Fire Pettine

MacReady

2 minutes ago, Striker said:

Aaron Nagler -  LaFleur says he'll be meeting with Mark Murphy soon and then "We'll start making some decisions."

Lily Zhao - Packers Matt LaFleur said while the defense did a lot of great things this season, it was disappointing to see that performance in a championship game. Said all three phases were not up to par. Felt they didn't display the same energy and effort they'd shown in previous games.

//////////////////////

I'll be surprised if Pettine is let go. Just a hunch.

W/o going back and reading the entire thread, here are some of my thoughts.....Was this year's defense really that much better than previous ones?.....Seems to me we lost at least three players on the defense before the season started....Daniels at nose tackle, who when healthy was pretty good....Than the other two being Matthews and Perry....Matthews had lost a couple of steps and Perry never could stay healthy.....So in reality and in defense of Pettine, did we ever get our linebacking corps where it needed to be, and w/o Daniels, we lost rotation in our defensive line.....Add in a young and inexperienced secondary, my thoughts are what was to be expected?....Aaron Rodgers' statement about having a defense at the beginning of the season may have been a little premature and aimed at the previous leadership (McCarthy and Thompson)...

41 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  LaFleur not saying definitively that Pettine is safe is the best thing to happen to me today.  If there’s no doubt, he obviously says Pettine is back.

He's getting fired.  LaFleur is going to go into Murphy's office and tell him he wants his own guy.  I know Pettine seems to be popular with the players, but this isn't a popularity business.  If LaFleur thinks he's got someone better that is more in line with his way of thinking he's going to make that move. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler -  LaFleur says he'll be meeting with Mark Murphy soon and then "We'll start making some decisions."

Lily Zhao - Packers Matt LaFleur said while the defense did a lot of great things this season, it was disappointing to see that performance in a championship game. Said all three phases were not up to par. Felt they didn't display the same energy and effort they'd shown in previous games.

//////////////////////

I'll be surprised if Pettine is let go. Just a hunch.

I would've been until the presser. Too many damning statements today. Biggest one being a total lack of commitment to Pettine when asked directly about him. He's gone.

Mac ALWAYS reiterated his commitment to Dom, the only year he didn't was the year he fired him. 

I think he used the words disappointing and disturbing when describing his feelings toward the defense and their energy Sunday.

I think the words were damaging to a relationship. Therefore I don't see Pettine and LaFleur maintaining said relationship. You can't be Mr "All Gas, No F'n Brakes" and accept a coaching performance like Sunday.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

IF we ever go back to the Super Bowl in the next few seasons, safe to say we gotta go through the 49ers

And Shanahan was Pettine's OC... Kyle can coach circles around the guy's scheme

That's a huge weakness, IMO.  If Pettine was next-level smart, he'd use Shanny's confidence and knowledge about Pettine's scheme against him.  We're talking full on Sun Tzu here.  He had his chance last Sunday to blindside Shanny, to know his enemy better than his enemy knew him and devise a scheme that would punch him in the throat.  To be Hannibal at Cannae, outsized but capable of winning the battle.  He's just not a supreme strategist, and combined with some serious mismatches, this game was not meant to be.

11 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

IF we ever go back to the Super Bowl in the next few seasons, safe to say we gotta go through the 49ers

And Shanahan was Pettine's OC... Kyle can coach circles around the guy's scheme

From the results for Pack vs 49ers this year … yes.  They are The Packers worst possible matchup team in the NFL.  However, next year is a whole new ballgame.  Way to many variables working for and against the Niners.  They lost 3 games and could have easily been 5-6.  They lost to Atlanta and Seattle at home.  Seattle, Arizona and Rams gave them all they could handle each time.  LF in his 1st year learned a whole lot … remember it.  The slate is clean next year with the 49ers on the radar with nothing written in stone.      

Edited by coachbuns

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would've been until the presser. Too many damning statements today. Biggest one being a total lack of commitment to Pettine when asked directly about him. He's gone. Mac ALWAYS reiterated his commitment to Dom, the only year he didn't was the year he fired him. I think he used the words disappointing and disturbing when describing his feelings toward the defense and their energy Sunday. I think the words were damaging to a relationship. Therefore I don't see Pettine and LaFleur maintaining said relationship. You can't be Mr "All Gas, No F'n Brakes" and accept a coaching performance like Sunday.

Could very well be. Dont know. Could be he expresses disappointment and sounds Pettine out for reasons / reasoning...i.e. puts him on notice....or not. Time will tell.  That said.....perhaps they'll be discussing this little nugget.....

Zach Kruse  - I'm sure this stat was found by someone on Sunday or earlier this week, but the 49ers were the first team to win a playoff game with 8 or fewer passing attempts since...1974. Almost 50 years.

Edited by Leader