Fire Pettine

MacReady

Not to be knee jerk but this game was enough to to consider moving on from Pettine. We might need more talent at spots but you don’t see simple things like having a head for every gap missing in nfl games. We were out of position so much and that’s like 80-20 coaching-talent. 

I’m going to explain to you the problem that has plagued this Defense since 2008......it’s not good. I know ground breaking, but hear me out.

The old Packers Teams could rely on a heavy weapons filled offense to straight overwhelm teams  in the regular season and mask their crappy D. Except only to run into tough defenses and good coaches and get bulldozed in the playoffs on both sides of the ball.

This year was the samething except with a crappy offense. This defense managed to squeak out games but NEVER put anyone away or put together 4 Quarters of solid play.

However, when you finally get to the playoffs it’s a whole different ballgame and once again this defense got bulldozed and offense got bamboozeled like they usually do.

Same problem every year. This defense and offense are just NOT ELITE enough for the playoffs against championship caliber teams.

I mean when you have to win your last season game of the season on a last second FG against the lowly Lions, do you even deserve to be in the same sentence as 49ers or Chiefs?

This was the crappiest 13-3 team I have ever seen. Defense had the two Smiths and offense had Jones and Adams. Literally no one else was memorable even Aaron. Compare that to the stacked rosters of Chiefs and 49ers.

Packers have spent two decades being the doormat of teams headed to the SuperBowl. 

Since 2000 under 3 coaches (Sherman, MM, and now LaFleur) we have probably made the playoffs the most of any other team in the NFC in those years and we have 1 championship to show for it.

Edited by PackGymRat

People here talking about average DVOA.... I think we've had enough defenses that have an average DVOA and then give literal records in the post season. Last night is the third highest rushing yardage game in the playoffs since 2000, the first being also Green Bay vs San Francisco (I don't even need to tell you which game, right?).

It was also the second highest rushing performance by a single player in the playoffs EVER, the first being a game in 1986.

Frankly, after this game, we could be #1 in regular season DVOA and I wouldn't give a ****. Last night was absolutely inexcusable as a DC.

EDIT: sources (last night is not updated yet but you can check 285 total yardage or 220 single rusher yardage and see where they place)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2000&year_max=2019&game_type=P&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&temperature_gtlt=lt&c1stat=rush_yds_opp&c1comp=gte&c1val=250&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_td

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=1950&year_max=2019&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos[]=QB&pos[]=WR&pos[]=RB&pos[]=TE&pos[]=OL&pos[]=DL&pos[]=LB&pos[]=DB&is_starter=E&game_type=P&career_game_num_min=1&career_game_num_max=400&qb_start_num_min=1&qb_start_num_max=400&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&c1stat=rush_yds&c1comp=gt&c1val=150&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_td

Edited by Packer_ESP

I didn't specifically see a coordinator problem I saw a DL and ILB group get mauled. Other than Clark, the other interior players were just getting consistently blown out of their gaps. I see this as highlighting the need for DL and ILB rather than a damning indictment of Pettine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I didn't specifically see a coordinator problem I saw a DL and ILB group get mauled. Other than Clark, the other interior players were just getting consistently blown out of their gaps. I see this as highlighting the need for DL and ILB rather than a damning indictment of Pettine.

All-22 isn't up yet so I'm just watching the TV feed, but let's not leave the DBs out of this. 

Jaire, Tramon, Amos, and Savage in particular were all targeted in the run game in the first half. All regularly flunked the test. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Pettine is doing the same thing that the 49ers are doing but without the talent on DB and ILB.

In the divisional game we played 5.1 DBs, 1.3 ILBs, 2.3 Edge, 2.3 DL against 2.7 WRs, 1.0 TEs, 1.0 RBs, and 5.3 OL

In the divisional game the 49ers played 4.61 DBs, 2.39 ILBs, 2.22 DL, 1.78 Edge against 2.5 WRs, 1.5 TEs, 1.0 RBs, and 5 OL

We aren't doing anything close to the same thing defensively. Not even in the ballpark. Not from a personnel perspective, not from a scheme perspective, not from a coverage perspective, not even from a rush perspective. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In the divisional game we played 5.1 DBs, 1.3 ILBs, 2.3 Edge, 2.3 DL against 2.7 WRs, 1.0 TEs, 1.0 RBs, and 5.3 OL

In the divisional game the 49ers played 4.61 DBs, 2.39 ILBs, 2.22 DL, 1.78 Edge against 2.5 WRs, 1.5 TEs, 1.0 RBs, and 5 OL

We aren't doing anything close to the same thing defensively. Not even in the ballpark. Not from a personnel perspective, not from a scheme perspective, not from a coverage perspective, not even from a rush perspective. 

did they really average 1 RB? Thought Juscyzyk played a lot