Former player at Wisconsin, and their current DC.  Played safety in the NFL for a decade.  Has some experience with our current scheme, and has been mentioned by a few people on this board.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Jim Leonhard.   Former player at Wisconsin, and their current DC.  Played safety in the NFL for a decade.  Has some experience with our current scheme, and has been mentioned by a few people on this board.

I think he was saying he doesn’t think Leonhard is a younger Pettine, not that he didn’t know who Leonhard is.

• Like 1