Fire Pettine

MacReady

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Could very well be. Dont know. Could be he expresses disappointment and sounds Pettine out for reasons / reasoning...i.e. puts him on notice....or not. Time will tell.  That said.....perhaps they'll be discussing this little nugget.....

Zach Kruse  - I'm sure this stat was found by someone on Sunday or earlier this week, but the 49ers were the first team to win a playoff game with 8 or fewer passing attempts since...1974. Almost 50 years.

You put your coordinator on notice in private, not publicly. If he keeps Pettine, I'm disappointed in how he handled the presser then.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You put your coordinator on notice in private, not publicly. If he keeps Pettine, I'm disappointed in how he handled the presser then.

Could be right as well. A variable that makes me wonder is MLF's relative inexperience. Does he have the chops to cut him loose and does he have the contacts to get a good replacement to come to GB? Cant say.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Could be right as well. A variable that makes me wonder is MLF's relative inexperience. Does he have the chops to cut him loose and does he have the contacts to get a good replacement to come to GB? Cant say.

Sure he does ... he's one of the brightest young coaches in the league and he's about as safe as anyone in his job security.

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would've been until the presser. Too many damning statements today. Biggest one being a total lack of commitment to Pettine when asked directly about him. He's gone.

Mac ALWAYS reiterated his commitment to Dom, the only year he didn't was the year he fired him. 

I think he used the words disappointing and disturbing when describing his feelings toward the defense and their energy Sunday.

I think the words were damaging to a relationship. Therefore I don't see Pettine and LaFleur maintaining said relationship. You can't be Mr "All Gas, No F'n Brakes" and accept a coaching performance like Sunday.

Yup and it happened twice against the Niners in the same season. He has to think in the back of his mind be doesnt want this to happen again when making this decision.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

4 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Yup and it happened twice against the Niners in the same season. He has to think in the back of his mind be doesnt want this to happen again when making this decision.

Yeah .. you'd think Pettine would have learned something the first time.  Instead they went out an got humiliated even worse on National television.  I don't think Pettine had the horses to shut them down, but to get flat ran over and butt kicked again was not a good look.  

50 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

IF we ever go back to the Super Bowl in the next few seasons, safe to say we gotta go through the 49ers

And Shanahan was Pettine's OC... Kyle can coach circles around the guy's scheme

Wile the 49ers are stacked...People probably said that about GB in 2011. League is variable and things change quickly. Look where the 49ers were a season, 2 seasons go.

53 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would've been until the presser. Too many damning statements today. Biggest one being a total lack of commitment to Pettine when asked directly about him. He's gone.

Mac ALWAYS reiterated his commitment to Dom, the only year he didn't was the year he fired him. 

I think he used the words disappointing and disturbing when describing his feelings toward the defense and their energy Sunday.

I think the words were damaging to a relationship. Therefore I don't see Pettine and LaFleur maintaining said relationship. You can't be Mr "All Gas, No F'n Brakes" and accept a coaching performance like Sunday.

This so much this.

After Dom's defense embarrassed the franchise before the nation in the 2016 NFC Championship loss in Atlanta (44 points, nearly 500 yards), McCarthy defiantly declared, when asked about the status of his DC at his end of the season press conference: "Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach. That doesn't change.

Thus, McCarthy immediately shut down any speculation that Dom (a) would not be returning to coordinate his defense in 2017 and (b) did not have the full support of his head coach.

Contrast that to what happened today (with several Packer writers followers openly questioning whether Pettine would return). When given an opportunity to similarly show his support for Pettine after the putrid defensive performance in the 2019 NFC Championship, MLF conspicuously declined to do so.

How can Pettine possibly return and coordinate the defense with any authority in 2020 when every Packer fan, reporter/blogger, coach, GM, and player is aware that MLF did not have his back at the 2019 season closing press conference?

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

How can Pettine possibly return and coordinate the defense with any authority in 2020 when every Packer fan, reporter/blogger, coach, GM, and player is aware that MLF did not have his back at the 2019 season closing press conference?

Because they're not six years old?  We're less than a week from that loss.  If the Packers are reactionary to that loss, I'm concerned.  I have no issues with them taking their time evaluating the entire staff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because they're not six years old?  We're less than a week from that loss.  If the Packers are reactionary to that loss, I'm concerned.  I have no issues with them taking their time evaluating the entire staff.

That wasn't a loss. That was record breaking domination. 

Reactionary is the correct route.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That wasn't a loss. That was record breaking domination. 

Reactionary is the correct route.

Yeah. I wont' speak to Pettine, but I really wish MM would have been reactionary when domination happened to Capers in the playoffs because it was telling of ineptitude to come.

Edited by Arthur Penske

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Guys guys guys (and Pugger) - it wasn't Pettine's fault - Shanny was priming the refs before each play.  Listen in...

Well, ok, Pettine still sucked this game, but damn man.  

Tbh I’d bet this happens all the time. Didn’t Bakhtiari do the same thing with the Hands to the Face vs. Lions?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Tbh I’d bet this happens all the time. Didn’t Bakhtiari do the same thing with the Hands to the Face vs. Lions?

Players talk to refs all the time during the game - that I expect.  I admit to being a bit suprised that Shanny told the ref the play and the exact place where he suspected the foul would occur.  And like clockwork, that ref stared it down and had his flag our of his pants before the ball even hit the turf.

Can we let the refs call the damn games without being primed by coaches just before the ball is snapped?  If I'm the ref, I'm not giving any coach my ear just moments before the snap.  That's a reflection of the ref more than it is Shanny.