Fire Pettine

MacReady

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's a lot of ways to look at this.

On the positive side.

• The defense improved significantly overall.
  • The defense was altered to fit this year's crop of talent rather than last year's.
  • The defense seemed to really enjoy playing for the guy and he has the support of the locker room. 
  • Guys like King and Jaire took steps forward.
  • Potentially found a passable Dime DB off the scrap heap in Sullivan.
  • We were able to work in an older Tramon in such a way that he became an asset rather than a hindrance to the defense. 
  • We had a rookie Safety who never really embarrassed himself in the regular season.
  • Amos proved to be everything we were hoping for and was integrated into the defense well. 
  • At no point in the year did Martinez kill us and was overall a positive contributor.
  • Kenny Clark showed strong again. 
  • Both Z and P were utilized very well and had career years. 

On the negative side.

• Was there enough improvement considering the talent level improvement on the defense? There are a lot of plus talents on this defense to be rolling out a league average unit.
  • The worst game plan I have ever seen in a playoff game. A truly embarrassing loss.
  • Is the defense too simple to succeed in the modern NFL?
  • Are his tendencies to play a ton of light boxes capable of succeeding in the NFL? You have to be able to stop the run and with Lancaster/Lowry/Goodson getting snaps, I'm not sure it can be done light. 
  • Is he overly conservative to the point of damaging the overall unit? We baby our CBs and we didn't blitz this year.
  • Pettine had to have some input on Lowry and his deal, and that blew up in our face.
  • Adams regressed this year, and truthfully so did Lancaster. 
  • No positive development of Oren Burks and a failure to develop another ILB.

Also literally no positive development for Jackson.  Josh Jones was cut instead of having an opportunity to progress.  Rashan Gary and all his physical ability did not see the field in any sort of creative way.

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is he overly conservative to the point of damaging the overall unit? We baby our CBs and we didn't blitz this year.

The CBs aren't that good, and the overall pass defense wasn't very good outside of the pass rush which was insane.

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Guys like King and Jaire took steps forward.

King played in the games which is a step forward.  He looked worse than he did as a rookie though.  Jaire did not take a step forward from what I watched.  He was a superb No. 2 corner but someone you wouldn't describe as a lockdown guy.  His tackling and effort level is very impressive, but it wasn't anything more than we had seen previously.

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Amos proved to be everything we were hoping for and was integrated into the defense well. 

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also literally no positive development for Jackson.  Josh Jones was cut instead of having an opportunity to progress

This part is on the players not the coach in my opinion.  Jones is not on a team.  Jackson will be in a similar position next year.

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Rashan Gary and all his physical ability did not see the field in any sort of creative way.

This is on the coach.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

This part is on the players not the coach in my opinion.  Jones is not on a team.  Jackson will be in a similar position next year.

The notion that Pettine should be blamed for not developing Josh F'ing Jones (the guy who demanded a trade out of GB last March and did not play a single game in the NFL in 2019) has to be a joke, right?

20 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

This is on the coach.

Didn't Josh Jones come down with some sort of serious illness that prevented his playing? 

Josh Jackson was drafted as a development project. I believe he started out at Iowa as a WR, then was switched to defense. Next year will be the big test for him to see if he learned the DB position. I think he was specifically being groomed to replace Tramon Williams. At least that was the implication by his position coach who explained the reason Jackson wasn't playin more was because Williams would have to come out of the game if Jackson went in. I think Williams contract is up, so 2020 will be the make or break year for Jackson. 

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Weren't you the one that said before the game that this wasn't our year to go to the Super Bowl, but next year would be the year? Why are you angry? You were right. You mostly are.

BECAUSE NOW I COULE BE WRONG IF PETTINE IDIOTS HIS WAY TO ALLOWING 37 POINTS IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

Let’s be realistic here... We shouldn’t have allowed the Seahawks to score 23.  Their offensive line was crap, they had no running game at all and Wilson willed his way to 23.  The only reason that’s excusable is because we won.

29 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The CBs aren't that good, and the overall pass defense wasn't very good outside of the pass rush which was insane.

King played in the games which is a step forward.  He looked worse than he did as a rookie though.  Jaire did not take a step forward from what I watched.  He was a superb No. 2 corner but someone you wouldn't describe as a lockdown guy.  His tackling and effort level is very impressive, but it wasn't anything more than we had seen previously.

Not sure how King played worse than his rookie year? He led the team in INTs and  2 less PBUs than Jaire. He gave up some plays, but I wouldn't go as far to say he was worse than 2017.

Don't forget. The Niners faithful was trying to run Saleh out of town last year, he almost got dumped. Now he's a God DC getting HC interviews. That's because in one offseason the GM added Bosa, Ford, Kwon and Greenlaw and other players like Buckner, Armstead,  Ward and Warner blew up after average past years. 

In short, the Niners didn't have guys like Lowry, Lancaster, Martinez and Goodson as anchors on their front 7. Those guys wouldn't come close to seeing meaning snaps for the Niners let alone start. Stated another way, if you switched the DCs, we'd be talking about firing Saleh while Pettine would be playing in the SB. Simple facts.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

BECAUSE NOW I COULE BE WRONG IF PETTINE IDIOTS HIS WAY TO ALLOWING 37 POINTS IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

Let’s be realistic here... We shouldn’t have allowed the Seahawks to score 23.  Their offensive line was crap, they had no running game at all and Wilson willed his way to 23.  The only reason that’s excusable is because we won.

We will be a better team next year, and SF will be weaker. 

As for Seattle, I still put the onus on our offense. We need to control the ball better and make better in-game adjustments.